Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
JonnyD

Where to get on the lake

JonnyD

I plan on fishing the SW side of the lake this weekend, and it is my first time ice fishing the lake. I moved up here last year, and have only been in my boat so far on the big pond.

A have a few questions. What is the closes bait shop in the SW area to get bait at? And where does a guy walk out at? With all this snow, I'm assuming it's going to be quite a pull through all the snow. Would any one be willing to give me a few ideas on general areas to fish, that won't include a 1 1/2 mile walk thorugh 8 inches of snow? I'm trying to tarket some perch.

Any help for a new guy would really help...Thanks

AceintheHole

Post deleted by AceintheHole

tom fellegy

jonnyd,

stop at lundeen's bait on the corner of 169 and 27, bill will point you in the right direction. cove bay is a good early ice area, but, it is a little walk from the public access to get to the area that is most fished. if you do fish cove bay, be carefull around the point, there is bad ice/open water all winter long. with the low water levels this year, it will be worse than years past. i haven't seen anybody fishing on the main lake yet. i may get out and check the ice this afternoon and see if i can reach some of the close in rock spots. it is -12 this morning, i think that it is making ice.

aceinthehole,

can you post a picture of that 47 inch northern??? that has to be one of the top 5 northerns caught in the state this year, as far as lenght goes.......tom fellegy

AceintheHole

Sandmannd

Johnny D, Myself and a couple of FMr's are coming up to Isle on Saturday. This is my first trip up for ice as well. I'll have a white Durango and a green Otter II, one of the guys is bringing his one man as well. Look us up, maybe we can learn together. If you want, give me an email and I'll get you my cell so we can get together.

TRZ

Just wondering how big that pike was in your last post it was 43 inches? confused.gif nice fish either way. grin.gif

Grant Pearson

can't wait to get up there and drop a line down a hole!!!! It's going to be a pretty good time!

AceintheHole

The 43" was caught on friday and weighted close to 34lbs the two 41" I got very each about 30-31 lbs but the 48" was by far the thrill of a life time almost, sh#t my pants when we got throught the hole. Their in there but like I said you need to find holes in the weeds 3to6' for pike and put a tipup right in the middle with a dam big sucker on it. Once the weeds are gone so are the big pike also us a quick-strike rig they are awesome and very effective no need to let them run with the bait. Be safe and good fishin. All fish were released CPR

bailey27

I thought the same thing about that northern....you sure that wasn't a musky? A 47" Northern is a monster. I have caught a few in the low 40's and once had a 44" Tiger, which I thought was a northern until further review. I hope you took a picture of that one.

jerk bait

Quote:

The 43" was caught on friday and weighted close to 34lbs the two 41" I got very each about 30-31 lbs but the 48" was by far the thrill of a life time almost, sh#t my pants when we got throught the hole. Their in there but like I said you need to find holes in the weeds 3to6' for pike and put a tipup right in the middle with a dam big sucker on it. Once the weeds are gone so are the big pike also us a quick-strike rig they are awesome and very effective no need to let them run with the bait. Be safe and good fishin. All fish were released CPR

Those must have been very girthy fish to weigh that much.

SWMuskeye

I hope I don't get slammed here, but it's just a friendly reminder when dealing with these giant northerns/muskies,etc. In no way am I implying that the people posting above mishandled their fish....

Weighing a fish of this caliber with a lip grip/boga/berkely scale is very tough on these fish. In fact their spinal cords can stretch out an inch or two through this process when weighing them vertically.

So please, everyone C&R is great, but has anyone else caught a big nort or muskie that looks like the hunchback due to improper handling? Please be careful, get a few measurements and let em grow.

Good luck fishing everyone, sounds like a couple of once in a lifetime fish. I think my 8" auger would've had me in trouble with those pike....

AceintheHole

bailey27

Ace...I had to ask, I was not implying that you did not know what you are talking about. That is a great catch. I have never seen a Noprthern that large in person so good work. If you have a picture we would all love to see it.

pike doctor

A 41" northern that weighed 30 lbs??? I have to see this thing. I have pics with fat 36-40" fish that are right around 15-20lbs. I suppose it is possible, but I will have to see it to believe it. Maybe somebody fed them a couple of lead balls before you landed them. grin.gif

AceintheHole

JonnyD

Hi Sandmannd,

I'm thinking I'll be some where in the Isle bay area as well. I'll have a green Durango, and will be in a Clam Guide flip shack. I have no idea where to go, so I'll probably just look for some shacks and fish in the general area. For some reason I'm not able to send you a message. But I'd be interested in meeting some others from the site. Feel free to send me an email jonderuyter@hotmail.com

AceintheHole

fishinalot

I caught & released a 40" on Mille Lacs, it was 15lbs and it was not skinny by no means. 30 lbs?? I would need to be there to believe that one. It would have to have 15lbs of baitfish in it!

skies_and_eyes

let the big pike go,so they can grow!! What a great place Mile Lacs is!!!

TRZ

I have a 42 inch mille lacs northern on my wall that had a 24 inch girth, it was right at 20lbs- i have had a creel worker tell me they have netted them up to 52 inches. maybe i'll get lucky and hit one this weekend in isle bay. grin.gif

Sandmannd

Just sent you an email JonnyD with my cell in it. Hope we can catch up together and see if we can't get some.

walleyeJoe

i have seen northerns way up north i dont even want in my boat they are so big.... i think 52 would be an understatement for the size of the water mille lacs is, and all the bait there is to eat for them.