• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rage broadheads

harvey lee

All fall i watched and listened to many on those rage broadheads and the awesome performance they give.

I have been a die hard Muzzy fan for many years and after seeing what those broadheads do to a deer and the exit hole they leave, I will be switching to the Rage heads next year. I could not believe the hole those heads make in a deer.

I only shot one deer with a 2 blade rage and I will continue to use them. I did not get a pass thru due to a very high rib shot but as soon as the arrow hit blood started pouring out of the huge hole.

I guess some are having problems with changing blades, a very small pin that breaks during replacement so I hope they get that figured out other wise there a one shot wonder for over $10 bucks a pop. But a great broad head if you want big holes.

Check out some forums on the rage site...apparently they had a big recall. I thought I had the kill shot and was left with my "you know what" in my hand instead. I most likely caught the shoulder so I can't blame the broadhead, but I know of a couple scenarios where some penetration issues did occur. Anyway, I'm not gonna pass judgement yet...I'll keep them on the end of my arrows for now. I'm curious to hear others' reactions as well, however.

They will ruin a deer's day. All that I've talked to that use them swear by them and the gi-normous hole that they leave. A very forgiving broadhead.

I used the three blade Rage broadheads last year, and was somewhat satisfied. The only complaints I had were that one of the blades didn't expand all the way and that my arrow didn't penetrate all that well.

I haven't used the two blade, however, so maybe that is different.

The broadhead I switched to this year - and will be stocking up on this winter - is the SlickTrick. They don't leave the size of a hole Rage broadheads do, but man do they fly straight and penetrate well. I've killed two deer this year with them. The first was a doe at 62 yards. That arrow nicked the front shoulder blade, passed through the chest cavity and blew out the opposite side shoulder blade. I realize how improbable that sounds, but it is the god's honest truth. The second doe I shot was only 27 yards away, but again, the arrow went exactly where I was aimed and was a complete pass through.

I have a buddy who is an archery pro in a larger store and he sold me on SlickTricks before the season. He said that all the guys in his shop use them over the Rage broadheads. I could care less what other people use, but I have gone through a few brands to find one I really like.

-Chris

Mechanicals still scare me a bit....but from what I have heard these are the real deal. They open differently too so that might be cause for less failure. I'll let some of you guys shoot them for another year and listen to the reports first!

They're a great head no doubt. When you have the marketing campaign that these heads have there's going to be a lot people shooting them thus hearing good things and bad things. They leave a big hole. But any sharp broadhead put in the right place will give you the same result. I shot a doe with the 3 blade this fall and was pleased. I also hit scapula on another doe which I didn't get and that's why I prefer a head with the "trocar" or "pathfinder" tip. If you hit bone you've got a much better chance than from using a bleeder cut on contact blade like the Rage has. Currently I've got Slick Tricks and Tekan II's in the quiver. If you're familiar and confident with your Muzzy's - I'd stick with them!

I don't see the sense in risking it. I have heard from people I know that they have had problems with these things not expanding. Why leave it to chance. I like small fixed blades. No worrying about any mechanical failure.

I haven't heard of any problem with the 2 blade... I believe it was only the 3 blade on the recall and that was for a limited time...

Many guys who bad mouth them DO NOT use them and only repeat a report they heard of their buddy's - buddy's - uncle's friend at work - who's neighbor had one not open. Then 4 guys all say they don't work. Making it sound like 4 verified failure reports... when it is at most 1 and even then it not verifiable as the info is passed hand to hand. I have heard from a friend who's family member had one that one blade may not have dep[loyed on the 3 blade on impact but was deployed on the pass through. But this report over 4 guys may turn into " they don't work". I seen what they do, they are more than impressive in the size of the entry and exit wound. I've personally witnessed a bear's rip that was totally severed from a Rage broadhead. I seen a doe with a pass through of both shoulder blades...

My self? I stick to the 2 blade. Bigger wound and 2"+ and if you are worried about mechanical failure... one less blade to deploy.

Good Luck!

Ken

I too was very iffy on using a mechanical, this year I went to the Rage, they are manufactured 7 miles from my home. Field Logic too has been a big supporter in local Archery.

Anyway, I shot 4 Deer with the 2 blade this year, none of the deer went further than 30 yards after impact, I watched 2 of them drop with in seconds. The heads all were recovered after the kill and I was in awe of how they held up, the thickness of the blade and the main body make this thing a pretty strong head.

What I like best though is they shoot like darts and make me a much better shot with a ton of confidence. I'm 100% sold on them. grin.gif

I'm surprised to hear all of these positive comments about the rage mechanicals here. On a couple of the archery websites I frequent they are really tearing the Rages a new one. I'm not trying to start an argument here- I personally don't care what anyone shoots. Just thought I'd mention that a lot of people are apparently having big problems with these heads.

