Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dooger

Tulibee fishing around the lakes area

13 posts in this topic

I love smoked tulibee. I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly tell of some lakes where you have had great tulibee fishing in the past?? any info will be very helpful!!

I slayed them on Pillager a few years ago.

thats a good lake and is the only one i know of, im just looking to expand my horizons maybe find another lake, but i do still catch quite a few out there Thanks!! grin.gif

As far as I know theres not much for tulibee fishing in the area. I usually target whitefish when I'm looking for something to smoke. The south bay on Crosslake and Lower Hay seem to be the best places I've found for those.

Do u fish whitefish the same way you would tulibees over deep water on sharp breaks??

Pelican lake. Usually get some nice ones up to 2#. Its kind of hit and miss. There out in the deeper holes suspended, you need vexilar. But always have a small pimple rig set up with crappie minnow head. They use to come thru like clock work at 830am. Could get a dozen if you hit it right. Great sport on lite tackle, their fighters. Occassionally nailed a whitefish, wow do they fight.

I caught one on round tonight, was the first one i had ever seen, had to ask the guys in the shack next to me what it was. Do you just smoke them or are they good to fillet up and eat? It was a great fighter, fun to catch!

They are awesome fighters especially on ul stuff. thats why i love catching them!! the best way to prepare them is to smoke them however i have grilled them and sprinked brown sugar on them while on the grill and they were pretty tasty that way as well!! Were you fishing in front of the Ojibwa access??

I was out from where people park on 371 there.

I catch the whitefish in about 10-14ft. in weedy areas. I just use a small jigging spoon with a minnow head. Its neat on Cross with the clear water because they cruise the tops of the weeds and you can watch them come in and hit. They ussually come in anywhere from 4-8ft. off the bottom.

do you fish them mid day or closer to low light periods??

Any time during the day. There doesnt seem to be any better time.

Thanks for all the info i will have to give it a try!! very much appreciated!! smile.gif