Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

chances of being drawn?

9 posts in this topic

I applied for my first turkey license this year. Anybody have a guess of what my chances are of being drawn? Area 159 seasons A and H.

My guess is I have close to no chance of being drawn.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chance of you being drawn for A will probably be tough as you will probably need a preference point or two as a lot of people put in for those early time periods. Your chance for H will be much better. Lots of times the late periods are under applied for as a lot of people are going to be out fishing or think that the birds at that time of the year are hunter educated and will tough to hunt.

Just hope for the best and you should know in a couple of long months weather or not you got one. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most permit areas have nearly 100% chance for being drawn the "H" season!

Paint:

Good to have you back! How did last season treat you? Hunting out of state this coming spring? Again, great to see you back.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I applied for season 'A' since I have never been drawn for my first season preference I wanted to try. I did not put a second season on my pick.

If I do not get picked I plan on trying/hoping for extra permits for a g or h season. Good plan or did I mess things up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say. First season is hard to get...but if you chose a second season your odds are pretty good.

I think the people that put a second season will have a "crack" before extra licenses are given out. I am not sure.

I got a license for first season last year after 3 years of applying. My brother applied and got a license the first year (for the same time).

On private land, any season is decent as you do not hunt and let the turkeys alone until your season comes up. My neighbors hope I draw early season for, if I do...I hunt, then let them hunt on my land. If I don't, I don't let them hunt.

From now on, I try to apply for the first season that doesn't include a weekend. Seems like people have better luck getting drawn at this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

From now on, I try to apply for the first season that doesn't include a weekend. Seems like people have better luck getting drawn at this time.


Hammer, good strategy. This is typically "B" season in MN. For my permit area, I've historically had anywhere from a 67%-80% chance of being drawn for this time period. A is in the 20 percent range, and C is in the 30-40% range. During the week offers you better odds!

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote:

Hard to say. First season is hard to get...but if you chose a second season your odds are pretty good.

I think the people that put a second season will have a "crack" before extra licenses are given out. I am not sure.


This is from the DNR website

Quote:

If an applicant purchases a license for either the first or second choice, their preference returns to 0. If an applicant is picked for either the first or second choice and does not purchase the license, a new preference point is not awarded. Do not apply for a second choice if you do not wish to purchase the license, once picked the license cannot be issued again.


Note that if you choose a second season and don't buy your license that license does not go into the pool of undersubscribed licenses and you don't gain a preference point (They treat it like you got drawn and bought a license even though you didn't)

Best bet if you really want to hunt an earlier season is to only apply for your first choice and leave your second choice empty. Since there are usually surpluss licenses for the later seasons anyway, you might as well try for a surpluss that way you still accumulate your preference point for the next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joel: Last season wasn't to bad. Took a nice longbeard in both MN.and WIS. South Dakota was a lot tougher then ever. I had 3 tags and only took 1 tom and had to hunt for 3 days to get him. I'm not use to that out there.They have had 2 very dry years out where I hunt and it has hurt the past two hatches bad! This year will be tough as I saw hardly any jakes at all last spring.

As for this year I've put in for MN, WIS. and will put in for praire tags in SD. again. I will also be going down to Texas to try and get a Rio's to finish out my slam. Going down around Lubbock with an outfitter. March 29-31 for that hunt. I only wish that that was tomorrow!

How about your self. Any big plans for this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PB:

I wish! Have another child on the way, due Feb. 19th, so I might not get to hunt WI this year. I'll be trying MN with a bow, and probably taking a few friends out during the gun season.

I've always wanted to hunt rios in TX. We hunted in OK and KS a few years back, and that was fun, but nothing like the stories of the numbers of birds in parts of TX. Good luck to you in finishing out the slam! I have one left as well, but am still on the fence as to which hunting option to take for my Osceola. Excited to try it out, but have heard alot of nightmare stories regarding feeder hunts and the like. We'll see. Time to start planning.

Joel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Posts

    • Chill62
      Sorry for the late response.  I was on the ice Friday-Monday fishing with our pro staff group.  We fished each morning for tuilibees and fished a few lakes and wow can you see a difference between lakes!  5 miles away and you go from average size of 19" to 13".  My buddy Scott who produced the video and the skinny guy is using I think a Wicked 13 Long stem reel which a spring broke in the bail this weekend.  I am using either a 13 FreeFall or a 13 Black Betty 6061 inline reel.  I like the in line reels better then the spinning reels and I wont be switching back for my ice fishing gear.  When its warmer out I like the FreeFall because I can drop the line with just one hand and not have to worry about hitting the button to drop it and then reel in some to get it to lock into place.  Scott I think is using a 32" St Croix rod, he switches between a light and a medium rod depending on his mood lol and I'm using a Yogi Custom Rod 32" Medium Light (Blue) and my other rod is a 32" medium rod (Black) I switch between them so its hard to keep them straight.  If your looking for a good rod he does 100% custom rods so you pick action tip eyelets colors string handles its pretty awesome and if your looking at the top end ones you get off the shelf you are paying about the same for a custom rod from him.     Fish were very hit and miss this weekend.  We caught a few in a few different holes but nothing great but yesterday we tried a new hole and instantly started getting them on top of the ice.  Will be trying that spot this weekend if I can get out on the ice.  I hate fishing solo just in case something happens out there and my fishing partner is heading Devils Lake for a week.  We had a ton of guys come by and see what we were doing that were "Seasoned Tuilibee Fisherman" that were using the 3" daredevil and told us what we were using wasn't going to be working get frustrated and leave because we were putting fish topside and they were only getting sniffers.  Our rig that has worked great for us is a 1/8 oz Kastmaster (Gold, Silver, or Rainbow Trout) with about 14-16" of line drop to a 4 or 5 mm tungstun jig (White, Pink, or Silver) loaded with wax worms.
    • Chill62
      Thanks was a blast filming and recording it!
    • leech~~
      Go to Fleet or the Cabala's and look at all their small tackle, hunting or shooting cases.
    • Rick G
      An old tackle box works :-)   once you get used to the electric you will never look back....  
    • eyeguy 54
      used brother in laws on northerns and eyes last summer. pretty slick. the question is about a case for it. Get back on track here silly people...