Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
masterpuppet

west newton

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if anyone has been out there lately? Thinking about going that way on Saturday just looking for ice info. Thank you

I was out there 2 weekends ago and the ice was 1.5-3" and fish were being caught. Good Luck

I haven't fished West Newton or Wilcox since the mid 80s. Can someone refresh my memory on how to get to them? Head southeast from Kellogg is about all I remember to get to West Newton.

That, and there was a little tackle shop called Shorty's back there someplace. He had a sign inside that said "If you don't see what you're looking for, you don't need it." Right to the point, Shorty was.

Soda,

I wish I could help more, but I got lost going to both places 2 weekends ago (was my first time to west newton). I know we did go right by that Shorty's bait shop on the way to West Newton. I'm not sure I could find it again, without looking at a map of some sort.

Does anyone know if this is considered a border water or will i need to get a minnesota license?

This is considered a border water and a MN or WI licence will be fine. To get to West Newton you have to go by Short'ys bait and take a left on co. rd. 84. Follow this till you come to your first road on your left hand side approx. 4 miles from Shorty's. It will be marked with a West Newton sign or a Half Moon Landing sign. Follow that road till it comes to an end. You will have to park at the landing because West Newton is private property and has a locked chain gate. The best fishing will be right in front of the boat launch, the further in you go the more current and less ice so be careful. Good luck

Thanks for the info, Bugman. Shorty's is still there? I'll have to stop and buy a teardrop or two. I still have an ice rod I bought there over 20 years ago. It's a no-name rod with a round black plastic reel on it. The price sticker ($3.95) is worn, but is still on the reel.

Do you know the way to Wilcox?

I made it out to wilcox and pioneer today very little luck, just a few small gills. best action was at the third pond at wilcox (if that is how you word it) The bite was very light with the gills just sucking in the waxie and spitting it out.

good luck

Sorry I'am not that familiar with Wilcox? Shorty is still there but I think the sign on the building reads Prarie bait shop. Either he or his son will be working and I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. I hope to be heading down sat. morning maybe see you on the ice.

Wilcox landing is located north of Co. Rd. 24, south of Wabasha. Coming from Wabasha on Co. Rd. 30, take a left (east) on 24 and go about a half a mile till you see the public landing sign then take a left.

Its been probably 10 years or so now since I've been ice fishing in this area. Is anyone familiar with the finger lakes or 5 finger lakes near Wabasha?

If I recall correctly it was a little difficult to walk to them but once we got there the crappie fishing was pretty good.