Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hibbingite

12/5/07 Ice/Hillman's

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have seen a lot of posts regarding resorts but I would like to give a big thanks to Hillman's Resort for helping our trip of disaster to work out and manage to ice a few fish. This was my first trip out and as usual it started with bad luck. There was no road plowed yet at Hillmans so we brought up the wheeler and it would not start. We had to go back to the resort after getting our pass and the tips to get some starting fluid and a spark plug. The older gentleman gave my friend a spark plug for his wheeler. We then went to try it again and we were on our way. we went 2 1/2 to 3 miles where Buddy told us to go an we iced our 4 walleyes and had a blast. We tried that wheeler again, and you know it it would not start again. We finally got it going and headed out and Buddy met us at the landing. He was just coming to see if we needed help to get off because it was cold out.

This is why I say this is still a top knotch resort and would recommend this place to anyone. Great service as always and friendly people running it.

And yes, Buddy started his road, we had 8 good inches of solid ice but a lot of snow.

Good luck all and trhanks again to Buddy and the nice old couple running the store

Good to hear nice reports about hillman's...that's where I plan going out of for my first trip up there next month. Where exactly is hillman's located though?

JB, you can't miss it. More on the north end of Waskish, north of Westwinds a couple of blocks, on the east side of the road.

I'm not a URL expert by any stretch, but yup, Hillmans is the access I like taking the most and Buddy is straight up the real deal as far as good guys go.

Did you just catch 4 eyes or did you catch more? Catch any out of the slot? If so, what was the size? Any northerns, crappies, or perch?

I second Hillmans. Only been to the lake twice, but went out of Hillmans and really liked it.

Excellent! Thanks. I'm really looking forward to making the trip, I definitely have high hopes.

Here's a hint about Hillman's.... If you're following Buddy's wheel tracks and they disappear, STOP. He isn't known as the U boat commander for nothing. grin.gifgrin.gif

Yes, "Buddy's Underwater Crappie Tours". grin.gif

As of today Buddy was using a stripped down and very light V-plow and had the main road opened up to 3 1/2 miles. I do not think he is allowing light vehicles out but it is smooth and clean for wheelers and snowmobiles and will freeze down now with the snow off. The south road bank is breaking the ice and sinking in a matter of minutes so don't walk or drive there. Remember that a V-Plow will make it over thinner ice then a regular pickup.

Quote:

Buddy was using a stripped down and very light V-plow

Stripped down? That thing isn't stripped down its a frame, engine, tranni and a seat...and I think the seat is a bucket. grin.gif

Gotta love Buddy, freezing his tail off for long hours in some tough rigs pushing the road out.