Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Busdrivers33

Big/ Mitchell lakes

11 posts in this topic

I drilled a couple of holes on saturday night to check ice thickness. The ice was around 7" in the holes I drilled. I didnt venture too far from shore. Lots of slush on top. Just curious who was fishing out towards the channel in the black portable on sunday afternoon. And how much ice was out there. This was mitchell I was on.

Bus

Hey busdriver, Good to hear theres enough ice out there. I live right in that nieghborhood and I seen the same house out there. Just a heads up for you. I'm not sure if you plan on going out on Big Lake, but if you do be extreemly carefull by the deep hole out there. There wasn't any ice out there at all before the snow. It looks to be froze over, but its probally crappy ice.

Have you had anyluck out on Mitchell for crappies. I'm looking forward to going out there again this yr. to catch some Northerns, just for fun. I've never really had any luck catching crappies out there. How about you?????

and good luck

Drove by Mitchell and Big Lake an hour ago. Noticed a couple of lanterns, one way out in the middle, must have hoofed it! One portable 100 yards from the access. O'yea one of those two had thier black Olds Bravodo parked in the middle of the one lane access, please dont park there. You have to consider other fisher people may want to unload and get on the ice also.

Anyone fished the Little Hole contest? Anxious to see what comes out of the water this year as compared to last. Weather was nasty last year, but it was the best fishing board I've ever seen at the contest.

Hey Happy,

Yea I know what your talking about on big lake, it seems every year that the middle stays open alot longer. I rarely have fished big lake. I usually fish the contest though. About 3 years ago I did pull a 25" walleye through the ice on Big Lake. Pure luck. I havent made it out to mitchell fishing yet, but I have had some success with the crappies out there. Thier not huge but if you find them you usually can pick a handful of keepers out. I don't fish these lakes alot though, with all the other lakes around. And we usually do snag a northern or 2 on the crappie minnows.

Bus

Tomcat,

I have fished the contest the last 3 years. And boy your are right about the weather last year, cold and very windy and some freezing rain mixed in from what I remember. Your right about the board also, better catch a nice northern or bass to have any chance. My hole last year had plenty of small perch in it.

Bus

Has anyone fished Big or Mitchell this weekend? I'm heading out in the AM and wondering if its worth starting there.

I haven't fished the lake yet, but there were plenty out fishing there today.

I saw the same thing. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll post the results.

We were out almost all day Saturday and it was pretty slow. Crappie bite was really slow, but we picked one up every once in a while all day.

I noticed someone won the first truck on the ice race. Congratulations to whoever you are. The ice was 12" in places and 6" in others with slush on top.

Quote:

I noticed someone won the first truck on the ice race. Congratulations to whoever you are. The ice was 12" in places and 6" in others with slush on top.

Are you talking out the white SUV that drove out about noon? Im just glad he parked it eventually.

Im glad that someone caught some fish. I was out for a couple of hours on saturday and I dont even think I saw a fish on the vex. Maybe its because i wasnt anywhere near the "spearhouse city"