• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Briggs / Julia

sartellfisher

Nope, not this year. If you look under the archery forum under "the one that got away" he was behind there though.

~sorry to get off subject

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• Wallyeyes

• jaydog

• mrklean

I went out on the south side on briggs on tuesday i had 6-7

inches of ice. Fished in 13 feet to start with and fished for about 3 hours and no fish and no bites. About 3 i moved to 11 feet of water and caught a northern so i decided to put a new hook on and put a glow one on. It seemed thats what the walleyes wanted. I caught 2 about 4:30 and 5:15, one on a set line and one jigging, nice cleen fish. I hope this helps sartellfisher.

Anyone having any luck on the chain latley...will be going up this wknd to try it hopefully.

Just got home from an afternoon on Julia. Set up in 10 FOW. But so was everyone else. Dang, does anyone know what the population is out there. Looks like a small city. I hope the ten foot rule doesn't bother those guys cuz there ain't much more than that between some of those houses. Anyways, I was well away from the city and managed to ice a few nice eat'n crappies. The bite window was pretty tight. About a half hour, twixt 4:30 and 6:00. Not sure exactly cuz my watch died. My big buddy ran out of gas right in the middle of the bite so the second half was a little chilly. Nice day though so I didn't freeze. Fish came in around 2.5 ft off bottom and had to jig them up a few feet 'fore they bit. Man that's fun. Caught all of them on plastics. No live bait. Good times.

Julia is over rated!

I wont keep a crappie unless its at least 11 inches. Julia is just another example(there are many others) of a lake that had a good period for crappies a couple years back, pretty much got fished out from all of the Yoo-whoos keeping everything under the sun, and now if you pick up a little guy once in a while people start talking, and the whole deal starts all over again-except there really isnt anything to go out there for!

Dont be mistaken, this is not a "degrade the lake to get people not to go out there because they are biting" kind of post. This post is suggesting that people quit keeping small fish, and then telling everyone they know that the fish are biting. That is how lakes get ruined for years. Alot of lakes are like that around st. cloud.

Heres for those of you that actually do go out and try new lakes and spots, AND FIND FISH. Good work, but it makes no sense for you to come on these forums and display all of your information just so someone can reply with pat on the back and a "nice work" statement. We all love hearing fish stories, and seeing pictures, and its great to help out a fellow fisherman with technique tips or tackle/bait/presentation preferences, but what people really love is information on fish and where you got them; and that is the problem. You the advid ice fisherman who will take the risk of getting away from the village to find new fish, and possibly not succeed, are where ruined lakes begin. The info gets leaked some how, and it sure isnt from those people just sitting in the village everyday.

MN fishing used to be top notch. The best. Comparable to candadian lakes. Not anymore, and most people dont even know that! There are few lakes in MN that still hold large numbers of fish, and physically large fish, consistantly from year to year. some of you will argue with this, but thats probably because you are one of the few that can go out and find fish all by yourself, and then have the skill to catch them. All in all, I think everyone knows what I am talking about. Dont get me wrong, there are lakes that still produce, but in the grand scheme....MN is no longer the "place". or at least it isnt what it used to be.

Well thats my shin dig. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to offend anyone, or start any battles/stir the pot. It just makes me sad/frustrated what I see happening every year on the lakes.

my take is walleye the dnr needs to do what they are suppose to maintain are lakes, stock them ? to any one who agree let your legislature know. castindad

Quote:

Well thats my shin dig. In no way, shape, or form am I trying to offend anyone, or start any battles/stir the pot. It just makes me sad/frustrated what I see happening every year on the lakes.

confused.gif

Wallyeyes,

Great report!

To think that this site (F.M.) could bring down a lake, it like nutz. Briggs and Julia are like the only lakes in an area where there are almost no lakes. Plus its a population growth area as well. Where is a fisherman going to go. F.M./Yahoo or not, fisherman are going to go to these lakes and fish.

Walleys post by no way, shape or form makes we want to hit julia anymore that before I read it. Plus, I remember in the 80's just as many perms as there are now.

O my bad-I wasnt implying anything to his post.

I should have specified that. Im just posting based on my own experience. Walleyes has nothing to do with it.

Just wondering what you are talking about being there are no other lakes in the area? there are alot within a 30mile radius.

I don't understand hunter4life. What then, are we supposed to do on this forum. I did post the name of the lake but, then again, we are in the Briggs/Julia thread. I did not tell you exactly where my spot was, and although it's not a huge lake, it is large enough to get far away from the crowds and find decent fish. I'm not telling people to run out there and bombard the lake with pressure on every square inch of ice. I only kept 4 fish. They were not 11", but they don't need to be, to be eaters. Also, by only keeping larger fish, 11" and up, don't you think that is what 'stunts' the growth of fish in these lakes. If you throwback all the little ones, that's all there will be, little ones. I say eat the 8-11"ers and put the 11"ers and over back in the lake. That way they might make it to 14" someday. I'm not sure, but I think it takes longer for a fish to get to 14" from 8.5" than 11".

