Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinbros

???Carp......Winter???

14 posts in this topic

Is it possible to fish for carp in the winter, not through the ice, but like in the nearby rivers or silver lake.

I've never had as good of luck in the winter for carp, but if you could find a deep hole in a river, or some deeper water in Silver Lake, it could be done. I'd use something pretty scented like corn (sweetening it with strawberry jello powder sometimes helps) or a doughbait.

I gave it an honest go a few days ago, but nothing to show for it. This was the first time I've ever attempted carp during the winter in open water. I'll be back for revenge.

I think its possible to catch them (although I've never done it), but it is tougher, or at least different.

would they be more grouped up or are they scattered cruising slowly

I don't really know, I would guess that they would be concentrated in the deeper, warmer water. Another thing to keep in mind is that the lake is very low by the stone bridges and by the pontoon boat rental, maybe the flood put a lot of silt up shallow, and I think they lower the water level in the winter anyways. I would try to find the deepest water you can and fish there.

On a local lake up here I have seen them 3 times on the camera in the winter and they are always in groups, even caught one last year panfishing, that was a blast!!! As for speed, they didn't look like they were in a hurry.

one of all linders goals to do right after he left IN-fisherman was to figure out the carp. I am sure he has them well figured out now and the research is published in some way or another but i am betting he knows what they do in cold water. ike

what kind of bait would work

I think if you were to drop a night crawler down they would take still at this time of the year, and they are definately grouped, when ice was just starting to form on my home river I was fishing for crappies and a school of at least 50 swam by. Bait nightcrawler, really anything, I had a friend get one to bite on candy corn just before ice. Shallow is where I have saw all the carp this winter.

lol...i wish i couldn't catch carp in the winter...do you guys really look for them? i try to fish where the carp aren't.

in open water they pack up in shallow water to sun themselves...they bite on whatever i'm fishing with....i'd be happy if i never caught a carp in my life.

we spear carp once the ice freezes over in the dead water on the root river its a blast we cut 4 foot by 2 foot chunks of ice out and guys go up stream and tamp the ice with pipes down to us we have got up to 50 carp in a half a day before my friends dad smokes them they are actually very tastey

That sounds pretty cool! I have never heard of doing that for carp before.

I've caught carp all summer off of whole kernel corn in the river.I'm guessing they should still be biting on this bait it's the best one I know of.

Smoked Carp is VERY GOOD!!!!!!