Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maros91

Ice Fishing for Eelpout

16 posts in this topic

I have caught a couple on the lake after dark and they put up a real good fight. Is there a "go to" technique to catching one after another. I also here they taste like "poor mans lobster" but have never tried one. Just looking to catch these things after dark more often. Any tips?

ahhh, zee pout.

pout can sense drunkness. they like it, they are drawn to it.

you'll have to bring lots of beer to catch pout.

and you should fish with your best walleye jigs, your favorite walleye jigs. they have a way of knowing, don't try to trick them by just throwing any old jig down & pretending it's your favorite walleye jig, it's gotta be for real.

everyone says they taste like lobster.

I say lobster tastes like pout.

naw, it's just the texture really, got that firm texture like ocean shelfish, it's pretty good actually.

you seriously want to catch them for real? on purpose?

I haven't had good luck catching them consistantly but a large glow-in-the-dark with a big minnow is sure for a few per night anyway. Good thing to pull them up right away or your hook will be long gone.

I would also love to get into them on a regular basis. Prolly about 10-15 years ago we used to have real good luck around Springsteel with many of them pushing 36".

Boiled then dipped in butter with a little salt has to be one of my favorite meals. At the risk of getting some lumps from fellow anglers I would dare say they are better than walleye. IMHO.

Ditto on the drunkness to catch a pout. Of course I don't know If I've ever really fished at night sober.

I sent you an email.

Nothing better tasting than pout, and in the right place at the righ time, can catch all you want!!

Bill;

This works for me on Mille Lacs:

Plain red short shank (I like the gamagatsu) hooks, sized to your bait.

Weight to bait size.

Small (to 6") suckers.

Weight no more than 3 inches above bait, and bait no more than 6 inches above the bottom. Just let'um soak.

Keith

or you can just make a walk about with a pitchfork & an otter sled through any ice town out there. always lots of em hanging out on the top side of the frozen crust....

No pout for you!!

Back of line!!

Pretend you're really trying hard to fish for walleyes, that always works for me smile.gif

Biff,

Only somebody that plays for Frantown would drive to the LOW to catch pout!!! We have quite a few of them and it always seems to be any glow in the dark lure that catches them the most. We have caught the most out at South Tip more than any other place on the lake, but I really don't think it matters where you go. Careful when you clean them, you will want someone to show you the first time. (Contact Us Please) good eats though.

Us Franny boys need something to do in the offseason. Why not drive 5 hours and catch some pout! I don't target them specificly just a nice option after dark. Thanks for all the tips boys!

have your lure sit on the bottem or very very near the bottem... they are bottem feeders and are more likely to see it and eat if it is in there range. hope it helps and good luck!

D. Fish

Rule #1 make sure your bait is laying on the bottom this will greatly improve your chances of catching them.

I Love Burbot!

I have watched them with my Aqua-View. They don't seem to see very well. If the bait is moving or still, they hone in on vibration or smell. They move methodically back and forth towards the bait along the bottom till they literally bump into it. I have looked down their throats as they try to eat the camera. I have had them use my camera to scratch their backs with. When they root the bottom up, they stick their noses in the mud with their bodies and tails straight up and twirl around. They remind me of puppies. They seem kind of playful. Entertaining to watch, I try to pull my bait away from them. That usually doesn't work because they just hang around till they get it. Keep your bait on the bottom, but not sunk in it.

We never really target pouts but end up catching quite a few while walleye fishing. Sometimes a jigging spoon but often a plain hook & bobber. Actually pulled up to a suspended mark once and caught a 12 lb'er. Thought I had a nice eye for sure.

They are easier to clean if you can get them froze enough to firm them up. Score the skin along the spine & back along the rib line(not to low) & peel the skin back with pliers. Then just fillet out the back strap.

We have an old perk coffee pot that we fill with lake water and boil on the stove, cut the pout into 1" chunks, & boil till they float but no more than 10 minutes. Texture is better if not over-cooked. Usually have a stick of butter with fresh garlic or powder melting, drain pout, dump into butter, & dip out with a cracker. Can't wait!