• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who's Around/What's Working?

Hey boys/girls~

Just wondering who's gonna be around during christmas? I really want to take my bro out on the ice, but need a little direction.

Also, I'm wondering what lakes are working right now? I've got some friends going to Fish Hook, but I've never really been a big fan.

Thanks! grin.gif

Oh and I hear the rules on Blue have changed regarding trout? Any updates on that?

Blue lake is open to winter trout fishing. i checked the MN DNR website under "some fishing regulations to change december 10" and it said all lakes in atkin county and blue lake in hubbard county are open to winter trout fishing. i will definately try for some trout this winter since i have never caught one in open water or through the ice.

Yeah, the trout season will open Jan. 12th. There will be a piece on it in Saturday's Enterprise newspaper.

Smalliesweetie, just shoot me an email when you're ready to take your bro out on the water and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get out fishing again. It's been awhile... *tear* I'll probably give you a call Jason, so hopefully you don't mind the female angle at fishing. *laughing*

Talk to you soon.

Haha, we actually need more females involved in angling. I admire your dedication to the outdoors. Everyone, no matter race, creed, gender or age should take the time to experience the great outdoors. Look forward to hearing from you-

Well said Jason. Went out a short bit this weekend on Long, had a little luck, but nothing too big. If anyone has some tips for this lake, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

P.S. I'll probably try to set something up with my bro after he's done with school Jason. Just so you're not waiting around for the call.

I also am interested in Long if anyone has info? I have only fished it in the summer and might be heading to my buddies cabin in a week or to do a little fishing.

I wish I could fill in the blanks for ya' on what's working. I will be following this forum from now on, since I just bought some property on the crow wing chain.

Any good smallie lakes or rivers in the area? grin.gif

Fishing High~

Fishing Long in the summer is definitly different than the winter. By no means am I a pro on Long, but the south end, near all the stumps and fallen trees can be good. You also might try the second bay down from the stumps off the first point. There are usually some fish houses up, but I haven't been out that way yet. I'll keep you posted. And of course keep an eye out for thin ice!

Thanks, I'll keep checking back. My buddies cabin is right by where you described and if we make if up we'll be walking so we'll be sticking to that area.

Navigator~

You asked my favorite question, but it's so hard to give out those very significant details. wink.gifI'm sure if you've been to the area before, as you've bought land on one of the crows, you'll know that Big Sand is good for smallies. However, I only know this from my summertime fishing. I guess I couldn't tell ya from the winter perspective. You might ask a local fishing guide. I recommend, Jason Durham. He's been fishing this area for quite some time and knows his stuff.

Quote:

Navigator~

You asked my favorite question, but it's so hard to give out those very significant details.
wink.gif

Gotcha! wink.gif You have to luv a woman that has a username like SmallieSweetie. cool.gif

From my site:

DSC00477.jpg

Nothing huge, just a 19 incher.

Navigator~

I get so much heck for my username. *laughing* I'm glad somebody likes it. I wanted something feminine, that goes with Small Mouth. Needless to say, it was a struggle. haha

Anywho, best of luck fishing!

Been talking with a few of the boys this weekend and the word is Third Crow Wing, Little Twin, and possibly Fish Hook. Good luck fishing and of course use caution!

i have been checkin lakes all over wish the slush would freeze up heading to lake of the woods tommorrow they have ice!! did good last weekend on redlake

Good to hear wildeskimo!

I hit up Long again with some friends for late night fishing and we didn't do to well. Any recommendations for late nighters? Thanks!

let me no when you find a good late nite hit. have a big sleeper house still sittin in the yard waitin for that slush to freeze up . was up at warroad on low and did real good with catchin walleyes but no saugers and the biggest perch i pulled in was 14inches not as much snow up on that lake , it was fun anyway

tips for late nighters.... plenty of adult beverages, good friends, and a lot of patience. A good sleeper house is also a bonus. Haven't had much for a late night bite yet.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the word on the third crow wing? I will be at my cabin there this weekend. First time up this year.

All right everyone, please don't make me kick myself for letting the word out on my secret lake. This year I have been catching 40+ crappies a night on 1st Crow Wing Lake since Thanksgiving. And until last Saturday I was the only house on the lake (except for spear houses). In fact, on new years day I counted 78 crappies, amazing fishing! Size is pretty good with at least half the crappies being 10"+ and my biggest being 12 1/2". Be prepared to get bit by a toothy pike every once in a while. There is 16" of good ice out there now and most all of the slush is gone. The bite starts about 4:30 and is really good until about 6-6:30, but you can stay out there all night and keep drinking beer.

A little input on an area walleye lake that is doing pretty good would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. How do you get a picture on your profile?

thanks for the report BigPikeGuy...i have experienced the same thing on a pr area lake, sure is nice...its amazing how good the bite can be and one looks around and can count on one hand how many houses there are...congratulations on the success and keep it up...

I was up the third crow wing this past weekend. I was getting the same results. I caught 50+ crappies each night until 10pm, only a couple under 9". Yet the couple other guys around, not more than 20 yards away, weren't getting much. The fish seemed pretty set on the depth i was at. Couldnt find much for walleyes though. Still a lot of slush on the lake though. At one spot i had 3 inches of standing water under the slush.

Anybody fishing on Belle Taine? Haven't made it up to the cabin yet this winter. I've been spending my time at my fish house on Waconia in the cities...only because it's close to home - certainly not because of fish!

• 2 weeks later...

gracie61~

Unsure on Belle Taine. I'm sure you'll get some feedback on here though. Waconia eh? One of my roommates is from there and I must say your lake is an absolute blast in the summer! \:\)

alex1~

I think the patience comes with those adult beverages you're talking about. *laughing*

wildeskimo~

Any luck getting the sleeper out?

Thanks for the feedback. We love to be up at LBT as much as possible. An earlier post of yours mentioned you'd be down here working this summer....hope not. I'll be doing all I can to get AWAY! Lots of luck fishing - Waconia is the dead sea. Might be the fact that there are more people on the ice than there are in town.

gracie61~

Yeah, we'll see what happens this summer. As much as I love the Park Rapids area, I'd prefer to branch out a bit. Waiting for some internship news and results from the LSAT. \:\) Are you going to do the big Park Rapids Ice Tourney this weekend? If not ya should, excellent time, great people, and it's actually going to be warm. Well warm for here I guess.

PR Tourney sounds like fun but sticking around town. We're moving the fish house on Waconia tomorrow night and have a bunch of people coming out to fish on Saturday. Possibly will unknowingly see your roommate's relatives. Then we're eating Northern we caught in the D.L. area last weekend. My daughter (sounds like your age - just graduated from KU last May) caught the biggest at 6 1/2 pounds. Great fun. Good luck in the job search. You sound like my wife - from Lake Park - couldn't wait to get out. I grew up in Richfield - and am at the "I hate the city" point in my life...