Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish Fry Guy

Ice on the Channel?

5 posts in this topic

I'm just curious on the thickness of ice on the channel? I'd like to head up for some fishing tomorrow. Thanks!

I was just out last night, I didn't go out from the Public access, I was going out just north of the Mid channel access. I fished 14 ft. on the South end of Lindstrom at the mouth of the channel and had 4 inches. Channel freezes first, so should be 4-5. It was slow. Lookers, no takers. Wound up with lots of slush and water around my feet. Good luck.

Fished it yesterday. Did really good with bass. Some perch and sunfish. Lots of people fishing the channel yesterday. Be careful on the hill if you dont have four wheel drive on you vehicle. Took me 5 trys to get up the hill in my car with front wheel drive.

I was out there most of the day myself. I saw a lot of fish on the camera, but like posted above, a lot of lookers, the bite was extremely slooooow. I caught a number of small sunfish and one really nice bass.

I was out on the channel Saturday morning from 8-11. Went out from the access to the west and walked out to 14 ft of water. I measured 5.5 inches of ice. Fishing was ok. Caught some crappies, gills and a 17" bass. Crappies and gills were pretty small. For the first time out this season, I was pretty happy.