Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jltimm

Garage Door Overhead Spring

11 posts in this topic

My 16' garage door overhead spring must have just broke.It has 2 springs, one on each side of center.The one on the right is broke. What does a guy have to do to fix it? Any garage door experts out there?

Hire a pro to do it. I think Fleet Farm sells the springs but they are dangerous if you dont know what you are doing. The one that did not bust should be replaced as well. I had mine done a couple of years ago and it cost around $150 to have them both done. Took them about a half hour to do it.

It can be a dangerous job if you have never done it. (or at least watched it being done) There are other things involved like making sure you have the proper length spring and coil diameter. It then involves relieving the tension on the remaining spring, removing the shaft mounting brackets and cable spools. You may as well replace both springs at the same time if you choose to do it. Two times I went the cheap route and did just one and two times I ended up replacing the other one a short time later.

Like I said, it can be dangerous if you are not very careful so if there is any doubt, go with a trained tech. Most places will give you a warranty on a spring that they install but not if you do it.

It's pretty easy to replace the springs. I've bought replacements at Menard's. They're color coded on the ends to match the tension strength you need. Block your door open, attach the replacements and safety cables and you're done.

I think he is referring to torsion style springs, not the old stretch style.

I disagree. If there's 2 springs on each side, those are the extention springs. They are very easy to replace just be sure you have the door in the up position, and clamp on some vice-grips on the track to keep the door from falling. Then (to simplify) look at the good side and make the broken side look the same. It may tak a little tugging on your part but it really is simple. Phred52

Just to clarify. The springs you are talking about are located on a metal shaft above and center the door? If so these are torsion springs. As mentioned above if you have seen it done you can probably do it. Here is a link maybe it will be helpful

Torsion Spring

Yes, it is the torsion spring system.

Quote:

Yes, it is the torsion spring system.

Be careful I've replaced a few and I smashed fingers pretty good! Seen broken fingers also and if released and tension unwindes watch out! always keep tools in place and use the stop each time you go for another bite to tighten tension.Its not hard but could be painful so take care and use caution.

I stand corrected. I've gotta learn to read more carefully. Phred52

Eurolarva great post!!!!!!!!!!!! !! I've done the repair 6-8 times myself and never seen it explained better. Most spring shops are happy to supply the springs needed for very resonable price (1/2) and I do think the repair is appropriate for someone who is mechanicaly inclined. Good all HTB