Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gogophers

Walking out

18 posts in this topic

Hoping to get up Friday and don't have a sled/wheeler, so I'll be hoofing it, dragging the Yukon flipover behind me. Any recommendations on decent fishing spots that aren't too far from shore...preferably on the southern 1/2 of the lake?

Gopher...i was thinking the same thing you were. I am heading up Saturday and will be hoofing my Yukon and gear. I am also wondering if there are any flats that are walkable to.

I'll be happy to post results if I get up there on Friday.

Appreciate any info Gopher. I figure in the next couple of days both of our "knowledge ball"s are going to grow!

I would NOT think about waliking to any flats with the amount of snow on the lake, that is VERY good advise! grin.gif

TRZ - that is good advice! Not looking for anyones honeyhole, just available fishing within 1/2 mile of shore

Thanks TRZ....all of the flats I know are way out there! Oh well, what about the rock bar by Garrison? That might be an option.

hit the first shoreline breaks 13'-22'. lots of options and not too bad of a walk anywhere from cashs bay all the way to wealthwood. 1/2 mile walk at most to alot of really good spots.

Appreciate the info Prong!

Thanks 3prong, appreciate the attention - anyone with ideas a bit further south?

I would recommend packing LITE! It was no fun hauling the Eskimo through all the snow that is on the lake. We walked out near the Super 8?? on 169 and ended up with a couple small perch. If you head out, good luck.

It will definately be the bare essentials, I'm not against getting a workout, but it sounds like this is something else.

It's more than a workout. It was a near death experience for me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack! shocked.gifgrin.gif

any reefs on the south side should be good, like banana, graveyard, malone islan etc. deffinitely off the first and second break during the day, and pretty close to up on at night if you stay out that late... the best actions seems to be in 12-18 fow, i just hope this cold snap again doesnt do anyhting, there predicting some bitter cold this weekend... and high winds on thursday and friday...

I usually do well whenever I walk out onto the lake with the yellow perches.. I catch some nice jumbo ones too, believe it or not.... I also catch a pike here and there once in a while, but walleyes are hard to catch walking out from shore.

Thanks for the info, not going to be picky about what I catch due to my limited mobility on foot.

Iv had great success walking out for walleyes this time of year, about a 80 yard walk, right out my front door

IN robbinsdale? Or care to share where you live???