• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage broadheads

harvey lee

Im sorry let me re-phrase that for ya realtower,even though I didnt ask you,

The LARGE majority of everything Ive heard about rage broadheads, including sources outside of this forum, has suggested that they are well liked, and do a great job of disposing of game quickly. Im just curious as to what your experience has been that leads you to not like them? If Im going to buy them, then I want to hear many different kinds of opinions, and why.

Is that better realtower?

You have to excuse Realtower, he likes to stir the pot... tongue.giftongue.gif

Don't you mr. realtower. Slow day and not out fishing on a sunday, ha?

mr tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Hi Guys. When I put out the less than positive info about the Rage broadheads I wasn't trying to stir the pot. But, given the very large number of people who are reporting first hand info about them that is pretty negative, I thought I should at least make you aware that there are some pretty serious concerns about them out there. I have no personal experience with them, so I can't comment on them. However, if you get on some of the archery websites you'll easily find 100+ people who report negative experiences with them. I'm always skeptical of a random report here or there like this, but I saw many, many dozens of people reporting problems with them. That suggests to me there's something to it.

Again, I'm not trying to stir the pot. I just thought I should let people know that some are unhappy with them.

No, MEATRUN was not out fishing but I was out closeing the deal with the smokepole. Big Doe Down!!!

Close Hunter4life but if you went back through the posts you would no why I dont like them. Im not saying the 2blade is bad because I know thats MeatRuns favorite grin.gif but the three blade should not have the blade broke off. I shot a 250lb buck a few years ago through bolth front shoulders with a spitfire and all three blade where fine. I have to agree through that the two blade leaves a big hole. I would say try the two blade or be safe and shoot the slick tricks man those things fly great for a fixed blade and sharp as heck to. (2cents)

Gotcha,

Like Scoot, I also dont take much consideration into a few negative posts here and there. With all of the good things that Ive heard, it strikes me to see so many negative evaluations of the broadhead recently. So, before I buy them, I want to know why a person likes or dislikes them, so I dont make a mistake by buying them and wasting my time. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

Rage expandables are junk, don't waste your money.

Sorry, but making a statement like this seems completely irresponsible.

Personally, the only way I feel I could form any kind of opinion on these broad heads(Rage)would be to buy a set and try them out myself. There are just too many variables to consider to base your opinion solely on the comments of others.

Quote:

I would say try the two blade or be safe and shoot the slick tricks man those things fly great for a fixed blade and sharp as heck to. (2cents)

I was very impressed with the Slick Tricks also, I shot a 120lb + doe last month and the arrow only went about 2/3rds the way through, but after inspecting the exit wound, I found that the arrow had gone through the opposite shoulder and busted it up. Tough little broad head.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rage expandables are junk, don't waste your money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sorry, but making a statement like this seems completely irresponsible."

"Personally, the only way I feel I could form any kind of opinion on these broad heads(Rage)would be to buy a set and try them out myself. There are just too many variables to consider to base your opinion solely on the comments of others."

Uh, what? Isn't it kind of irresponsible not to do your reasearch prior to shooting something at an animal? You mention how many variables there are to consider and that there are too many to base a decision on the comments of others. Maybe it is just the musky fisherman in me, but I would rather find out what has worked or not worked for others before taking a chance on something new. I'd rather not learn any more lessons the hard way, kinda sucks. That's the idea behind asking questions like this.

I understand what you are saying about unsupported statements, but it is starting to sound like you might work for the company...

-Chris

Guess I would like to add my prespective here. Little story;

Three years ago on the recommendation of one of the major sporting stores, I tried expandables for the first time. Been a muzzy shooter for years. These were the rear expandng blades from Rocky Mountain. Don't remember the names, but still have them in my trash drawer. Lost two deer to perfect hits with only about six inches of penetration shooting 60 lbs. draw. Quit bow hunting for two years and this year started again with not much confidence. After hearing positives on the two blade Rage broadhead, I purchased a three pack. Pretty spendy, but tried them. Shot a 215 lb eight pointer and watched it fall. It jumped once and ran 20 yards and fell. There was an unbelievable blood trail from the first jump.

So at least for now, I will continue to use and recomend them, but only the two blade model. Have not heard any good feedback about the three blade model. Good luck with your decision. My .02

Quote:

Quote:

Uh, what? Isn't it kind of irresponsible not to do your reasearch prior to shooting something at an animal? You mention how many variables there are to consider and that there are too many to base a decision on the comments of others. Maybe it is just the musky fisherman in me, but I would rather find out what has worked or not worked for others before taking a chance on something new. I'd rather not learn any more lessons the hard way, kinda sucks. That's the idea behind asking questions like this.

I understand what you are saying about unsupported statements, but it is starting to sound like you might work for the company...

-Chris

First of all I have no affiliation with any broad head/archery company. I have no agenda other than to share my experiences and opinions.

I'm not saying don't research the product, but don't you think part of your research should include actually shooting one at the practice range to see how they perform?

The variables I was referring to were the differences in bows and the individual set ups. A broad head that flies well out of your bow may not perform the same out of mine and vice versa.

There are a lot of variables that could come into play just between each archer and his equipment. Now add in all the variables at the time of the shot. Hunter’s demeanor, weather, yardage, deer’s position, shot placement and of course equipment failure, etc. There are a lot of reasons why a hunter may not recover his/her deer.

You're absolutely right about testing stuff out at the range. However, the problems that we are talking about (failure to open and lack of penetration) do not manifest themselves on the range.

As I stated before, I really could care less what other people shoot. I just think that people should be aware of potential problems with products before using them.

Anyway, nothing personal at all, just trying to make sure that information keeps coming in.

