Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LefsaLad

Am I Legal?

3 posts in this topic

This is my first post so In hope I am doing it correctly. It takes us older Norwegians extra time to get the technology working correctly. I want to know if I am legal fishing tip-ups in this manner at my lake place. I can sit at in my recliner and watch my tip-ups and the Vikings at the same time. My closest set is about 150' and the farthest would 175' from the sliding glass door on the lakeside of my house. It seems to me that it would be no different than being in a permanent ice house. What do you think?

i read a couple of times in the outdoor news about this and it is illegal....comes with a hefty fine.

LefsaLad, welcome to FM/HSO. Your post is sure to generate some discussion here. Here's the statute language:

97C.321 RESTRICTIONS ON UNATTENDED LINES.

Subdivision 1. General prohibition. A person may not take fish by angling with a set line

or an unattended line except as provided in this section and rules adopted under the game and

fish laws.

Subd. 2. Ice fishing. A person may use an unattended line to take fish through the ice if:

(1) the person is within sight of the line; or

(2) a tip-up is attached to the line and the person is within 200 feet of the tip-up.

History: 1986 c 386 art 3 s 26; 1Sp1995 c 1 s 35; 1997 c 226 s 39

It's up to the CO to determine if this ruling falls within the guidelines in your situation. I've heard of tickets being issued in situations like this in other areas of the state, but if you need clarification, call your local CO, to be for certain. I think you need to be in the act of angling for the unattended line rule to work. If you're in your house doing activities other than angling, I believe that would put you in violation. I'm not sure how that is any different than watching TV in an ice house with two tip ups setup outside, but then again it isn't my job to interpret these rules.