Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lucky

big birch lk

8 posts in this topic

just an update I went out of hunter pt on sunday. 5-7 inches of ice. Most peaple were fishing for panfish but they were not biting. I was fishing for walleyes in 12-14 feet and didnt get a bite gl all

Thanks for the update lucky. I didn't make it out myself but my dad said there were a bunch of portables in Hunters bay but not much going on the main lake. He tried Sat. evening for eyes and didn't get anything either. May head up this weekend, if I do I will definately post a report.

Made it out on the lake on Sat. evening. Only fished for a couple hours in the evening but found it pretty slow. One northern early on a jigging spoon but didn't get any eyes. They usually come through my spot right at sundown but nothing going this time. Didn't have anything to measure ice but I would say there was around 6" (just an estimate). Did see a bunch of portables and wheelers on the North end of the main lake.

thanks tr for posting that is going to help my choice for a lake tomarrow.

Heading out to Big Birch in about an hour, any new ice thickness reports? Will be on the southern half I think.

Put a permanent out for a freind last night by hunters bay I would guess between 10-12 inches in 17 fow.

Hey everyone new member here. Fixing to head out to Birch here pretty soon thinking around the corner of Hunters Bay, maybe jump couple places. Any advice? I'll let you know how we did.

Alright so I didnt go out to birch, tried out by sauk instead, not bad real real small crappies though nothing worth keeping

Was out Friday eve. on the South side looking for walleyes. found ice from 10" to 12". S/U in 17FOW Moved from 17' to 20' to 25' to 66' and all points in between. Fished for about 6.5 hrs. Marked a few. Wouldn't bite. Threw shiners, fatheads, crapps, spoons, jigs, hooks, glow, non-glow and just about everything else but the kitchen sink at 'em and nothin'.

We did have the "pleasure" of meeting a couple of our freindly DNR C.O.'s. Actually they were very kind and quite timely in their efforts. Of course we were within our limit of fish, because we didn't have any!

I don't fish out here in the winter very often, mainly cuz I have never actually caught a fish on the ice. Do fairly decent in the spring and summer though, so I haven't quite figured it out. Maybe next time.