Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kylersk

Slabfest 2008?

9 posts in this topic

I believe it's scheduled for February 24th or that weekend. Anyways, I've got the go ahead for an extended weekend that weekend and plan on heading up.

I'll bring my sleeper with and was wondering how lake access works with sleepers? What resorts are sleeper friendly?

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the trip and hopefully catching a true slab!

any resort will take your ten bucks! from what i have experinced up there they are all friendly and very helpfull, more so than mille lacs, i think i even remember hearing about a resort on mille lacs last year that didn't allow wheel houses out over night from their access. Sure hope i can make to slabfest sounds fun to me!

We'll likely be fishing out of hillman's. Wheelhouse are definitely welcome. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer.

Kylersk-

Talk to Hillman's on the NE side of the lake (just on the north side of Waskish). If you arrive after the bait shop closes, stop into the Tall Tales bar and pay your road fee.

You wouldn't believe how many people just pull straight onto the lake at night. I'm sure some of these guys come back in the morning to pay for their passes but I'm sure a lot don't as well.

What's the story about this slabfest? Is it a big party or tourny? Both, neither. I will have my wheelhouse on LOW, but from what I read on here I might want to give URL a try. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

Bandit,

From my understanding it's just an informal gathering of FM'ers on Upper Red Lake.

Hey Bandit!

Kylersk is right on the money! Slabfest 2008 is a very informal gathering of a bunch of guys from the website here including a good number of Pro Staff who have already committed to attending. This is my 3rd year now hosting the Slabfest and it has definitely grown over the first couple years.

My intent is to keep the gathering fun and informational. Anglers of all skill levels are welcome and you will learn a thing or two about ice fishing, and definitely ice fishing on Upper Red Lake.

We will have a barbecue on the lake this year, as it was a big hit the first year and I failed to bring it back last year.

I'll publish more details as the winter wears on and formalize up the plans but look for the last Saturday in February to be the official date for Slabfest 2008. Hillman's Tall Tale's Tavern will be the meeting place and somewhere along Hillman's Rd will be the gathering area.

Bandit and others, I've been to both the Slabfest events and fully plan on attending this one. So far I've had nothing but fun.

Good times!! Good times will be had by everyone!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys, it sounds like alot of fun. Barring the unexpected I and a couple of friends will be there.