• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Like CK said, two people in seperate instances went down in south billhorn BSL and the one guy is very lucky to have been rescued. Like I said last week this bay is a death trap. Does anyone know when or what it takes for the DNR to mark "thin ice"? I have a unfortunate feeling there will be more people that are not aware of this bay and will end up swimming if they are not warned about the thin ice here.

Gotta look at the bag picture here Judd. With due respect, even if they had the manpower to do it, and could mark 100 dangerous areas a day, with over 10000 lakes in the state we would have ice out before they were finished. Then there is the matter of picking up all the signs. Even on a case by case basis, once they do one, people would expect them to do it everytime they call. To me that would possibly foster the idea that if its not marked it must be safe. That would be an even worse scenario. The DNR should not have to be in the business of running a nanny service. We all know the dangers of ice, how quickly they can change and need to be responsible for our families and ourselves.

I think the only way to handle it is to hope that the snowmobilers heed the warnings on DNR website, news stories, etc.

if the DNR marked all thin ice, then people would be upset is one spot WASNT marked and something happened. It's a tough situation with no easy solution except be responsible for yourself. Although I have seen 'thin ice' warnings on some lakes so the DNR or Sheriff must do this on occasion?? If so, 2 sleds going thru I think would definitely warrant it.

I have to admit, I figured the last week of below zero temps had probably shored things up on BSL but appears I was very wrong. I'm only trail riding this weekend after seeing these posts.

Good point...If DNR marked all thin ice then people would assume if not marked, it must be safe. However, there are lakes that I see are marked in different locations. Bigbart had a good point, with two poeple already down through the ice, maybe they should do something. Tough call, just hopefully the word gets around and nobody has any accidents.

The answer seems so common sence to me anyway.

Do not go out if you do not know if it's safe.

There's this thing called asking questions.

Call local DNR or law enforcement.

Go to the bait shops.Local business like the resorts on the lake.

This should give you the basic info you'd need to make an informed decision.

To blindly head out on a lake early in the season with a machine is just insane.

I scouted out an area the previous weekend on foot.

Our group had 8 this weekend and with the snow changing the ice ,1 guy went hip deep in water.....on foot no less with 7 " of ice below us.

All lakes are iffy at best for the next few weeks.

We can not post signs on every lake.

People need to become educated about the area's they are going to be riding.

Make an ask out of yourself....it may save a life.

I contacted the DNR for you and they sent me the following if you are interested in pursuing the matter further.

FROM THE MN DNR:

It is actually the county sheriff's departments that post thin ice signs. You can contact the Aitkin County Sheriff's Department at 218-927-7435. You may need to ask for the water patrol. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Terri Roesler

MN Department of Natural Resources

Boat & Water Safety Section

500 Lafayette Rd.

St. Paul, MN 55155-4046

651-259-5400

[email protected]

5 sleds dropped in as per scuttle.

Cops say 3 in BSL.

Anyway you look at it ,that ice is like russian roulette.

That is terrible, was it in south billhorn? You can go on and on about people need to become aware of ice conditions before they enter,checking with bait shops, resorts, etc but you are always going to have a few people that see people fishing and assume it's safe. Just maybe if the county would have sent a couple people out to post some areas like they do on Milacs (the resort owners post), it perhaps could have saved a life and a family from a lot of hurt. Doesn't the county use sentence to serve people to do a lot of winter work in which would not be costing the tax payers for those who comlain about that? Unfortunatly, I have a feeling this will not be the only victim of the season on this lake.

I'm not aware of the exact location.

All of the locals know that it's dangerous out there.

If the visitors would just inquire.

All of us fishermen for the most part are on foot.Unless they use quads to haul out and hug the shoreline.

There are very few places that can actually hold a machine from dropping through away from shore parked.

I've gone to several forums to shout the word of caution.

I hope it's helped.

Foot traffic is all I'd reccomend,yet still be onguard.