Can(Will) anyone back me up on this?

wallyeyes

you dont need anyone to back you up. IM not discrediting your opinion, and my post wasnt remotely in response to your report post. I dont feel that you said anything wrong at all. Like i just stated, my post was in response to my personal experience over the winters, and what I think is happening to the lakes.

I like to keep the bigger ones because 1: they provide more meat per fish, therefore I really dont need to keep more than a few, 2: by throwing the little ones back, it ensures a population in the future. That means that in another few years, there should be another generation of fish rising to prefered size.

Again, I dont think you said or did anything wrong, and I wasnt posting in reply to your report. I apologize that I didnt specify.

We're cool then? I wasn't sure if I upset you personally or what. I like this forum but I don't like getting into personal arguments over the keyboard. Good fishing to you, hunter4life, and to all this Christmas season.

Ya man, were cool. I try to stay away from making anything personal, and I dont like causing drama either. My post was simply just something I have been thinking about for a while now and decided to voice it to get it out.

Good luck to you too! Merry Christmas!

I am with hunter4life on this all the way. His long post summed up exactly what I was thinking as well. Think back several years before there was internet and various forums such as this one. How did you find out about a "hotspot"? WORD OF MOUTH. The internet just AMPLIFIES that. So instead of a couple people hearing about it from their friends, EVERYONE can hear about it at once on here. For every 1 registered, active poster, there are many many more unregistered internet scouters. Sure, share information but leave the specifics to private messages and emails. Just use your head when showing pics with backgrounds of lakes, and talking about spots.

If you think I am wrong, take a look at what happened at Pearl Lake last year. Sure its a lake that sees a lot of traffic, but a couple of people on here wouldn't shut up about it and half of St. Cloud was out there all year keeping 4" crappies. Tell me that doesn't hurt a lake.

Also, Walleyes not to bash you but the people that will back you on here, probably are doing so because you just helped them decide where to go fishing this weekend.... crazy.gif

I say post what you like! Some catch them and some do not. Obviously some posters on this thread do not catch them and blame others for this occurring to them.

If you have an issue with how this and these boards are run, click the “contact us" link in the lower left hand corner. Please!

I do not name lakes and spots of lakes I fish on a consecutive basis, but I like to help others who ask, get on some fish. If I know about that lake, I will post info on it. Walleyes did not say “go 50 paces 7 deg south of the fallen log”. He gave a great report and if people want to head out to that lake because of it, all the better.

What do you mean,” before these boards came around”. Anyone who wanted to know “where to get them” call local bait store. Most bait stores in the 80’s, 90’s and today would tell ya “80 paces and 3 deg. to the left of the blue dock”. They where not telling just us when we asked them, they told who ever wanted to know. Does not mean anyone is going to catch any fish at these spots, but its just like asking on this board.

How long has Frankie been telling hot spots? How long has the board hung behind the counter at Vadoes? How long has every other bait store in the state of MN been displaying a board or telling you the hot spots?

Its part of a true Minnesota Fisherman to help out some one who has questions. Its not like we are giving out plans on how to build a radio active bomb here, its just fishing.

Shack,

well said.I used to post on this site but now i just read based on fear of getting bashed.Burl.

I feel the same as burl, I use to use this st.cloud site more but lately it seems there is more bashing and certain people worrying to much about what the other people are saying. I thought this was site to share info with other people. You know there is more to fishing than fishing and that is working together with others to help the sport.

This is the one thread I follow and have advice for in the St. Cloud forum area. Why can they not pick on another thread in here? I liked how this one was going.

I hear what these guys are saying, but it’s to a point it has nothing to do with this thread and mostly will stop people asking questions in this thread. They vented and now I vented, but take what you read for what it is.

I guess there are always two sides to a fence, it’s just what side are you on. I am on their side of helping and like readings other peoples post’s about good times fishing. cool.gif

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well I have been watching this thread and to see where it's heading upsets me. I realize everyone has opinons and the right to voice them and here is my take. The post is entitled Briggs/Julia so I would expect that any info related to fishing (spots,results,bite times etc)would pertain to these lakes right? Walleyes IMO didn't do anything wrong, he didn't give up a specific spot or anything he just wanted to share info on his success on these lake which the post is about correct? I always hear how the internet has hurt the fishing here is my take on it. First we should ask ourselves do we own these lakes that are mentioned in this forum? IMO No we are given the right and privelage to enjoy them, and fish them right?

Has anybody thought about this. How do you think our local fishing papers,baitstores and fishing magazines affect it? I have a feeling alot of us on Fm have read a story or two on hot lakes or have glanced in the back at some of the local fishing reports right? And I bet that most of us are subscribers to some. I also bet when we go on trips we sometimes stop at local bait stores and I wonder do we ask what the hot lure, bait etc is. It's all about info to help us try and succeed no matter how we look at it.

