Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cletus

North End Mille Lacs 12-8

3 posts in this topic

Well, first ice for me and the elusive Mille Lacs Pigs were a no-show again. A buddy and I met up to see if we couldn't coax some pigs (or anything else swimming by) to become our dinner. Needless to say, the only fish we ate were compliments of the chef at Carlsona.

We met up on the North End and walked out of Red Door. We were out about 1/3 mile... but I have to say that it felt like 20 miles. Pulling a sled weighing about 200 lbs with full gear through a foot of snow. We set up for the afternoon/night bite in 14-17 foot of water. My buddy had done some scouting in the fall... but unfortunately, his waypoints didn't transfer over when he loaded it into his handheld GPS. So, we did the best we could. If it weren't for the snow and the down right COLD weather, we might have up and moved down the break... but those sleds were HEAVY.

We did mark a few fish... and got a few followers... but most were non-commital. My buddy was able to pull in a couple small ones, but none over 12"... nothing picture worthy. He was set up with Go-Devils tiped with Euro-Larva. I had on a Lindy Rattl'n flyer spoon tiped with a fathead head. The marks weren't what we had hoped to see... but then again, I think were weren't positioned exactly where we had hoped to get to. All in all, it was fun to get out for that first ice regardless... and it was good company.

Now...on to the important part. The ice we were on was 4-5 inches. Not quite what I had hoped... and nervous going on the walk out. The ice reports are sketchy across the lake. Talking with the resorts up there, they are finding ice anywhere between 8" and 2"... so BE CAREFUL. The Red Door was actually discouraging anglers from heading out due to the fact that the ice depth was ranging so much. If you are looking to head out, I would highly suggest checking in with and going out of a Resort FIRST. If the resort has plowed any roads... USE THEM. Oh, and if you have one... use a snomobile!!! My legs still feel wobbly! Either way, use Caution and use your head!

Safe Fishing!

Hey Cletus,

Did it look like anyone fishing by MirMar? I am thinking of heading that way Monday Mornin. Thanks

I didn't stop by there... Sorry, no info out of there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Handsonthepole
      Lots of mayflies now.  Larvae were coming up two weeks ago and now good amounts of sheds on the water.  Fishing has been great for those willing to move around and find active fish.  Start looking to first reefs off islands and shorelines as fish are starting to move to them.  30ft for us was good. Leeches.  2-3ft snell.  Plain hook.  Caught quite a few yesterday.  Good size range.  Kabetogama
    • gunner55
      Besides there's 3 nice ramps there. 1 on the west, 2 to the east of the bridge.
    • icepike 1
      Good pretty good. Went out from the northwest side I think Garrison. Made our way to eight mile was able to go full-throttle the majority of the way but when the waves got too big has lower down. My buddy went looking for a drift sock but couldn't find one so we used a five-gallon bucket which work fairly well glad we had at least that. Well we are drifting it was perfectly fine but a pain in the butt trying to motor back up through the big waves. Then after some time sitting out there I had enough of sitting on those big waves and told my buddy that we needed to get closer to shore. The right back was very slow going and wet. Started to get a little concerned when my bilge pump stopped working and the back of my boat started to fill up especially when I was finally able to give it more throttle man the back of the boat was full of water but we made it back I got a new bilge pump and everything was all good quite the experience but I'll be back there again with my boat. And good thing we had back when we did there was barely any gas left in the tank. 
    • Jplante
      We are headed out in yaks from st cloud to clearwater, with clearwater outfitters. Was looking for some posts about the river, looks like it will be a pretty nice float from your pics
    • Poutwhacker
      Any new info on locations and bait preferences? Depths? Reefs? Minnows, worms or leeches? Heading up Saturday. Thanks
    • bassbouncer
      marty's heating 966-2393
    • leech~~
      Well better you found it now and not this weekend or you would be SOL fore sure being the 4th.  Nothing wrong with a good old lake bath though!  Good Luck.
    • Handsonthepole
      Lots of mayflies now.  Larvae were coming up two weeks ago and now good amounts of sheds on the water.  Fishing has been great for those willing to move around and find active fish.  Use leeches.  2-3ft snell.  Plain hook.  Caught quite a few yesterday.  Good size range.  Kabetogama.
    • delcecchi
      Got to cabin.  Water heater out, I think it is thermocouple.  Looking for someone to fix it, soon as possible.   I'm on west end and could use a suggestion.  I am going to call lakes gas too, see if they have anyone.  
    • ZachD
      Try the Sherburne wildlife refuge plenty of places you can get to were not a lot of people want to go the spot I deer hunt you need hip waders to get to