• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

ice thickness, what's the real deal?

mniess

I'm out of laybacks. his blog is all doom and gloom about ice thickness. he is predicting a tough season. is mille lacs really not making ice? tongue.gif

It's a very odd start on the pond. In one spot on the west side where ice has been present longer than the east side, I had close to 8 inches. 30 yards away I had less than 4. I can only hope things will get better.

The blanket of snow is not helping at all. Trust the resort owners with what they say. Be careful and check the ice when you are out there, some places are thicker than others.

Hey Mick!

Long time...havn't seen you since last year on the ol' pond. Did you ever get your house fixed after the dastardly deed was done to it? I am hearing about 10" in Cove bay. I think we will be in for a good winter of fishing but need to be patient. The snow is not helping at all, but think of it this way...we will have plenty of snow for banking! cool.gif

Remember, it's still early. With these cold temps, we'll get ice. Hopefully we won't get anymore snow for a while. That didn't help things.

Just be careful out there.

Just outside of Isle Bay off of Malone Island I had 4 inches in about 18 feet of water and around 6 or 7 inches in 7 feet of water. The snow is doing a good job of insulating the ice. It was -5 degrees when I left the lake on saturday night at midnight and I never heard any booming or ice making all night!! There was less slush than I expected though, so that was nice. Most of the slush was in the shallow water areas where grass or reeds were poking out of the ice. There was one pocket of slush in about 15 feet of water that I had to trudge through out in front of Father Hennepin State Park and it was only about 15 feet by 15 feet in size. Other than that, 10-15 inches of snow on top of solid ice was the norm.

GoggleEye

I went out of Lyback's sunday. Not as much gloom and doom as the blog states. There was about 8" of ice most places. I got around ok with my old 2 wheel drive quad. The only problem I found was atleast 3 feet of slush under the ice in the spots I tried. You had to work at getting lines down, but it was worth going.

Scotty

I would trust what eddy says. Some friends and I fished out of Lyback's Sat. morning. My buddy's truck said it was -23 on the way up. We decided to walk over by Popes reef. We found a couple of spot with only 4 inches of crappy ice. The snow is definetly a BIG problem.

I am sure Eddy has seen plenty of people go through in his life and just doesnt want to see it anymore. Better to be safe than sorry. We will eventually get out there.

last time I remember resort owners usually lie to get you up there not keep you away! So I belive it, I am just hoping this cold froze the slush up because I plan on being up there next weekend for many days after my finals are over..

hey i work from a resort on the east side i have 8-9" out from shore aways but up by shore i have 4-5" with 1 crack that let water come up and it wont freeze so spent the entire day flooding the ice just trying to get rid of the snow so it will finnly penatrate. I have a hole day ahead of me just of just flooding cracks that hold water. talked to a freind who works for another resort on the east side and he will be pulling this week. It is just a roll of the dice on who will have good ice. But good fishing will be had by all soon

we had 5 inches at the most on the other side of the heave out from doe island, the ice wasn't the greatest out there. ice seemed decent in the bay though.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.