• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Serpent Lake?

Does anyone have the ice conditions for Serpent Lake in Deerwood? Gonna be up there soon and was wondering what type of transportation are people using? Thanks

KDawg,

Try and get ahold of Danny Parks, the bait master. He has a shop over in that vacinity 218-534-3657. I would guess it is like the rest of the lakes up around here, a bit slushy.

Walleyedan

As of last night there was no one fishing Serpent. There have been a few people checking ice, myself included. I gt 8" in the bays and shallows, but yesterday morning it was steaming still in the middle. I did notice a couple of snowmobile tracks, but they were on the edges hugging the shoreline. I pass Serpent every morning and every evening on my way to and from work and have not yet seen anyone fishing it.

stop in at Oars n mine in crosby and talk to Jesse he is very knowledgable aboot the lake and will be able to help get you started in the right direction.

Thanks Mike. I'm hoppin I'll be able to make it out there soon.

Please keep us updated.

I live two blocks from the Crosby access and I haven't seen a person out there yet. Usually there are a few houses out on this end during early ice, but nothing as of yet. If I can find time I'll run over there and check out the ice first hand. It fronze over about the time we got hit with all the snow so it's probably spotty on good ice.

Well, I guess I can turn my question around a little. My grandpa now has his house out on Serpent. He isn't in his normal spot, a little closer to shore, but he reported 6 inches of ice. This is in the main part of the lake. He also said there is a bunch of slush out there to walk through.

There are actually a couple out now. I was going to respond last night but lost internet for a while.

I went out off the access in the park and found about 7" and walked out off the Deerwood side and had about 6-7" last night. I imagine the walleye should be biting pretty good now, so I may have to fish it tomorrow after work.

heard a rumor that someone dropped a 3/4 ton through serpent today! will find out more and let everyone know where exactly it was at.

I did. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I ended up taking 3 eyes home and 5 decent crappies as well.

Caught a few more of each but only needed those ones. Plan on hitting it again this weekend.

Can I ask what part of the lake you were fishing. Next week I'll be going out of the public access north of deerwood. Maybe see you out there?

I'm in a blue Fish Trap Pro and wear a Ice Armor suit.

Thanks for the post. laugh.gif

That area is where I was. Off of what we call "White Pine Corner". If I get out there I will be in the same area in a very beat up Frabill Ranger XLT with no kind of suit, just a black jacket, old camo pants and a "Fools On Ice" stocking cap. Stop by and say hello if you see me.

Is that the point on the north side as your leaving the bay or the south. I'll definatly be fishing out there quite a bit. I'll keep an eye out for you.

K Dawg and CNCMike how much ice is there on that end of the lake? I've been going off the Crosby access and I found around 9 inches. Are you driving wheelers to get out on your end?

I had about 9" there. I wish I was driving a wheeler, but no. I am married with kids, so I am lucky to even have an auger! grin.gif

I have fished that point on the south side from the access there in deerwood, but I have been setting up right about the middle of that bay and doing well this year.

Mike, I think I've saw you out there last winter. I remeber seing a Frabil off that point. If I see ya I'll stop over and say hi. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I was out on Serpent quite a few times this past week. Got about a dozen 12"+ crappies and a handful of smaller ones. No walleyes. Ice is really bad in the bays but once you get out to the main part it gets better. In the bays, there was 9" of good ice, 1-4" of water, then the rest of frozen slush. There was still many pockets of slush that continue to be exposed as more traffic hits the lake making it easier to navigate.