Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kylersk

Slabfest 2008?

9 posts in this topic

I believe it's scheduled for February 24th or that weekend. Anyways, I've got the go ahead for an extended weekend that weekend and plan on heading up.

I'll bring my sleeper with and was wondering how lake access works with sleepers? What resorts are sleeper friendly?

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to the trip and hopefully catching a true slab!

any resort will take your ten bucks! from what i have experinced up there they are all friendly and very helpfull, more so than mille lacs, i think i even remember hearing about a resort on mille lacs last year that didn't allow wheel houses out over night from their access. Sure hope i can make to slabfest sounds fun to me!

We'll likely be fishing out of hillman's. Wheelhouse are definitely welcome. Stay tuned for more details as we get closer.

Kylersk-

Talk to Hillman's on the NE side of the lake (just on the north side of Waskish). If you arrive after the bait shop closes, stop into the Tall Tales bar and pay your road fee.

You wouldn't believe how many people just pull straight onto the lake at night. I'm sure some of these guys come back in the morning to pay for their passes but I'm sure a lot don't as well.

What's the story about this slabfest? Is it a big party or tourny? Both, neither. I will have my wheelhouse on LOW, but from what I read on here I might want to give URL a try. Any and all info would be great.

Thanks

Bandit,

From my understanding it's just an informal gathering of FM'ers on Upper Red Lake.

Hey Bandit!

Kylersk is right on the money! Slabfest 2008 is a very informal gathering of a bunch of guys from the website here including a good number of Pro Staff who have already committed to attending. This is my 3rd year now hosting the Slabfest and it has definitely grown over the first couple years.

My intent is to keep the gathering fun and informational. Anglers of all skill levels are welcome and you will learn a thing or two about ice fishing, and definitely ice fishing on Upper Red Lake.

We will have a barbecue on the lake this year, as it was a big hit the first year and I failed to bring it back last year.

I'll publish more details as the winter wears on and formalize up the plans but look for the last Saturday in February to be the official date for Slabfest 2008. Hillman's Tall Tale's Tavern will be the meeting place and somewhere along Hillman's Rd will be the gathering area.

Bandit and others, I've been to both the Slabfest events and fully plan on attending this one. So far I've had nothing but fun.

Good times!! Good times will be had by everyone!!!!!

