Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigyooper

OK, so we're going to try the nite bite, but how safe is it going to be

4 posts in this topic

We are going to give it a try on Friday, I am wondering if it's going to be safe to bring the wheeler out in the dark, wondering if anyone has any tips on where to go from the landing on pike bay loop. I don't mind catching pout if anyone has any tips on where to fish them at?

Yooper, I have a buddy out there as we speak checking out some spots with the snowmobile. I have heard of ice up to 9 inches, but we will see. I will leave a report in the morning as I may head out there after work as well.

BE CAREFUL!!! I was out there yesterday afternoon and got stuck three times in the slush... Ice was anywhere from 5 inches to 9.5 inches.. Some pressure ridges are forming but they are hard to see with the snow cover... There is around 12-14 inches of snow on the ice..

I was able to four wheel everywhere I went... There is some thin ice from reports I've been hearing on the south end by the access....

Take your time and bring a chisel with the check ice at times... Good Luck..

Beef

Pout tips! Finally a subject I can get excited about! grin.gif There's a whole bunch of deep humps out in the "middle" of Pike Bay. Find one that tops off around 25 to 30 feet and punch a bunch of holes. Hard bottomed humps seem to be best. My favorite lure is a buckshot spoon in perch/green glow. I actually use smaller ones (1/4 oz) and pack the treble with meat. I lost a monster pout out there last winter. Hope you nail 'em.