• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishhouse Heater for Portable

bassNspear

Question

Well mine is about ready to die, and i need to get a new one, What does everyone think i should get.

I dont like the sunflower heaters, so im looking for something else.

25 answers to this question

Mr Heater Big Buddy. Great heater. Works well through all temp ranges. Can be used with 1 lb or 20 lb cylinders. Has a fan. Less likely to burn your portable. Can also be used indoors.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'll second the Big Buddy or even two Buddies, one on each end.

thanks guys. ill let you know what i think of that. I had a old house heater that i loved, but i have to get something new becuase its just ran out of gas.

anyone else have anything?

Nope--- big Buddie for me as well... havn't burnt a hole in my house since owning one.. LOL

I own a big buddy but I'm on the fence as to if I like it or not. I love the fact that I don't get a propane hangover from it like I do a sunflower. I also like the fact that I don't burn holes in the portable and I can shut it off and grab it right away. I hate the fact that I had to totally take it apart and clean out the pilot oriface. This was my fault cuz I didn't use a fuel filter for a while and things plugged up. I also don't like the fact that the thing will just, for no reason I know of, shut off. I re-light and things are good. Also, they just don't crank out big time heat like a sunflower will. Maybe 2 big buddies would.

There ya go, the good and bad of both.

Another thing about sunflowers is they heat the house up in a hurry. But I can see why some people dont like them for all the other reasons.

I usually use a Mr. Heater Cooker. Can use with 1# tanks or use a hose to bigger tanks. If its cold I usually use my 11# tank and sunflower on it. I get more heat than with a 1# tank. When walking in I use a few 1#ers.

I have had The Buddy Heaters and Big Buddy and found them more trouble than they were worth. Either wouldnt stay lit or they plugged up. I want something dependable and the Mr. Heaters have never let me down. Keeps a vent cracked and they are just fine.

If you go with a big buddy get the filter for sure and run it off a tank and hose.

i dont like the sunflower heaters, they heat the house way to fast, and its hard to control the heat in the house.

Just open a window, vent or door zipper. I like it warm. wink.gif

I also make sure to get out and walk around a bit. This keeps the blood flowing.

Lay off the booze and caffiene and that helps too. A pair of fingerless wool gloves can also help to keep the chil off the hands.

Eat something, like beefsticks or jerky. Your body breaking down these foods will help keep ya warm.

Well I have both a big buddy and a sunflower and like them both I like the clean heat from the buddy and if I don't plan on moving to much thats what I'll bring. If I'm out runnin and gunnin grin.gif it's the sunflower cause I don't like messin around with hose/ disconnects with cold fingers and I want heat now, but overall I like the buddy best.

ICE DOG 1 out

i have a buddie and a big buddie for my otter lodge. plenty of heat and nice to have one on each side.

where do i find a filter for my big buddie? i never used one and i bet thats why i am having issues with it. do i need to clean it out somehow?

Look into the heat-process heater made by Heat Plus(just google it). They are also sold at Thorne Bros. Same operating principle as the buddy heater but without all the switches on them that make the buddy so finicky.

this is the heater that i have, and i have been looking for another one, but i cant find anything close to it. Can anyone help out

DSCF28082.jpg

That would be a convection heater and I love my Reddy Heater Hot Spot. I am suprised more folks don't use these as they kick out tons of heat and are very portable.

i have a buddy and it works perfect for my eskimo quick fish house(dont recommend the house though)..but a big buddy is probably better

I like the Mr. Heater sunflower cooker. You have the options of two positions and kicks out plenty of heat. I also like it because it works really well for cooking things (as indicated in its name) and if you tip it up, you can heat your boots/feet up pretty good. wink.gif

B-n-S Take that baby apart and clean it! Thats a good old stove,my buddy has one just like it and all he does is blow it out with air once a year. Myself I like to cook vennie to snack on when im fishing so I have a Mr Heater mounted inside a metal crate.When you lay it down flat its great for cooking on,Stand it on end and you can point the heat anywhere you want,If your careful you can sit on it outside when your fishing and it will keep you icehole from freezeing up!! wink.gif

I do that every year as well. I need to get a few more for my other houses when it is that i take guys out spearing with me, i need heaters for all the houses. I found one the other day, i just need to find a few more.

I converted to a big buddy two years ago since the sunflower was just too hot and risky for my frabil house. Seems everybody I know has a burn mark in their house with a mr heater cooker or sunflower. I haven't used a filter yet and haven't had any issues but it has been difficult to light at times and this might the reason to use a filter. I just had it up on a trip to LOw and it kept up with -20 degree temps with some wind but not much. I sure like how fast it cools but if traveling with an ATV make sure to get a cover on the buddy or have a cover on your sled. I found if any snow gets on the heater elements it has not chance to light. To date, no burns and plenty of heat with option of 1lbs or bulk tanks. Oh, and I forgot to mention that best of all is the fan to help circulate the hot air to warm the house quickly

Do the Mr. Heater cooker's kick out the smell like the sunflower's do? My buddy has worked well in my Clam 5600 but now I have a Frabill XL and am thinking of upgrading to something bigger. I have an OLD sunflower but agree on the LP hangover. I am leary of the big buddy and will run to Thorne in the next couple of days to check out their selection as well.

Quote:

Do the Mr. Heater cooker's kick out the smell like the sunflower's do?

They are the same heater. The Heater/Cookers mount to a bracket and are attached to a bulk propane tank with a hose where the original Mr. Heater Sunflower attaches directly to the propane tank. Same thing, different way of attaching to the tank.

I use a Heater/Cooker in my Otter Lodge and thats all I will use.

Whats interesting about these heater discussions is the temp ranges us ice fisherman experience. Guys in the metro might be able to use a regular Buddy Heater where guys on Lake of the Woods are running a Heater/Cooker & a Buddy Heater in the same house to stay warm. It definitely comes down to personal comfort level and how far north you fish.

I don't care what the temp is on the weekend, I'm going fishing. If I'm on LOW and its -20 with a NW wind... oh well! We aren't moving much that day. smile.gif I can guarantee you a Heater/Cooker AND a Buddy Heater will barely keep an Otter Lodge comfy in that kind of weather.

Just remember to consider the weather and temps you usually encounter when deciding on a heater!