• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hillmans road update 12/10/07

Random guy

I spoke with Buddy today and the next few days he is going to begin allowing 1/2 ton trucks and smaller onto the ice.

Now several things about this; This means 1/2 ton trucks not 1/2 ton extended cab five guys loaded up with ATVs, trailers and every piece of fishing gear you own or 1/2 tons pulling 20 foot tandem wheel houses behind and anything burning diesel stays on shore for a long time yet.

This means small light trucks.

I also want to convey a few things to ensure everybody’s safety.

Keep the speed very slow as moving across the ice fast only breaks up the road, I’m talking idle speed.

Stay away from the road when you are fishing, you don't want to be the guy responsible for drilling close to the road and flooding it so everybody has to go back to shore or making the big drift so nobody can get past.

Stay away from the pressure ridges and snow banks, the ice is still very unstable and moving around with the wind and weather.

Verify road/ice conditions before you make the trip, ice conditions may change daily for better or worse this time of the year.

Verify the condition with the road operaters before heading onto the ice or travel at your own risk during early ice periods.

I strongly second people going slow, especially early ice. Last year, after Christmas I was about 200 yards off the road and a three-quarter ton flew by about 70 mph and i got soaked. Not to mention I thought the ice was going to collapse. I am guessing the guys either had a couple of drinks or forgot the poo bag.

Thanks for the update Jon. I am planning on taking the wife up for her first ever trip in our new wheelhouse. We were planning on going up on the 27th, and coming home on the 30th. I know you do not have a crystal ball, and cannot predict the future. But with the weather we have been having, and with all your URL experience..... what do you think the odds are we can get out? I know I had read that you and Kelly do not put houses out until after Christmas, so I think we might be pushing it. With 2 small boys at home, babysitters are hard to come by. But it just so happens family can watch them that time.

Thanks!

Please forgive me, but I never bothered to ask this question before. I own a Silverado K1500. Is this considered a 3/4 ton because of the "1500"? If not, how do you tell what they are?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

1500 = half ton

2500 = three-quarter

3500= one ton

Now depending on how much gear you have your 1500 could easily turn into a 3500 duramax diesel grin.gif

Normaly by x-mass you should be safe. We head out around christmass day but we still tread very softly and careful about where we go.

Question I assume scince the road talked about is called Hillmas road, a person would only be able to get a sleeper from Hillmans.

Also, how far out are the sleeper houses?

Are there any other roads on Red Lake Yet?

I doubt that Buddy has any sleepers out there. We need alot more ice to put sleepers out there. Right now there is barely enough ice to support a small house. One good wind forming a drift around a house and the house becomes a basement room.

Any update available on ice thickness and whether Buddy Hillman is going to be letting people drive this weekend?

I bet you guys get annoyed answering the same questions all the time grin.gif

We appreciate it!

-Chris

The ice is staying the same. We're not gaining much ice with these mild temps the snow cover. Hopefully the wind forecasted for the next 24 hours moves some of the snow off the lake.

Hillman's are sponsers here so I believe I can post their phone number. 218-647-8504. Check with them for up to date info as things can be changing fast.

Just don't ask if you need an extension. grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks Bill!

Just called Hillmans and it sounds like that is where I am gonna be this weekend. I might need to get some new friends though, cuz nobody seems to be as enthusiastic about heading over there this weekend as I am?

Anyone on here wanna team up against the crappies/walleyes this weekend?

-Chris

SteepleChaser, we will be up there that same weekend. I think you were up there the same weekend as us last year. Didnt you have a kid that hooked into a big northern?

Hillman's have closed their road for pickups at 4 1/2 miles. Only wheelers and sleds beyond that. Buddy says to be very carefull off of the plowed road.

Just spoke with Buddy's crew chief a few minutes ago (6:30 pm) and they have closed the road at the three mile mark instead if the 4.5 decided this afternoon due to some cracking and the ice working around a bit this evening.Soon as the ice settles down he will open it back up.

How's the road shaping up are you still at 3-4 miles? Is the walleye bite pretty good just about anywhere a person sets up as of late? Thinking about going down there so I thought I ask before I go. Thanks

Last night Buddy opened the road out to 5 miles. Still no major increase in ice thickness or slush feezing up but the cracks in the road have healed up.