Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dufek

Where is Frontenac Pond located?

3 posts in this topic

Where is Frontenac Pond located? i have been doing alot of searching lately but that name has not come up yet... Thanks..Matt

The town of Frontenac is between Red Wing and Lake City on Hwy 61. There is a pond just to the NE of that town (a few blocks) which is the one you are asking about.

Map

I grew up right on the bank of Frontenac Pond. (The official name I've seen on maps is Pleasant Valley Lakelet, but I've never heard anyone actually call it that.)

You can access it by taking Goodhue County Rd 2 north out of Frontenac or highway 61 southeast of town. Right at the bottom of the hill on #2 is an access road where you can get a vehicle out there when the ice is safe enough. The 61 access is down a steeper, bigger hill and no one uses it during the winter, except snowmobiles.

There usually gets to be quite a village of ice shacks out there each winter, and the Frontenac Sportsman's Club has a small-time annual fishing contest there, usually the second weekend of February.

The biggest fish I've ever heard of coming out of there was a 14lb Northern. I once (1983?) caught an 18" Largemouth, and a buddy caught about a 14" crappie. Many species of fish can be caught in there and there are plenty of rough fish as well, along with dink sunnies and gills. Max depth is about 6-7 feet.

I've been living elsewhere for years now and don't talk to people in Frontenac often anymore, so I've lost track of how the fishing has been there recently. It's always been worth a shot though.