I shoot the rage 2-blades as well as slick tricks. I shot 6 deer this year and watched them all die. One doe with a slick trick that went maybe 15 yards and three does and two buck (MN and WI) with the rages. The performance of the rages was great. The only negatives are the blade replacement and they like to catch brush and open in my quiver (cat quiver style). It is nice to see animals die but even more impressive is being able to follow the blood trail with binos from the stand. Being able to support the local economy is great as well.

I have to agree that most opinions I've heard about expandables have been from the example given by labs4me. (a friend of a friend of a friend said...blah...blah....blah)

I've been shooting expandables for 2 years now with fantastic results.

I think Field Logic also manufactures the Rocky Mountain Snyper. In fact they're 2 blade model looks very similar to the Rage. I've been leaning towards the Rocky Mountain 3 blade model only because of the chisel point. I've really developed a lot of faith in the chisel point over the years. Right now I'm shooting the Rocky Mountain Extreme. roc_extreme100.jpg

They have been very deadly, but they are also dicontinued. frown.gif

I might have to pick up a 3 pack of each.

I almost forgot, I did shoot my first deer this year with a Slick Trick. Anyone looking for a new fixed blade should definitely put these broadheads on their list.

i myself have kicked the mechanicals to the curb. so it would be a VERY tough sale for me to buy another set of any brand. second weekend of bow hunting i took an 8 pointer at 12 yards, while i was kneeling in a patch of tall grass. with an 80 lb bowtech as well. 100 grain tekan II, easton axis full metal jacket. all should have added up to drop dead kill, when placed in the boiler room. nope, clean pass through, but the broadheads never opened up. discovered it when i found the arrow, kinda looked suspicious. then when i skun him, it looked like he was shot with a field point. so, if anyone wants the other two tekan II, feel free, they're yours, but you'll have to dig them out of the garbage, and who knows where that ended up.

Labs4me and MetroJoe,

The only posts on here expressing concerns about Rage broadheads not opening up are first hand. I understand what you are saying about gossip, but what's with criticizing the criticism. It's how people find out what to buy and what not to buy.

I personally will never go back to mechanicals. Not because I am that dissatisfied with the ONE type I tried, but because I would rather not chance it. What's the point if you have a fixed blade that shoots straight and you are a decent shot?

-Chris

Had my first and last experience with Rage 2 blade mechanicals. I was in the stand for 10 min on the Sunday of first gun season a nice 8 trotted right under my stand. I stopped him ten yards from my tree. Pretty extreme downward shot and didn't take into account how close he was and caught the spine. My thought was that even if I hit the spine the deer will drop in his tracks. Not so, I shoot a 300+ Fps matthews and that arrow hit the spine penitrated about 3 inches and stopped. No blood, no hair just the sight of a nice buck running down the hill with 27" of Easton A/C/C sticking out. Now I am left wondering what if I would have still been using my Muzzys. My first deer I have not recovered. My opinion is that if you look at the tip it is not sharp at all, I would go so far as to say it is rounded. "I'm sorry girls (90 grain Muzzys) I will never leave you again."

This was my first year bow hunting and I went with expandables, for the sole reason of not being able to sight in with fixed blades. I went with tekan II's and was very satisfied. Blades opened perfectly on impact and the doe only went 40 yards. One thing I figured out is when I took them out of the package and tried opening up the blades they were a little hard to open. So I locked them in and took them out and locked them in and took them out until the loosened up a bit. I think this is key with rear deploying broadheads, open and close them a few times. Also when I would put them in my quiver they seemed to open up so when I would get to my stand I would take all 3 out and close them back up and put them at my side.

Over the years of my bowhunting I have tried many of the new latest greatest items that have come and gone. It now takes alot for me to switch from what I'm using for something new that is somewhat untested.

I'm probably one of a very small percentage out archery hunting that uses a pendulum sight for hunting whitetail in the woods or for short range shots. I love the sight.

Now, my Muzzies I have used for years and they have never failed me once. I have trieds other mechinal heads and always found something I didnt klike about them usually a failure somewhere.

Rage broadheads, after watching fellow archers using them this fall and with all the success they have had and with the exit hole they give one, the blood trail is pretty awesome. I realize one can have a bad hit, but a shoulder hit is a shoulder and that isnt really the fault of the head but the archer not taking a good enough of a shot or one just makes a bad shot.

Given that I miss place my shot and shot a little high on the body, that Rage is going to leave a nicer blood trail with the gaping hole it leaves. To me, its worth a try to see what kid of results I get. Usually if a archers hits a deer in the boiler rom, it really doesnt matter what type head one is using as a good hit in that area will down the deer. Heck a field tip in the boilerroom will do the job. Now, as we all know all of us will make that less than perfect shot every so often and thats where the broadhead will make some difference.

