Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Waldowski

Updated ice conditions

16 posts in this topic

Took the sled out over a mile today out to Shaw's Reef. Never found a spot with less than 7 inches of ice. It might be tough to get out there with a wheeler as we have 15-16 inches of snow, but it's all good with a sled. We will have the beginnings of a marked road in place by the weekend. grin.gif

Thanks for the update Paul. I'm glad to hear plenty of ice is still being made even with all this snow on the ice. Keep the reports coming! grin.gif

Hey Paul,

This will be my second year of serious ice fishing and I would love to come up there and check it out. I don't know much about the area you mentioned since I've only fished Mille Lacs a couple of times and it was always on the south side.

If I came up on Sunday with my younger brother, would you be able to point us in a good direction?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Adam,

Absolutely!! Come on up. We can get you pointed in the right direction.

Paul,

Is it safe to say things are a bit on the slushy side with all that snow, or is some of it starting to freeze up?

how long ya think until the ice is drive able by trucks?

Is there anywhere that a guy could just walk out?

Yeah! But how far out are you willing to walk?

I remember a trip many years back on late ice where we walked about 2.5 to 3 miles out. We had the best day of perchin ever that day too. Carried planks out with us to cross a couple spots. We went light though and it was pretty warm, between eight of us, one guy carried the auger and the others just pulled a small sled or carried a 5 gallon bucket. Wouldn't want to walk that far again though. A mile isn't too bad, maybe a 20 minute walk pulling the fish trap.

Hey Paul,

Tried calling you earlier this morning to no avail. Must be real busy I assume. It is good to hear about the ice levels at or around 7". Sounds like you are going to have a road plowed. Are you thinking by Sunday or earlier? Thanks for all your hard work.

Thinking of coming up on Saturday morning (early) but I don't have a wheeler or a sled. Suggestions as to possible fishing locations with my restrictions?

Oh I'd walk a mile as long as I'm not humping sleds and cases over drifts and heaves... I did two miles one way, twice last year on open ice wearing cleats.

doing two miles on open ice is one thing..... Doing two miles in a foot of loose snow is another!!!

Just got back from walking out of MC D's in Garrison out to 12 fow in the bay with 6-18" of snow. About 1/2 mile I think. A good 45 min work out and never doing that again. I pulled my Otter and had to stop 50 times and fell 3 times on the way back in. Why was there no snowmobiles out? I would have paid someone $20 to pull me in.

Sorry I didn't get your message until a short while ago. You should have just stopped by, you know we would have helped you out.

FF,

If I don't answer, leave a message, we're probably on the other line as the phone has been ringing off the hook. Give me a call, we can help you out.

Paul,

Me and a couple buddies are coming up on Saturday. We don't have access to a wheeler or a sled so we will be walking out, was wondering if you could give me a suggestion on where to go on the lake that we wouldn't have to walk too far in the snow, but still get on some structure for some eyes and perch. Also wondering how far out of your place it would be to walk out. Thanks in advance for the help