Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cletus

North End Mille Lacs 12-8

3 posts in this topic

Well, first ice for me and the elusive Mille Lacs Pigs were a no-show again. A buddy and I met up to see if we couldn't coax some pigs (or anything else swimming by) to become our dinner. Needless to say, the only fish we ate were compliments of the chef at Carlsona.

We met up on the North End and walked out of Red Door. We were out about 1/3 mile... but I have to say that it felt like 20 miles. Pulling a sled weighing about 200 lbs with full gear through a foot of snow. We set up for the afternoon/night bite in 14-17 foot of water. My buddy had done some scouting in the fall... but unfortunately, his waypoints didn't transfer over when he loaded it into his handheld GPS. So, we did the best we could. If it weren't for the snow and the down right COLD weather, we might have up and moved down the break... but those sleds were HEAVY.

We did mark a few fish... and got a few followers... but most were non-commital. My buddy was able to pull in a couple small ones, but none over 12"... nothing picture worthy. He was set up with Go-Devils tiped with Euro-Larva. I had on a Lindy Rattl'n flyer spoon tiped with a fathead head. The marks weren't what we had hoped to see... but then again, I think were weren't positioned exactly where we had hoped to get to. All in all, it was fun to get out for that first ice regardless... and it was good company.

Now...on to the important part. The ice we were on was 4-5 inches. Not quite what I had hoped... and nervous going on the walk out. The ice reports are sketchy across the lake. Talking with the resorts up there, they are finding ice anywhere between 8" and 2"... so BE CAREFUL. The Red Door was actually discouraging anglers from heading out due to the fact that the ice depth was ranging so much. If you are looking to head out, I would highly suggest checking in with and going out of a Resort FIRST. If the resort has plowed any roads... USE THEM. Oh, and if you have one... use a snomobile!!! My legs still feel wobbly! Either way, use Caution and use your head!

Safe Fishing!

Hey Cletus,

Did it look like anyone fishing by MirMar? I am thinking of heading that way Monday Mornin. Thanks

I didn't stop by there... Sorry, no info out of there.