Here is another FIRST HAND shooter of the 3 blade head. Last year I also had a nice 8 and took a broadside shot at 20 yards and hit a little forward. The head penitrated about 4 inches but when I found the arrow the blades were broke off completly so as far as I'm concerend I will stick with my newest change the slick trick! Man that is a sharp head.

This year I switched to the 2 blade rage. I shot 5 does and one buck. All of the shots were right behind the shoulder. None of the does made it past 40 yards and the buck did not make it 100.

The impressive part was that with 4 of the deer I could see blood coming out of the entry wound by the second hop of the deer. Blood trails were no problem to follow although it was only necessary on the buck.

I am impressed with the broadhead. If you hit the shoulder with any head you are going to have a problem. But I would much rather have the 2inch cut vs. 7/8th inch cut if I am a little too far back.

I will keep shooting them even though they are $12 a pop.

I know there is a lot of gossip. However I have two close friends who had first hand experience with defective Rage broadheads. The company admitted they had a defect but did nothing to make up for it. I'm sure they are great and work MOST of the time. But why risk it. I will never use a mecanical blade regardless of the make period.

I thought about giving them a try and read ALOT of reviews about them online. I just cant afford to buy all kinds of heads at $30 a pop so I want to be sure of the head I am buying. 80% were good reviews and those that werent talked about blades opening in the quiver and blades opening before striking the animal. Never any problems with blades not opening. I was looking at a mechanical for the field point accuracy but the 20% scared me. I went with a Magnus Stinger and it flies just like my field points, sometimes I think even better if thats possible therefore giving me great confidence. SO I figured I have field point accuracy with both, why not go with the one were there are no concerns, the Magnus. I want to be 100% confident in what I am shooting, and I have that now.

I do not think any head out there leaves a hole like the rage however and on a marginal shot, that could be very helpful.

This is all very interesting. Personally, I've just heard other people's comments as third hand as well, and not favoring the rage.

I have a question though. I used to shoot a Matthew's Ultralight with 100gr 3 blade Muzzy's on XX78 aluminum shafts (don't remember the number)and it was pretty accurate until the cable gaurd came loose again. I upgraded to an LX and A/C/C 's a few years ago and retained the Muzzy's. Later I added Spitfire expandables.

I practiced with the Muzzy's on the aluminum shaft but not the A/C/C's, just assuming it would all be the same. Well, I had a shot with the Muzzy "sail" over the back of a buck last year. I couldn't explain it any other way. I couldn't point to any branch that would have caused a deflection. The spitfire (100gr also) have stayed true.

I practiced this year with a field point, Muzzy, and Spitfire in the quiver at the same time, nocked in different succession each round. About every 4th or 5th shot with the Muzzy, it "sailed" on me again, hitting the target high in the back. The field point or Spitfire were never off.

What could cause this? Anybody experience something similar? Maybe I should have started a new post....This is longer than I expected.

I now shoot a Bowtech Guardian.With my PSE the Muzzy's shot alright. I shot Thunderheads before the Muzzy's and they shot good, but with the Bowtech they shoot high and to the right.I may have to find a better flying broadhead, and will probably try the Slick tricks.

Many people must really like the 2 blade as I have been in three bigger sporting goods store an everyone was out of the 2 blade heads.

I have also shot a lot of different heads over the years and many of them have been mechanical. I have found that the mechanical heads fly a lot better and I have never had a problem with them.

Last year I started shooting the Rage 2 blade and have been vary pleased with the results. I have shot a total of four with this head and none of them have went more than 30 yards. Each time I could see blood almost immediately and could see the huge hole. I shot this buck at Ripley on the 1st weekend this year with the Rage 2 blade. The arrow entered the deer the last rib back and exited the front shoulder. This buck was 197 pounds and the arrow still stuck into the ground about 3 inches. I shoot 70 pounds with my Mathews and have a 28 inch draw.

Until I find something that works better I will be holding onto the Rage 2 blade.

DSC00218.jpg

I've been shooting Slick Tricks for 4 years and I can say that for my setup, they group as well if not better than my field points. I wouldn't change them if someone paid me. Just shot an AZ bull elk in Nov. and broke a rib on the entrance and was sticking out another rib on the exit...I don't need any more proof. That was with the 100 grain.

I dont shoot them, but Im curious as to why you arnt a fan of them troutmaster? Your the first person I've heard say anything real negative about them.

Quote:

I dont shoot them, but Im curious as to why you arnt a fan of them troutmaster? Your the first person I've heard say anything real negative about them.

Then you have'nt read many of the posts on here!