• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Briggs / Julia

sartellfisher

Does anyone have ice fishing reports for Briggs chain including julia? I know the crappies where out there last year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shack

• Wallyeyes

• jaydog

• Dean Schellinger

I gave this chain a very good go at last season. Tails of walleye and crappies is what I had heard of.

It turned out to be a dead sea. Nothing on fish finder and no bites the 4 times I spent evenings and one day out on the chain. MOved around like the dickins and talked to other anglers, nothin.

Good luck it you hear out their and report back on what you get.

Was out on Julia last week and marked alot of little things. I assume they were perch, but couldn't get them to bite. There was a good 4.5" to 5" ice. Lots of portables and a few wheelers out.

Julia usually produces sunfish year round strait out and to the left of the access and Briggs puts out some good crappie action out and to the left of the access when you can find them haven't been out there yet this year hopefully in a couple weeks when goose closes.

Yeah, we got into a few crappies out on Julia last year but they were all tiny. Lake was really getting fished out last year, lot of people when I was out there. Was out there 2 evenings this year so far and only managed to catch 2 small crappies. When I say small I mean small!!

I didnt do to well on either lake last year. One time i went to julia got out there about noon lots of houses not a lot of ppl. Sundown hit and everyone and there mother was there managed small sunnies thats about it.

I will agree with everything people have said in regard to this lake...definitely another victim of "the fish are biting on ******, everyone and your brother come on out"

Internet scouters only compound the problem IMO. If I hit the lake this year it is strictly C & R for me, but I've got other spots with greater potential.

Sartell Angler,

My buddy has had a cabin on this lake for 25 years and another gal I worked with for years had one also. I have also fished it in the early ninties and the luck has been the same. I heard it was more a factor of farm run off than anything. But, I can see how word of mouth can spread. I fished it last year, because of word of mouth and close to home. I heard crappies and walleye are back. Wrong!

The lakes deader than a door nail. It does not get deep.

walleyes walleyes wallleyes biteing like crazy but not were everyone one fishes most of the reports on here are from people that don't fish lakes much or don't knows these lakes to many people just fish julia try other lakes

the lake is bowl 12ft is the deepest it gets 9-11ft is average fishing range but some times 5-7ft late and early ice

Fished this AM 7:00 AM/7 below, two crappie,two sunfish, two walleyes, a couple of perch and two shiner minnows. Were 4 inches long, debated saving for bait.The walleyes followed them in. Fish for supper.

Hey jaydog,

Thanks for the reply on the big lake forum about briggs ice spots to be aware of. I have finally negotiated with my wife time on saturday to ice fish. I intend to fish briggs. I am hoping to access on the canoe ramp on the west side of the lake. Have you ever accessed there? I drove by it last summer. I don't think that there is anywhere to park. Have you or anybody accessed the lake at this point? I don't have a snowmobile and I don't think I am in good enough shape to hike from the south end of the lake.

Thanks

fish

I parked there last year and the year before. It was at night and I had a buddy show up with his truck even later. I thought there was a very small parking lot/dip in froim road. Enough for a couple of trucks.

If you get anything, please post and some images would be nice. I had heard this year now that this lake froze out last year and has been very slow for anything. But jaydog says their is fish, so I do not know. I have better lakes in area to hit.

Good luck! cool.gif

Theres no way Briggs could freeze out, so don't let that scare you. Its about 40-45 feet max depth and has channels to other lakes. Anyways, yes, there is a spot to park that usually gets plowed out that is like shackbash said, a bump in from the road. I would say that climbing that hill this year with the snow is going to be a task with equipment. Don't expect to bring all your stuff up the hill in the sled in one trip. As for fishing, don't know haven't been out there this year. Good luck

The donk is right, it did not freeze out. Some of the best fishing spots on those lakes are away from everyone else where you wouldn't even think to try. Thats all I'm gonna say.

I have had some quality fish out of the lake. I am not very technically sound and don't know how to post pics. I can tell you that I had caught some quality panfish (on shad raps)and walleyes last summer. I even caught a rumered smallmouth. I did well on julia but it sounds like there are lots of people fishing that little lake and I like to be away from crowds. I think that hill will be a climb. Better bring the mountaineering gear!

Quote:

I would say that climbing that hill this year with the snow is going to be a task with equipment.

I forgot about the hill grin.gif. Multiple trips up from base to top, after a long walk on ice. Leave the smokes at home!

I will give this lake another try this year. Its only like 15 minutes from my house. I go threw blue hill or head out on 16 west.

Thanks.

The hill is tuff, i fished out there last year before i found the south access. It kicked my butt to, its even better when its a little slick, makes it even more fun

Don't forget about the mountain dew fish, coors lite fisd, and the garbage fish.n With a dumpster at the landing you would think that people could pick up their trash. I filled my bucket with other peoples crap. I know that most of the users on here would not do that. But if I ever catch anyone leaving their trash on this or any lake I am going to take the law into my own hands. I believe one can still preform a citizens arrest if you have a witness. How many stupid people are out there. Come on PICK UP YOUR CRAP!!!!

In someone’s defense and still no excuses, but if you clime that hill at 1:00 am and like said before, the hill slicks up after sun down. I can see how someone could get to the top and slips and sled and porty roll down hill. Everything goes every where. All I can say is pick everything up and use flash light. I put all my trash in my minnow bag and tie off before heading in to shore. I guess this would be a good thing, if sled was to roll down hill. I do this just to keep lake clean and my porty clean.

My brother in-law twisted his ankle bad two years ago, coming up hill at night. He said the walk to the south access would have been worth the week of pain he suffered.

what is the ice situation on these lakes. Thickness and quality. Driving wheelers? Thinking of taking my kid out with me this weekend, just want to make sure its safe.

thanks.

Sack not to rip on you but I have never seen a hill on a lake before. I picked up so much trash on the lake yesterday it made me sick. I don't know how long people have been fishing out there but if know one picked up other peoples junk I wonder what the lake would look like. And maybe if people wouldn't drink a case of beer and leave it on the ice they wouldn't fall down a hill on the lake. Sorry I feel that there is no excuses for littering period!!!!!

Sorry uphill, I thought you where talking about picking up trash at the bottom of hill at canoe access. You where talking about boat access on south end. Either way, picking up after your self is a fact of fishing.

Sack, yep I was talking about the lake Julia to be specific it was terrible (spelling). I have never used that canoe access I have fished walleyes not far from there. But I never have wanted to attempt the climb myself. I also would not want to take a spill on it either. How did you do fishing on briggs anyways. This is the first time in about 2 years that I have fished anywhere on that chain.

I have not fished either lake yet this year, but have in years past. I did not fair well, but others have reported action on this lake. I pretty much gave up on it, but will give her another chance this year. It’s close to my house and worth another try.

The way I fished it before, was to go out and find depth, come in a little shallower and finds breaks and or structure. Try to see some action on graph or flasher and work from there with a small crappie minnow and small jig. Now, I had very little luck. Some bites and maybe a small crappie hear and there (I can not remember), so my above tactics could be some ways to avoid, rather than try. Pretty much I just tried approaching Briggs and Julia, like I would approach any new lake or a lake I have not caught fish on.

Good luck!

screw the canoe access go to the main access drive atv or snowmobile last weekend i saw a jeep a 100yrds off shore plus juila is doning better