Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TMF89

Alimagnet or Lac Lavon?

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, going to make it out for a couple hours this weekend, and was wondering where you'd go? I'm thinking Alimagnet, because the area I'd fish (off of County Road 11) is a lot smaller, so not a lot of walking, and in a foot or so of snow that we have, that's a good thing! Anyone have any tips for early ice on either lake? If you don't want your tips/spots widely known, send me a PM, thanks guys!

We were out on early ice in the southwest bay two years ago and my advice is be careful! Which is obvious, but we found that due to the steep slope, it appears that water runs into the bay with some force, weakening the ice in strips. We found 4-5" inches in most of the bay - and a few ribbons of an inch or so about 1/3 of the way up the bay.

If you do get out, it's a decent pike lake for jigging or tip-ups, but the bay is pretty shallow.

Just out in the middle of the bay? what about crappies?

TMF, the thin spot/s were closer to the west side, snaking out from the steep slope off the parking lot.

I haven't tried for crappies out there, just pike.

I've fished Alimagnet in the summer, but haven't tried it on ice yet. My experience in the summer is that the West half of the lake is shallow and completely weed choked. Good numbers of very small panfish and probably close to 400 billion bullheads! There's a little more depth to work with on the East body, down near the south end. But no good access that I've found, so it's a long walk across the ice!