• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Problem with a Taxidermist

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

I have kind of a little situation on my hands concerning a local taxidermist. I am not going to mention any names. A friend of mine has been using this guy for about 15 years now. Does a great job. So about two years ago. I dropped off a buffelhead to get mounted. (my first time using the guy) I was told it would be done in one year. I have the reciept. So I haven't got my duck back yet. I have called several times, and got nothing but the run around. Well my friend had a few things that he was wating for, when I dropped my stuff off. The guy right now, has two deer heads of his. A goose. And a pheasant that he brought to him in 2003. The other day he called the guy, and asked how the stuff was coming. The guy got all mad, and hung up on him. Now I have found out from several people that they are waiting for there stuff from almost three years ago. Does anyone have any advice on what we could do? I feel like my hands are tied. I have payed him 200 dollars already for a down payment. All I want is my duck back. Any Suggestions?????

Why not tell the guy how you feel. You agreed on a year, he broke his agreement, now you want your money and your duck back. If your contract was truly for a year, you should be able to walk away with your money and your duck no problem. Taxi's run a word of mouth business. They are only as good as the last guy that uses them. I'd be interested to know the taxidermist in question. I'd make sure to steer clear of them.

if you want to email me its my name Jimmy and then 51881 at msn (Contact Us Please) com.

You should just "Go there" and demand both your deposit and bird back.Dont do the phone thing thats just enabling the problem to continue.

Overload is exactly why I only take personal referrals from clients.Some taxidermist think a backlog is a bank account thats good as gold. It's actually a liability in the freezer IF a problem arises.

yep Jimmy If I was you Id GO THERE with the receipt...

Do you guys think I could take it to another taxidermist to complete it, if it's in pieces down there? I don't even know if he has ever touched it, or sent it in for tanning.

The only problem I have with the reciept is, it does not state a completion date. My friend that has the five things there, is a cop. And he is going to talk to his county prosecuter. And see if he has to bring him to court to get the stuff back.

The best thing you can do is just go and talk to the guy in person and bring your buddy with so you can both put alittle heat on the guy for not getting the job done. He should give you a full refund of your deposit and your animals back. Start out by just trying to get your duck back and then once you have it in your hand, then worry about the money. Chances are he never even startred your bufflehead. It only takes a few hours start to finish to complete a duck (then letting it dry for a week or so, then another hour or two for finishing work). Having a 2-3 year backlog is hard to believe, I can't imagine making my customers wait over a year to get their mounts back. Almost all my mounts are back in 6 months. Like it was said our bussiness is word of mouth and just a couple angry clients can be really bad for bussiness. I'm not sure who your taxidermist is but if he continues this way, word will get around.

Depending on IF he has done anything to the specimen you shouldn't have to go through that to get refunded and recover.

As far as federally protected waterfowl. A taxidermist is required to keep a log book. IF he has lost or damaged it he is liable for replacement. Yes there are bird farms that stock divers..

Considering by the prior post I would be willing to bet hes done little if anything to the birds the deer may be another story.. He may have it caped out,fleshed,turned and tanned already. Also may have a manikin/eye's in stock for that piece. If so you do not have to take the materials but he can deduct the shop labor and tanning costs from the deposit IF your friend recovers.. This is only if like your receipt his shows no completion date.

However he may have had a life changing issue take place,lost a assistant,got ill or in trouble with the law and got way behind. Has the quality of his work increased? I know once I stopped considering how many I could get done in a week to increasing the quality I went from 2 birds a day to 1. There are some that think differently.

Not cutting any excuses for him only a possibility.Generally in this industry the human is the machine and the human factor comes into play.Many times people become defensive and just expect others to read between the lines trying to avoid humiliation by explaining. But when you deal in business on a personal level you become obligated to explain.

I must add this.. As a taxidermist when we were open to the public I used to turn away people when they felt compelled to state"give me a deal,Im going to let you ,or my all time favorite "the other guy does it for less".

Taxidermy is an art not a production. It is true that negative comments travel much faster than a positive.

Well enough said good luck....

Thanks for the help guys. I have not actually went down there. My buddy on the other hand has. His dad retired about 3 months ago. About six months ago, he called up and asked if he could possibly get one thing of the six he had sitting down there, for his dad. He was going to give him one of the animals for a retirement gift. So he told my buddy to come down the next day and discuss it with him. So he went down there, and he pulled out the list of things that he had. He then agreed to get two things done for his retirement. He had three months to complete them before the party. He never got anything done yet. It is really sad. My buddy was actually pretty good friends with him. The taxidermist has even sent them christmas cards for the past ten years.

I have the same problem with a guy down here. It has been 2 years now on a northern that i took there. I have called him and even went to his shop. He says hes got it on the form and is waiting for the paint to paint it. He has used that for 6 months now. I am sick of it too.

My opinion, if they are that backed up...they shouldn't be taking any new business either.

Take him to small claims court. It is free and you don't need a lawyer. You will get your money back and your animals. If they "lost" the animals, you can claim more money.

Talk to them first...if that doesn't work...take them to court.

I did once for a separate issue, and won hands down.