Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goose89

minnewaska travel??

14 posts in this topic

Is the ice thick enough for 4 wheelers?? If yes, is the snow/ slush hampering travel?? Hoping to pull a "trap" or two out this w/e. Have chains.

i'm assuming the ice conditions are okay on waska, given the lack of replies on the cold temps we've been having. I'll post when I get back on the conditions.

Snows the word deep in places buried my 700 sportsman today in a slush pocket the i got smart and put on the chains and had no problem a good 8 or better of ice.

thanks for the reply spearman.

Was in Glenwood today or early evening and judging by the 4 wheelers I saw, everyone of them had chains on and headed for the lake. Some really big permenants headed out too. Didn't see any vehicles on the ice though.

yep, you definately need chains. There's a few "community" tracks from the popular accesses that are easily traveled, but blazing my own trail was a bit hair-raising. After the second "bigger" snow drift that had water under it, I decided fishing around others was better than being stuck, frozen, or worse. It's difficult to know where cracks / gaps are with all the snow cover and drifts.

6-7"'s of ice under snow / slush pockets on North side, west of Priest's. I'd think this cold snap will fix the slush pockets under the snow. But it's been a long time since we've had this type of early ice.

Be safe this w/e. If your out with a wheeler later today into evening, might be wise to start you engine every so often. My brand new battery barely got my COLD engine started last nite. I was glad I didn't get out as far as I wanted for a minute.

Quote:

I'd think this cold snap will fix the slush pockets under the snow. But it's been a long time since we've had this type of early ice.

Everybody be careful out there. We've had four separate occasions around Mora of people going through over the weekend. Two on foot, one sled, one wheeler. This snow is really affecting the ice. We haven't made an inch here in the past week even with the cold temps. Be safe and make sure to check that ice as you go, it is varying quite a bit right now.

I went out in the glenwood area and there was a good 9 inches of ice. 4 wheelers and wheel houses all over.

I didn't have much luck fishing though.

How about the Starbuck side? Are they pulling the big houses out yet? If they are, how far out are they going? Thanks

I didn't check the starbuck side.

lots of permenent house out here on starbuck side heard today a guy drove blazer out too move house got stuck a couple of times.lots of snow out there.but heard 12inches of ice now.im going to try to put mine out there on saturday with my wheeler got chains on it now lol.but dont know how far out ill make it.but im dying to get out there between workin on saturdays an the snow didnt get out there sooner.havent heard about any bites tho dont know if they are biting or not.

Does anyone know how far out they are going on the Starbuck side? How deep is the snow?

They are pretty much going everywhere now with modest size houses. There is generally 12+ in of ice and 4-8" of snow. A few slush spots here and there. Be aware of whats in front of you and you'll be fine. Bass, northerns and walleyes have been active for me.

Thanks for the report.