Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schr0563

Tonka Ice Thickness

19 posts in this topic

Due to the recent snow that's piled up I've lost all interest in dragging my portable out 3/4 of a mile to some of my tried and true spots. Since that's the case, I haven't even bothered to check the ice yet. How about anyone else? I fish the east side but I'd be interested in reports for anywhere on the lake. Don't care about the fishing, just ice thicknesses.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I was really hoping that Wayzata Bay hadn't iced over before the snow, but I doubt that is the case. Sounds like this is the year of suffering for those of us who like to fish first ice and drag our shacks way out. Last year was a dream - easy dragging for the first couple of weeks since there was no snow!

On Sat all bays smaller than crystal were froze over. Most of the snow did not stick on the lake from Saturdays snow, I was planning on going out this weekend but now I am not so sure, the snow on Tues seemed to just pile up on the lake so there is around 5" of snow on the lake. A lot of the lake just froze over a day or two before the snow so this year is going to be dangerous.

I did see guys out Sat on Seaton and on Black but they looked scared to death, I hope they were drunk cuz that really seemed nuts to me to be doing that sober.

I did not see Wayzata on Sat but I am assuming that it was not froze over but it probably is now, not sure if it was before or after the snow.

I have not been out there but the smaller bays have to have at least 4". Most of them have been frozen for about 10-12 days and it pretty much has been below freezing that whole time.

I was out this morning checking ice on Tonka. The smaller bays have 4" and water on the ice making for tough going. Wayzata bay had just 2.5" in the newly frozen area but less snow and no water. I saw about 4 portables on the west side of Medicine yesterday by the park. I didn't see anyone fishing on Tonka today.

Wazata Bay:

I talked to a couple of ice anglers this morning. One out from the yatch club access and one out off the depot/beach access. 5" of ice out from the beach access and 2.5" in front of the yatch club. Both were about 100yds out. Just hear say though as I did not walk out... just shouted from shore. My vote... wait another day.

I checked a couple spots on the west end yesterday p.m. and all were preety sketchy.

On the exposed ice there was 4-5" and considerably less anywhere there was snow cover. I managed to get out about 60 yards from shore on one spot and while I was standing on exposed ice I found that there was virtually NO ice under a small drift next to me. My chisel sank right thru.

Lots of slush also, we need cold weather.

Ventured out on Wayzata bay for the first evening of hard water. One nice eater walleye by my buddy ice9... mad.gif

It was cold! 4" of ice tonight but getting thicker in a hurry.

Thanks for the report. I might try tonight or tomorrow.

Cook's Bay, Sat. night - I found 3-4" near shore and 6-8" 150 yards out from shore. The slush near shore had been insulating, but by Sat. night it was all frozen. 1 small walleye and 1 perch....pretty slooooow. Sure was nice to be out!

There were people walking out by Hardscrabble Point. THE SEASON'S OPEN!!! WOOHOO!!

3-6" on North Arm Sunday morning (not including the 2-3" of frozen slush on top). Couple of tiny perch, nothing else.

I found 4" of ice in Wayzata bay off hwy 101 saturday. Didn't catch anything but one small walleye.

Quote:

Ventured out on Wayzata bay for the first evening of hard water. One nice eater walleye by my buddy ice9...

I say good riddance. That guy was a pain, always outfishing us and never sharing his spots.

not ice

PS pete that was not an "eater". It was a small lunker. The two I caught last night were "eaters," and have been eaten.

Yo Canuck--it's me. Friday, saturday Pj--Canuck--maybe Mille Lacs? Let's have a party!

the iceman cometh back

Quote:

Where has ol' Ice9 been, anyway? Haven't heard him squeak for a long time!

Well consider yourself lucky. As far as hearing a squeak, that's just his reels... confused.gif like fingernails on a chalkboard. It's true.

Has anyone been out on Seaton. If you have can you post the ice thickness. It would greatly be appreciated. Ill be hopefully heading out on the ice either wed. or thur during the afternoon for some sunfish and crappies.

any current reports of ice thickness on Grays and Wayzata?

thanks

Was out yesterday. 4 inches and a few slushy spots. Caught 3 dink walleyes 8-10 inchers.

Snag did you go out on Browns or Wayzata? Driving by on 15, I can see only 1 or 2 sets of foot tracks walking out on Brown's....very suprising, very little activity!

There's a couple houses out on Crystal.