Thanks for the info guys, it sounds like alot of fun. Barring the unexpected I and a couple of friends will be there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Rick
      Youth ages 12 to 15 can apply to hunt waterfowl under the guidance of experienced mentors on Minnesota Youth Waterfowl Day on Saturday, Sept. 9.  “Helping a kid learn to hunt is a great way to share your skills and show what the outdoors have to offer,” said Mike Kurre, mentoring program coordinator with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Ducks Unlimited, the U.S. National Wildlife Service, Minnesota Horse & Hunt Club, the Fox Lake Conservation League, the DNR and others have teamed up to offer the hunts, which will take place in four areas:     Southern Twin Cities metro area locations.     Sherburn private land between Fairmont and Windom.     Private land in Fergus Falls.     Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge near Zimmerman and Princeton. Application forms must be received at the DNR central office by Friday, Aug. 18. Applicants will be drawn in a lottery if a hunt is oversubscribed, with preference given to novice hunters. Successful applicants will be notified as soon as possible and must attend an orientation on Friday, Sept. 8, in the location for which they were chosen. Applications and more details about the hunt are available online at mndnr.gov/discover and by contacting Kurre at 651-259-5193 or michael.kurre@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Youth and families can apply through Monday, Aug. 21, to learn how to hunt pheasants with experienced hunters in October.  “These hunts can be the building blocks for a lifetime of rich experiences in the field,” said Mike Kurre, mentoring program coordinator with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “Find out about equipment and skills you need to have safe and rewarding hunts.” Youth must be 12-17 years old as of the date of their hunt, have earned a firearms safety certificate and possess a small game license if required. Youth must have a parent, guardian or adult authorized by a parent or guardian accompany them as a mentor, without a firearm. The adult must also attend with the youth during the pre-hunt orientation. In the family hunt, all participants can hunt, but they need to be 12 and older, have little to no pheasant hunting experience, and have the appropriate safety certificate, stamp and license. The hunts are provided through Pheasants Forever and the DNR. Applications and more details about the hunt are available online at mndnr.gov/discover by contacting Kurre at 651-259-5193 or michael.kurre@state.mn.us. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Youth can apply to hunt deer in select state parks and other refuge areas during 16 special deer hunts in October and November.  “These special hunts provide the opportunity for parents or other adult mentors to go afield with youth to hunt deer,” said Mike Kurre, Department of Natural Resources mentoring coordinator. “Deer hunting can be an extremely positive experience for youth.” Youth have through Friday, Aug. 18, to apply for the hunts. Of the 16 special hunts, 14 are firearms hunts for youth ages 12 to 15, and two are archery hunts for youth ages 12 to 17. Participation in other deer hunting seasons remains an option for youth who take part in the special youth deer hunts, but any deer harvested count against the youth’s season bag limit. An adult parent, guardian or mentor must accompany the youth at all times while hunting, but only the youth may hunt. Both youth and mentor must attend a mandatory pre-hunt orientation. A limited number of either-sex permits are available for each hunt. However, for the hunts in Buffalo River, Camden and Lake Shetek state parks youth need to harvest an antlerless deer before getting a permit to harvest a buck. Youth must apply for the hunt of his or her choice, which can be done anywhere DNR licenses are sold, at the DNR License Center, 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, or online at mndnr.gov/buyalicense. For archery hunts, apply with code 630; for firearms hunts, apply with code 631. If the number of applications exceeds the number of permits, the DNR will randomly draw names to choose participants. Youth may apply for one archery hunt and one firearms hunt. Successful applicants also must meet all firearms safety requirements, purchase appropriate licenses and follow hunting regulations. In addition to the 16 application-only hunts in state parks and refuge areas, any youth ages 10 to 15 also can participate in the youth deer season that runs Oct. 19-22, in 27 permit areas that encompass portions of southeastern and northwestern Minnesota and portions of the Twin Cities metro area. More information and a list of hunts and orientations can be found at mndnr.gov/discover. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • HugeHogChaser
      Much appreciated JBMasterAngler! I saw a couple of your comments on another DevilsTrack lake post, but that was from 2007 so this updated information is AWESOME !! LOL! Thank you! I am looking forward to giving it a go.    I have a bunch of chartreuse  and fire tiger rapalas too. Got a couple that dive to 16 feet, and couple to around 7. Hopefully i can locate a couple eater walleye. thanks again man.
    • Gimp
      Beanies is a privately held beach and company. There is no way they would become a free public launch site--unless they sold to the DNR. I know nothing of that happening. However, if you're patient, the DNR is building one under the new HWY 36 bridge with 35 trailer parking spots to be completed in late fall 2019/early spring 2020. Here's the article: http://stillwatergazette.com/2017/03/20/dnr-plans-boat-launch-next-to-st-croix-bridge/. As for fishing, right now with the hot weather and the recent mayfly hatch, it's been a tough bite. Fish drop-offs or channels and try everything.  
    • JBMasterAngler
      Those islands are a good starting point. The mouth of the junco creek  (which is right at the campground) is a popular spot also. Gold is the go to color. Lake is full of cigars, but you should be able to find a few big enough to eat. Shorefishing at the access at night can be productive with leeches, but it's always those pesky cigars again. You might want to take a day and go over to nearby Two Island Lake. Has a much better population of eaters in my opinion. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Wondering if there are any free campsites in the Ely area, preferably off of fernberg trail or hwy 1 within reasonable distance of town. I know there are a thousand sites on islands or lake shores that are "boat to", but I'm looking for drive to sites. Being on or near a lake would be nice, but I'm not too picky. Just looking to make a trip a little more affordable, as well as getting a chance to explore the area a little better 
    • JBMasterAngler
      City launch in Hudson.
    • BringAnExtension
      Somebody needs to find out where it happened and start throwing some big baits in that area.
    • Hoey
      No problems today with Chrome, so it must be fixed.