Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LetThemGo

Looking for Recommendation on a Sled Dog Fishing Guide

17 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a good ice fishing guide that does the sled dog thing in the Ely area. If anyone could make a recommendation/comment based on personal experience, or what they have heard from others, I would really appreciate it.

Here are the ones I'm aware of, but know little about:

1. Basswood Bob

2. Murphy's Border Country Adventures

3. Whispering Pines

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Murphy's.

Kelly Murphy is a class guy who will work hard for you in Lake Trout God Country. And he knows his onions. Well, he knows dogsledding and fishing, too. grin.gif

What are reasonable rates for these adventures?

Wintergreen

Does Wintergreen do ice fishing? I was on their website and saw nothing pertaining to fishing/sled dog trips, but I thought Ron Shara did fishing/sled dogging with them a few years back?

Wintergreen is one of the top dogsledding outfitters anywhere. I suggested Kelly Murphy because dogsledding/fishing is his specialty, and he's known for providing a great combination experience.

Thanks to STcat and everyone else that responded. I appreciate it, and if I make this happen I'll let you know how it went!

LTG, though it's not cheap Kelly will give you a lifetime experience.

Kelly is top notched. Although Wintergree offers a great service they do not specialize in fishing.

What questions would you ask of a guide before booking? In other words, how do the various services differ?

threeball, Web sites are logical starting points, though not all the mushers have them. The Ely Chamber of Commerce at www.ely.org is a good place to start. They have lots of info there.

When you get to the point where you want to phone a few of them, I'd ask the same types of questions you'd ask a fishing guide. What's included in the price? Will I be part of a group or will it be just me/my party? What activities will there be, and what gear/dress should I take appropriate to that? A good sled dog outfitter will want to know what you're looking to get out of the experience. For example, the needs of a photographer can be very different than the needs of a lake trout angler.

If you like, you can also get some references from the mushers to talk to past customers. While you're not going to be steered toward dissatisfied customers, talking with them still will offer you perspectives from the customer's point of view, which tends always to be just a little different than a guide's point of view.

Bill Slaughter is another guide that does the winter/dogsled trips.

LTG,

I don't think Whispering Pines does Sled dogs anymore. Dan sold his dogs a few years back and still has it on his website but I think now that he just contracts it out.

I did use Murphy back in 1999 and if I do it again I would start there. He took us back into a lake in the BWCA and came back 4 days later to get us. He also would have stayed with us if we had wanted that.

When is the best time for fishing during the Laker season?

Are there other things that make a particular time preferable or less preferable?

I personally have had better luck with winter lakers early rather than late in the season. The season starts two weeks earlier in the Bdub than non Bdub inland lakes. I don't know if that means fishing early is better than fishing late or whether it's just something I'm doing wrong.

Another consideration is weather. January and early February are the coldest months up here. March is generally significantly warmer, and the longer days give you more, well, daylight. grin.gif

Early almost always seemed to be better for me. Seems the first week and into the next weekend saw the most fish. Tends to pick up just a bit just before the end of season in March. Middle of the season? Slow.

A trip to Knife Lake with Murphy is well worth it.