• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Right thing to do?

MNpurple

So today my 10 month old lab gave me a great point on a grass pile so i went in and kicked it around and nothing. I told her to come and she refused to move so I said a little more stearnly COME and I turned and started to walk away. No sooner did I turn my back then a heard a squak and out she pops with a rooster in her mouth and brings it to me. crazy.gif Well I took it from her and was going to ring it and put it in my bag but decided that sure wouldnt be ethical or sporting of me so I held Wren's collar and set the rooster back on the ground and it took of into the cattails and she followed in hot pursuit, the rooster flushed and I shot it. She was a little more reluctant to give it back to me this time! What do you do with birds your dog catches alive? Still dont feel right about it.

IMG_2051.jpg

If Duey catches a bird, and brings it back it is normally a cripple from someone elses hunt. I mark it down as one for Duey. Now if he catches a hen, like he did yesterday, I act like I put it in the vest and send him off again. then I throw the hen into the air and normally she flies away, wondering what the heck was that all about. I'm guessing your good looking young dog just found a cripple. I wouldn't shoot it again, may just ruin some more meat. Praise the dog for the good work and count it in your bag. I have had a few hunts where Duey got one and I got one.

I've had my lab catch a few before and was lost on what to do.I did end up keeping the birds.It seemed like after each time that happened he really wanted to go out and catch birds,seemed liked he would chase more on the running birds,that eventually would go away until the next time he would catch one.It seems like it would only happen mid season when the birds were holding really tight.

Always trust your dog, I've been burned on this a couple of times this year. Praise your dog thats what there supposed to do is find the birds.

Hey Purple! Willy has a nice lookin sister! I dont think I would feel to guilty about takin that bird. When I was huntin in No. Dak. this fall, willy was trailing one thru a shelterbelt and started barking up a tree at something, the bird cackled a couple of times at the dog and it was perfectly outlined against the sky.Should I shoot it out of the tree or wait for it to fly? I figured if it was stupid enough to sit there and cackle at the dog im going to bag it, so I did. Willy got to smell another bird and he was happy. Havent had him out for roosters since the dakotas. Almost lost him grouse hunting in the woods. he got on some deer scent and took off for a couple of hours. He locks on a scent like a heat seeking missle and gets real focused, nothing stops him including the e-collar. Fortunately I found him walking down the road about a mile away. I could have killed him, but I was damned happy to see him. He can be bull headed sometimes. Good luck huntin

Ditto "grab the nets" sentiment. We have a standing bet amoung us that the first bird got the shooter gets free lunch; wren gets the burger. Purp is that the wma on the 4 cornered intersection just south of the train tracks?

Nope, just a tiny little WMA close to Sleepy Eye that is sometimes full of birds, no trains tracks. If your talking of the WMA just a few miles west of New Ulm, I know where your at. I like that one too, its given up a few birds this year.

Most of the time I have found them to be cripples and I will certainly take them.

BTW, your call....but you may want to edit the info you posted on your hunting locations if you don't want a bunch of people showing up there.

I keep the birds unless they are hens. I look at it this way - I trained him to find them, so to me, it is just as good as pulling the trigger. For me, a big part of my pheasant hunting enjoyment IS the dog. He is part of the team.

I had the same thing happen last weekend. My Lab caught a big rooster from last year. He had been running ahead of us. After I cleaned him I found he had some pellets in him. MOst of the birds that get caught are crips that can fly. Don't know is he would have survived the winter but I doubt it. I think you have to praise your dog.

Nice spurs!!!!

The dog out did a cagey veteran! Good for her! I agree most are crips, caught 2 on this last trip. If they are in good shape we reduce them to count towards our bag.

Good Luck!

Ken

I took my dog for a walk in the woods this year. All of a sudden, he stops and points. I told him "Go get it" for I was just curious what he was looking at right by the road. He runs in and catches a grouse...and brings it to me (this was before the snow).

I had not problem keeping it...even though the dog caught it in flight.

Earlier in the season I joined several In-laws on a SD hunt. One of the dogs caught a rooster and the brother in law went to put it in his game pouch. Well the bird slipped his grip and flew from his hand blush.gif The pressure was on cool.gif one of the other hunters in our group was ready and made the shot. We had finneshed up hunting a piece of cover and everyone was heading back to the trucks.

It was one of the funniest moments I have had in the field in a long time grin.gif

Good Luck