Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nollid

My money winning pike from last year. (pic.)

4 posts in this topic

I finally made an account and figured out how to post a picture so here it is. We all put in a pretty good chunk of change which goes to the biggest fish. Well, my dad caught a dang nice pike (I don't remember exactly how big, but somewhere around 8 pounds+/-) So he was pretty confidant the $ was his. Then I'm jigging a spoon using my dads Vexilar when I noticed a big mark submerged about half way off the bottom. I reeled up to it and SMACK! Good thing I had Spiderwire on. After a long fight I pulled a 14 pound pike out of the hole. Awesome experience and a big money winner!

How common is it to catch big pike jigging? We were fishing out of Morris Point.

[image]n1176900066_5415_8646-1.jpg[/image]

Whoa! That's freaky, I caught one last winter right outside the gap that was 14 lbs too. It also had a mark on the rear of the fish just like yours. Hmmm???

Those red spots where from lamprey eels. She had 2 of them stuck on her when we pulled her out of the ice. Knocked them off for the picture.

yepper, that be the lamprey hicky.

nasty little guys them lampreys.

It's not uncommon at all to hook into a big pike like that, more common I think or at least in my experience if you are fishing a reef.

big sturgeon through the ice is a more uncommon, but it happens too.