Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Ice fishing boots -- this is my thought

10 posts in this topic

I have been looking at Ice fishing/Still hunting cold weather boots for a long time. There are some things I like about all of the boots I have found. One thing I did not like was the price. Ice Kings, Ice stalkers etc can run $150 --

I recently read a post about boots and MANY people were talking up the Military Bunny/Mickey boots. My dad had a pair in the service and he said they were the best boots he had ever had.

Well, you know we never totally believe our dads --

I just got a pair off of e-bay and boy were they cheap and they work awesome.

If your feet get cold I would suggest a pair of these. They will not get wet and wow -- I am sold.

Hitman

I used to have a pair of these when i was in high school.

until i wore them out. Doing chores and hunting my feet never did get col, but never were able to find them. Are they new or used when you bought off of ebay. Also any idea

of the ice condition in the Perham -Dent area.

They were New on e-bay. The Military quit making them -- cheap people. It was a cost issue.

Perham area is going well -- most lakes have 6 inches, so I hear.

Ha about 3 weeks ago i was in this same delimma and i finally broke down and got the bunny boots. i have put them to the test being active. I remove snow durring the winter season, and i used them durring the last storm. they are deffinatly warm but feet get a little sore after shoveling for 11 hrs. but the first 10 were excellent, i woiuld immagine though if you werent walking around that much, that they would feel ok. hope you like them, i do. but you need long socks to keep the rubber on the top of the boot off of the back of your calf.

After shoveling for 11 hours I think my feet would be the least of my aches and pains blush.gif

Glad to hear the first 10 hours went ok of you though grin.gif

Just make sure you are getting the real beta boots. There are many knock-off out there and they are not all the same. The white ones are extreme cold weather and the black ones are for less extreme temps. Also, make sure they have the air valve on the side, open the valve and blow into the chamber to inflate slightly, then close the valve. This helps with the warmth because they are a "vapor barrior' boot.

I have owned several pairs living in Alaska. Another good idea is to spray em down with armorall before putting them away for the summer, it keeps them from cracking from dry rot.

One more thing about buying used boots from ebay.. when I was in Alaska they issued us a pair when I took Arctic Survival training. The warmest it got outside in 4 days afield was -48 degrees, coldest was -63. This is ambient air temp. Anyway, when we crawled into our tomb sized shelter for the night, the boots stayed outside. In the morning you had to urinate in them, swirl it around and dump it before putting your feet in. They insulate the cold as well as heat so that kept your feet from freezing. Hope you didn't get one of "those" pairs..LOL

Ice kings are well worth the $150. Lacrosse boots are some of the best money can buy. I do agree however that those military boots are sweet.

These boots are new and the real deal. They are oh, so sweet.

I use Columbia Ice Dragons. Rated to -60 (ya like I would beleive that when I bought them). I bought these lite weight hiking style boot for work, but I can not wear them for work, way to warm. Yup thats right to warm. IF I am working I can't wear em. IF I am driving I cant wear em, so I keep a set of ice cleats attached to them, and put them on when I get to the lake. I spent about $100 at skeels 2-3 years ago