Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Sturgeon Lake (south of Duluth)

18 posts in this topic

Just want to know the condition and any possible reports of this lake. Posted the question in the chisago/hinckley forum but no responses...sturgeon does seem to be in than inbetween dead zone.

There is one house on the lake, the snow really did an number on the lake, i see there is one snowmobile track accross the middle, i have been fishing island a little bit , only by foot, i myself would take maybe just a snowmobile out i think wheelers would be stuck, hope this helps laugh.gif

Good point about that area being a dead zone in the forums. How about a forum for the northern pine and carlton county area? It would cover lakes like Sturgeon, Island, Oak, 11, 12, 13, Net Lake, Coffee, Eagle, Chub, Sand, Dago.......... Plus the trout streams that run through the area.

I'm always switching back and forth between East Central and BWCA Duluth looking for these lakes.

I'd be traveling by foot if I do go, so hopefully there's some good spots right out from the access.

Sturgeon is pretty much in no man's land for me, too far of a drive from the cities for 1 day of fishing. It's just a freak chance that I'm in the area this weekend.

you might want to try island just off public ramp just to the left out of weed edge. or try sand lake ,if you can find the fire hydrent on east side of the lake. not the freeway side.ithink if go on old 61 and take sand lake road you shoud find it.short walk to the south just off the weeds.got 3-4 eyes at dark last year ther but spent alot!!!!of time on the lake

JB having had a cabin on Sturgeon for thirty odd years and knowing people in the area it is still hard to get info. That said I would try the southwest end at this time of the year if I was walking out. If you look at a lake map you can see a finger of structure that comes towards shore out from camp miller. This can be a good early walleye spot. You can park at that end as the Red Oak[old name] has an entrance there. Dim your light and quiet down at dusk, Sturgeon can put out nice walleyes. About a 10-15 minute walk.

Woodsman, we live on lake 12, pretty dead here too just lots of small crappies ... as ususal, as for island lake that is not safe either, out in front of tha access, 3 inches of ice and lots of snow, that snow put a damper on ice making, lots of slush pockets also, it will be a while before they are driving out there laugh.gif

Hey woods how did you get to the public access on Dago? I think I would like to try this lake. The DNR page doesn't have a map so any info would be great!!! email me if you want fishersland@yahoo.com

You take HWY 61 South towards willow river , and about half way there you will see dago lake road it will be on youe left, take that go i would say about 3-4 miles , go over the freeway and on your left you will see where they clear cut it, and there will be a dago lake park sign i think , it is kind of hard to see bu it is there go down there and it will bring you right to the lake, it is pretty open in there !!!!

Hope this helps JEREMy tongue.gif

Thanks for the info. I might make it out there this weekend if I can. I'll let you know how it was.

Where on the lake do you live??? Have fished 12 for eight years. Can not figure out why the crappies are so small but they sure are fun to catch. Some nice northerns also. Two years ago we pulled a 23" eye out of there, its still in there.

The lake looks like an awesome bass lake. We did manage to put in a 14ft boat at the launch after dragging thru the cattails with out much luck, well watching something hitting in the pads Thinking of walking out on Mon let me know whats going on. Thank>>>>later the load

we live on the north end, yes there are nice nice pike and bass in here in the summer, if you want to meet up i may be around post here or pm me we can exchange laugh.gif #'s Later

Hey riverman, hit 12 monday and got one record crappie,10.5inch,. Found no slush on the lake and were infront of your place I am sure. Not alot of people action on the lake. We like to fish the bay at the south end and do quite well. Went by Island, and Sturgen, not much traffic on either. Maybe after all the slush is gone things will pick up>>>later the load

I agree also on another board for Northern Pine/Southern Carlton County. I can never find anything and have to jump back and forth.

Load,

Did you have the maroon f 150, and yes you were in front of our place, we were out there on sunday caught some small ones is it confused.gif , ive been on island a little still lots of slush..

tongue.gif

Yep that was I. Have loadmaster on the back window of the shell. One thing we did notice, when the sun started setting, the bite just shut down. Alot of fish on the graph but no takers. Next time you see us, stop on out.>>>later the load

It is not an afternoon or night lake dont waste your time , get there in the morning early and set out some tip ups!!! you will catch them better in the Am

KettleKid,

I've been fishing Sturgeon for 20 years. The in-laws have a place on the west side. Most of my adventures on the ice have been chasing flags for pike. Any tidbits you're willing to share about finding some winter crappies? I've been able to find them in the summer but never in the winter.