Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rather_B_Fishing

Power Augers

22 posts in this topic

I am ready to upgrade from my hand auger to a power one. I have been checking them out at Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Sportsman's Warehouse and Fleet Farm.

So far, the StrikeMaster Lazer Mag appears to be the best one for the money. I also want to check out a Nils Master, but none of the stores I've been to have them. Does anyone know which store(s) carries the Nils Master power augers?

Thanks.

You can buy a Nils here. http://fishingmn.com/sportgood.html

If you have questions about a very light, fast cutting auger, go to the forums and do a search and you can see what all have to say about this sweeeeet auger.

I love my Nils Master. Don't know of anybody that sells them locally. I had to order mine. Click on the Outdoor Pro Store link at the top right of this website. I got the longer model because I have a perm on the lake. It's a foot before you even hit the ice. It can burn 50:1 oil mix so it doesn't smoke much. The way the handle is set up you can drill corner holes up-tight to the walls in a fishhouse. And only 20 lbs. I can hold it out at arms length with one arm. Also it comes with a hand auger attachment. I have a 6" and a 8" bit. Best 2 cycle powerhead made.

For the money I don't think you can beat the Lazer Mag. I just sold mine even though it ran great. If money is not an issue and you want something lite the Nils or the Strike-lite is the way to go. I have always had great service whenever I stopped in Strikemaster and that is one of the reasons I am going to buy the Strike-lite.

(Note from Admin,please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-You.)

RBF,

I have one up here if you would like to stop in and try it out.

if you want a cheap, long lasting, and amazing auger go strikemaster. there are numerous dealers who have repaired augers. try going to d-rock in brooklyn park... he has the augers they use to drill the holes up in the brainerd jaycees contest.. he cleans em all up fixes any problems, and then sells them for cheap.

I second the strikemaster! I have the powermag 2000 (I think that is what the model is called) and I can't complain about it at all. Lightweight, cheap, and reliable as heck. The 8.25 inch is plenty of room too to land any fish out there, unless you tie into the state record musky. Don't know much about the Nils Master. Good Luck.

Hey walleyejoe. Can ya shoot me an email with the d-rock address if you have it. I thought they were in New Brighton but someone said they moved and I cant find em'. Thanks

excheeseheads@msn.com

stick with the strickmaster you will be happy and there is dealers all over. If you have trouble with the unit they are really good about standing behind it just my 2 cents

They were in New Brighton this Summer. I'll check into this and get back to you tomorrow am. They do more than work on augers. They have an excellent small engine shop. And landscape business also. At one time they were an authorized Strikemaster dealer.

Oophs !!!! Got an e-mail from adm. Guess I shouldn't have posted a # for D-rock. Sorry about that. Just trying to help.

If you looking to save alittle money i just got the eskimo 10" 1.8 hp at fleet farm for less than $300.00, and i love it so far..

Thanks rodmaker. Drove past there today during work blush.gif and was starting to second guess the rumors I heard.

i got my mag 2000 with a dual blade for 270 including an extender, and oil.... im tellin' ya this guy sells these things cheap and, he is very good at fixin' em up.. i honestly dont know where the store is now.... but i have had mine for 3 years and i honestly havent had to pull on it more then 4 times to start it in even the coldest weather. i wouldnt recommend anything but strikemaster. yea you can go cheaper. and you can go heavier and faster. but as i say everytime im buying fishing equipment i like to buy the best because i only want to buy it once. strikemasters warranty is unmatched, and the quality of there products are amazing. like i said they drill about 500 hundred holes with the auger head not the blade, you just by the auger head, and then you buy the blade seperate. this guy gives you a down right deal.

Quote:

If you looking to save alittle money i just got the eskimo 10" 1.8 hp at fleet farm for less than $300.00, and i love it so far..

I had an Eskimo for 3 seasons. Barely even used it, probably just used it 5 times max every winter, and after the 3rd season, it can no longer start. Now im stuck with it, and I dont know where to go to get it looked at and fixed for a reasonable price. I am very dissatisfied with my Eskimo Auger currently sitting in my garage. I forgot the model of it though.. But it is a red auger...

thats why all i have to say is strikemaster.

i mean dont get me wrong not everyone is going to be a perfect auger, but they are deffinitely the lund of augers....

Well I've had my Eskimo shark for about 7 yrs and i have never had any problems with it starting even in the coldest winters. After 3 yrs and already having problems, are you using bad gas? It might just be gumed up..try alittle seafoam for a cheap fix.

Was looking at a strikemaster today. Would you go chip or lazer blade?

Hands down Lazer. They cut like a knife through butter.

Quote:

Hands down Lazer. They cut like a knife through butter.

...true, but if you'll be reopening holes in a perm all winter, go chipper blades. My lazer bladers were shot after reopening a couple times.