Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reelemin

Fish Lk - wheelers and ice conditions????

25 posts in this topic

Been ready the other post, but thought I would start a fresh one for updates for this weekend on Fish Lake.

How much snow is up there?

Hows the ice conditions?

Will larger wheelers be able to get through the snow?

Are plowed roads a remote chance to get us out a ways?

Just a few questions on my mind confused.gifcrazy.gif

Not nearly enough ice to plow a road. I think 7" is the most I found. They didnt get much snow today so wheelers may still get us around.

any chance 2 of us with wheelers/plows may be able to plow a mini road? I got a 60" plow and chains in the back...might be worth a shot for the little wheelers without...

Woodie, I would leave the plow at home. Just one more thing for you to brake smirk.gif.

Tom -

Don't need you Jinxing me already! My luck sucks the way it is. Benna Ford has my transfer case torn apart....they say it should be fixed and back together by Saturday. Else...i'm a bit screwed.

U get much snow out your way tom? I'm on 43rd E and 15th Street....we don't have much here...maybe 2.5 - 3" today. Downtown on lake & 1st where i work, everyone took off around 230...it was getting thick downtown!

Woodie plowing with a wheeler would be more trouble than its worth Im afraid. `Besides it would take a day to plow out to where we will most likely be. Same spot as last year. If we cant get there hugging the shoreline we will have to go where we were 2 years ago.

We got close to 20 inches the plow is back out at 5-am and I can not believe we got snow to ride sleds and plow. Well we will need it to get very cold to make ice now shocked.gif.

I was out tonight...holy slush ladies and gentlemen. As

Skipper's Kid said, we need some series cold now!

I'll figure out a way to get wherever the fish are biting....or atleast to move around a bit to see if i can find where the fish are biting!! Ohh yes. wink.gif

tearin' lips, did it slush up after you drilled or was slush everywhere?

Planning my first ice fishing adventure on fish on the 16th. Is the public access the place to get on or is the ice there sketchy because of the dam nearby? May be a dumb question, but better safe than sorry.

Personaly I would just go out of Highbanks. $3 to use the access is worth it to me. Word is the wheelers are getting out as far as airplane island anyways.

Slush now so we need some below 0 nights to freeze it up.

Highbanks reported that wheelers are getting out....so that brings up some hope! I'm sure after the wheelers and sleds are out to the "spot"...a nice trail will be compacted quite a bit...making it easier for lower profile wheelers...

I've been on Fish lake the last two days. Travel has not been to bad in the narrows on my 4 wheeler. We may be able to get other places this Saturday who knows. If your choice is Bring a wheeler or walk out I would bring a wheeler. There is enough snow out there to make it a tough walk if your trying to pull a house.

See ya all on Saturday!!!

was out today for couple hours managed to get one pike... couple inches of slush in places got the sled and house hung up in a spot over by the banks decided to turn back and fish next to the narrows... has anyone fished out from the public access off to the left?

crappie-king, there are guys that access at the dam and setup along the left side. Remember to stay clear from out in front of the dam. IMO the best that area has going for it is, its close to the landing. Unless you have some small piece of structure saved in a GPS along there your success will be limited.

I'd imagine with the traffic coming out of Hi-Banks plus the snowmobiles running the lake you could get on a track and into the narrows, off airplane island, or the point going into crappie bay.

ok i need to know. where is fish lake. it has been bugging me and i cannot find the dang lake.

Head up central entrance till you get past menards. The turn is right past pure pleasure on your right hand side. (lavaque road)....take that straight for about 14 miles and you will come to a bridge crossing a channel. Thats fish lake on the left hand side. There is a resort (Eagles Nest) before the bridge, and another resort (Blue Max) after the bridge. However, I heard the Blue Max went belly up and claimed bankruptcy... Real easy to find. Highbanks that we are talking about is a bit past the minnowette if you are aware where that is....

If your looking to make it, and want complete directions to highbanks...let us know...we can get you directiosn from wherever you are coming from.

I am wanting to come i just dont exactly know where the lake is. I live in at the college in ely. I just know the lake is up here somewhere and i wasnt able to find it. It would be great if i could get directions from here

Thanks

The fish lake we are speaking of is about 14 miles outside of Duluth, not by Ely....

Wow yea i just looked at the directions. 120 miles away from me. so i dont htink i am going to be able to make it also not knowing the weather conditions.

You always have the Burntside Bash thats at the top of the forum! I hope to make it this year as a newbe....knowing full well this site is full of awesome folks who are more than willing to share knowledge and show me to "ropes". See if you can't plan to attend that! I have heard great stories from previous years events...i know this one is going to be a blast! Plus...the benefit for Deb is also a great persuader to make me go!

Its snowing here in downtown duluth real great as we talk.....I'm sure that will be even better for Saturday. (being sarcastic). Were supposed to get 1-3" today. As long as it stays cold....its ok~

Yea i am going to try and go to the bash. I was reading it awhile ago and it sounds really fun. It'll be something new. That and I just moved up here and I dont really know where to fish so i kind of just try and get by

oops wrong post

will not be able to make this one, working. last gathering time my wheeler broke at the landing. I usally go in the back access to Fish, its just closer for me. has any one been throught there? normally there is a good trail made by snow machine so its not hard getting out to the main lake. bought a 650 atric cat this past summer, wanting to see how it will take to the snow. Suppose I should take the house down out of the rafters and put the canvas back on it first grin.gif.

O