I think I'm understanding what metrojoe is saying. I was in the position to buy new broadheads this year. I was going to buy the rage 2 broadheads but ended up buying cabelas expandables instead becuase the rages were sold out as they were just about everywhere I looked. I quit using fixed blade broadheads when I couldn't get them to fly like I wanted. The mechanicals I use work very well. Every deer that I have hit with them has died. The big buck I shot this year went less than 100 yards but it was a perfect shot and pass through. I still have 4 of the broadheads left. I don't replace blades, only broadheads. I don't take shots unless the vitals are an unquestionably easy target. Once my broadheads have been shot, they are now practice heads. I'll spend 20 bucks on 5 shells that are not reusable for my shotgun, so I don't think that spending 10 bucks on a broadhead is too much, I guess its a confidence thing. I read all the posts about the broadheads not expanding and having trouble when the arrow hits shoulder blades. Maybe we should be more concerned about why people are hitting shoulder blades than why the broadhead didn't penetrate. When reading comments, especially first hand, my first question is always why didn't it expand, and the second is always, if the expandable didn't penetrate, would a fixed blade have faired any better. Its not possible to exactly duplicate any shot, at any moment, at any deer, in any condition. I don't let one persons negative comment effect my opinion. I will form them myself. Its really quite a conundrum. We want to take the field with the best stuff, but what works for you might not work for me. Whats junk to one person, might work perfect for the next person, as we are obviously finding out on this thread. It's great to hear first hand experience, but I'll let my own first hand experience determine what I use, or what I throw. Many on here have already expressed that sentiment. One bad shot and its easy to blame the broadhead when one should maybe blame themselves.

To expand a little bit on my comments, my philosophy is the same as yours. Never change blades and re-shoot the same broadhead except for target practice, limit shots to 20yds or less, broadside or quartering away shots only, etc.

I do my best to consider advice, but the decision is ultimately mine. Too expensive to buy one of each and experiment. I've shot many varieties of broadheads over the years, starting with the basic Bear broadheads and cedar arrows. Could never get any fixed to fly like target tips or find a pattern. My first expandable experience was devastating. Never recovered the blades so could not find out what happened. One lost deer, I can blame myself. Not two with similar shots and double losses.

I only related to you my experience with two blade Rage expandables. The only broadhead I will say is junk is the first expandables I bought. I don't even remember the name other than Rocky Mountain. The next year they were pulled from the market, so they were bad.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I hear the rage two and three blade heads are great and i even know a guy from work that harvested a great black bear this year with the two blade, and had no problems following the blood. For me personally i want to try the rage but the fixed blade slick tricks that i am shoot do fly the same as my field points out to 30 yards and i just cant justify buying any new heads just because i want to try something differeent.

Don't change! The SLICK TRICK is twice the head the Rage is. You will never have to worry about malfunction on a SLICK TRICK. Thats from someone that has always shot expandables till now. I have been TRICKED! grin.gif

In my personal experience. The Rage 2 blades did their job very well. I like the large entrance and exit holes that they provide, this also equate to large lacerations inside the body cavity. In the end knowing where your arrows hit, having scalpel sharp broadheads, and taking high percentage shots is far more important that what brand of broadheads you use.

I have heard too many bad things on these.Recall,they are not opening.

( Note from Admin,please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you.)

I will try and get the video of this broadhead not working.Filmed this week shooting a doe and not opening up deer never slowed down and was no recovered.Shot was looked at and looked at again again.Placement was good.The Rage did not open.

If the deer was not recovered, how do they know the broadhead did not open? Do they have the arrow with the un-deployed blades?

A field point out of my sons 30# bow placed in the boiler room will bring down a deer... If it was a good shot as posted, the deer would've been recovered! It may not have dropped in a short distance, but no way is it running a mile with it's lungs punched out, or it's heart hit or even with a severed liver... blades deployed or not!

Good Luck!

Ken

Well said Labs, If the arrow hit the vitals the deer would be down. A lot of people believe that you need a huge hole in the vitals to kill the animal, but nothing could be father from the truth. You will get a better blood trail with a bigger hole but both will kill the animal. I have shot mechanicals for years and have never had one fail. I know that it can happen and it might happen to me someday but until that time comes I will continue to shoot them just for the accuracy and big holes and better blood trail.

I would agree with the last post. if you hit a deer in the bouiler room with a field point, the deer is going down. The broadhead would not have to even open.

I dont know what happened but, sometimes one thinks he has a good hit only to find out later it was a merginal hit at that.

I realize that people form their own opinions in various ways...experience, other's experiences, media, etc, etc. I just hope people don't assume expandables are going to work without actually taking the time to do some personal testing. I have purchased 2 different types of mechanicals over the past few years fully intending to give them a shot out in the field hunting. So I tested them by trying to simulate a hunting situation (hitting a deer, etc). I do the same with any fixed blade I may use. On a couple of occasions the mechanicals didn't open up, therefore they never made it out hunting with me! I understand that even the most extensive broadhead testing with perfect results still doesn't guarantee that the blades will deploy while hunting and that point is also something I can't get past. Since I have found a fixed blade that is more accurate than any mechanical I have ever shot(for my setup), I won't change what works. In my opinion, many bowhunters changed over to mechanicals when they heard/experienced that they "fly like fieldpoints"...which I agree, they fly great, but many changed over because this meant they didn't have to struggle with fine tuning their setup, which again in my opinion is a very poor excuse. The chance, however slight, that a mech. head may not open up while shooting at an animal...that's personally not good enough for me and a chance I will never be willing to take.

(www.prorelease.com/xring.aspx)

remove parenthesis

Here is video I came across with an interesting broadhead test. I was actually surprised by some of the results. Of course it's not a conclusive test, but it would be interesting to see them do some extensive testing using different bows and different setups.