As far as the fishing alot of folks are going to blame alot on all of these variables but IMO we have some of the best fishing locally right now. IMO too many people try and find the negatives in someones success because of the anger in the lack of their own success. IMO the fishing is as good as it was back in the 8O's and beleive me I am on the water alot. I am a tournament fisherman,summer angler and a die hard ice angler that fishes on the average 3-4 times a week. I have found tremendous success on alot of the lakes mentioned in this forum and my thought to the negative posters are, why relish and quander on someone elses success why not go out and try and create your own experiences and success and post so we all can enjoy it.

As far as people not posting I hope we will all take a minute and think about it. I feel FM is a great place full of great info,friendships,tips etc and by not posting you are not expressing yourself. Who knows how many great tips and ideas are out there in those heads so feel free to fire away! smile.gifsmile.gif

i thought Wallyeyes report was informative without giving away the specific location of his success. Keeping only 4 fish seems like an honest endeavor, I'm sure many were released. That being said Icehawk brought up a good point regarding newspapers, magazines and other publications which sell space to advertisors based on the info that they provide on hot spots and technique. I can remember very well 12-13 years ago when the Mpls Tribune prior to the soft water opener published the 10 top walleye lakes in Minnesota ( according to them ). One of these lakes happened to be Pearl Lake. Apparently everyone read that article because opening day you couldn't park a vehicle and trailer anywhere between the access and the Marty Liquor store.

Sharing info is what this site is about and what it was intended to do. I agree giving GPS cords on the open forum is not a wise move, but giving some useful info, especially when the poster is asking for only general information is not going to deplete the fishery, people who don't know when to say enough is enough however can do harm. thats where we all have to decide for ourselves and the conservation of this resource to give back some of what was caught. Just my nickels worth. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Very good point, i remember either last year or the year before i was reading that MN Sportsmans mag and they talked about both Grand and Pearl lake in there.

I knew there was some debate that came up on this thread when I saw 19 new posts since this morning smile.gif

I agree with sharing successes and general tips but I don't like to get too specific with my fishing posts either. On the other hand there isn't too many times when I've been PO'd at someone for the info they've given. I'll give info on lakes, times, and bait but never exact locations. It's too bad people actually shy away from posting because of what others are going to say though. There shouldn't be any negative posting on here, like shackbash said hit the "contact us" link if needed. Good luck fishing everyone.

Well I guess no one read my post very carefully because I stated numerous times that my post had absolutely nothing to do with Wallyeyes's post.

Not sure where anyone can get off saying that someone is mad at another persons success? Thats rediculous, I want people to catch fish, and I want the lakes to hold lots and lots of fish! I just dont think its good to be keeping every little fish ya catch when there are a million people on the lake who heard they were biting. Sometimes I catch alot of fish, and sometimes I get totally skunked but that doesnt mean Im going to rip on someone else for doing well.

I think everyone needs to read post more carefully, not jump to such intense conclusions, and when saying that people are afriad to post there thoughts on here, think of it from all sides. Of course naturally now that several people have taken what I said and twisted it around, even after I specified my intentions and foundation of my post, I am too afraid of saying ANYTHING on here anymore.

Again, my post wasnt in response to anyone. Yes, I am talking about Briggs/Julia lakes at the moment. If you want to critique my post, critique it on the info (population growth/amount people keep/keeping a hush hush possibly). Again, I said that I too think it is great to share info, but in my eyes there needs to be some self control, because it is honestly how lakes get fished out. And no, I dont think there is anything wrong with this forum, and being that I didnt ever even hint that there was, please dont ask me to contact the site. Its totally uneccessary and I take offense to it because I too use and like this site.

Since every post turns into the same debates, I think the moderator should make 2 stickies.

1. Fish size to keep?

2. Internet Scouters?

Then we can all debate these things there and lay the debate to rest and get on with talking about Briggs/Julia like the post is named.

Here, here!

I feel like heading out to Briggs this weekend, so I can give a report. cool.gif

But if it is like my last couple of trips, it would be slow.

Amen, I don't post to often because well frankly I don't catch alot of fish, if any at all. I'm a new hard water guy who reads to get advice on where to go. I fished briggs/Julia a few times last winter with one fish to show for it. I live close but can't seem to find fish in winter, summer is no problem. I don't sign in all the time because I don't have anything to say but i still like to read about people who have had sucess on the lake. So I guess what i'm saying is keep the info coming and i'll do the same (when and if I have any).

Plus, no matter what I catch for fish, I "catch and release" any and all fish I get.

The only place I keep fish is perch on Mill Laces and not all ways those either. I think most guys are in it for the "catch" situation, rather than the "eating" situation. Nothing wrong though on keeping some for the frying pan.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Alright fishermen.

This thread has wandered far from it's intended topic. Please stay on topic and keep it positive and within forum policy please.