• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Powers Lake (Woodbury)

tip_upclyma

Has anyone got an ice report for Powers yet? I went out there this summer in a canoe and had pretty good luck....so I have been waiting for the "Hard Water" so I can really attack that lake....any reports? Thanks!

No, but I'd love to hear some.

All we found in Powers on a single trip last year were 4" perch.

I went there in the summer and one of

the Dudes I was fishing with

caught a nice size Norty.

So i'd amagine that there are some

others in there. Being a smaller lake

my guess is that it would be locked up by now.

Most of it was still open when I drove past it last Friday, but I haven't been by it since then. I was surprised that it was still open since it isn't very big. And Max, I think 4" perch is being generous... grin.gif

I would be very careful going onto Powers Lake. I drove by last night around 7PM and there were 2 fire trucks and some police cars with flood lights on the ice. It looked like somebody went through the ice and they were doing a search. The location was right at the public fishing dock. I never saw anything on the news. I drove by about 8:30PM and they were still out there with the lights. Just a warning to check the ice carefully before going on.

bad news there, i was hoping to hit powers this weekend. i havent had a lot of luck on the hard water there but ive seen some others pull some decent notherns out of there. the perch are small though. a couple decent sunnies.

Chances are Fire and Rescue practice. I would have heard something about this in news. This time of year local fire departments practice thin ice rescue. Police are their some time also.

Didn’t a higher up at DNR live on Powers in the past or still does? I heard that is a plus for fishing.

Quote:

Chances are Fire and Rescue practice. I would have heard something about this in news. This time of year local fire departments practice thin ice rescue. Police are their some time also.

Didn’t a higher up at DNR live on Powers in the past or still does? I heard that is a plus for fishing.

I agree with them just "practicing" since there was nothing in the news. Plus, when I was out there fishing this summer they were doing some drills thenm also. My buddy locked onto a 10+ lb. Northern out there this summer. He also caught a 5 lb Bucketmouth. A guy fishing the shoreline yelled out asking if we had gotten any waldos yet. He stated that there are some good waldos in there. I think I am going to swing over to this lake after work tonight and see what is going on.

You guys could be right about them practicing since there is a fire department about 50 yards away from the lake. I guess I didn't think about that possibility.

Don't be surprised by open water. The lake is surprisingly deep for it's size. There's holes over 20 feet deep in the lake. My suggestion would be to try the drop off on the north end. I've caught northerns up to 9 pounds off the drop off. Lots of perch in there too, but majority in the 6 inch and smaller range. hope this helps.

if anyone gets out to check this lake out before saturday let us know how its looking. ive heard of all those fish types being in there. i have caught a few largemouth from shore in summer.

I haven't fished the lake in a couple years, but there is some good tip up action in and around the north end of the lake. I believe the lake actually has a max depth around 40 feet. There is an old Powers Lake post, in fact you may have to go back a few years, but there was a lot of good info in that post.

Twas Papa Johns. On 61 my white Bear township Office. Had this coupon for two extra large "The works" pizza's for $19.00. If you do get a pizza from John's make it the works, always seems to taste better... There were two more portables on the lake as I drove home from work yest aft. Wondering how the fishing was?? Ice thickness I was told was 5-6 inches in the small bays. hope to get out to the north bay this weekend. Weather looks great for making ice. My fingers are crossed!! smile.gif

Quote:

if anyone gets out to check this lake out before saturday let us know how its looking. ive heard of all those fish types being in there. i have caught a few largemouth from shore in summer.

OK, I made it out to Powers after work last night. I walked about 15 feet out and drilled a hole. There was about 3-4" of slushy snow...and only about 2" of ice. That was on about 3' of water. I can't see this lake being safe by the weekend. I did however find another lake where I yanked out two Northerns and a 13" Crappie! This spot is my secret for now hehehehehehehe grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Darter would it be possible to use your heater tonite? Have to fix that Dang copper propane line before I'm able to use mine. Call me to arrange plans, meeting you two? Getting picked up? what to bring? etc.

No Problem. By the way, you can pick up that copper tubing for your sunflower at any bait shop for a couple bucks. Takes like two minutes to replace. Give me a call when you can.

anyone that's going out sometime after this weekend, let me know. I'd be willing to go down there with you and fish with ya!

I don't know the ice conditions, but many people have been seen fishing on BC.

4 - 5" solid inches out on Powers. Checked at lunch today... Went out 15 yards from shore, which actually takes you in about 10 feet of water...and there was 5.5" of good ice. Not sure what the middle of the lake is like... but the ice near shore was really solid and the lake looks great for some tipup "fishing". "Catching"...could be a different story.

But, its a good lake to start the year. You're at least guaranteed 5" perch all day long.

Two of us will be out tomorrow morning along the north and northeast shore...tipup fishing.

Come say hi and have a beer if you're out...

in all likelihood, ill be out sunday afternoon. if the wife doesnt mind, ill prolly hit powers then bc after for a double dose. who knows maybe shell join. tomorrow we are making gingerbread houses with my daughter and niece and sister. but not until after i hit up gander and buy myself some xmas gifts (i.e. new ul ice rod, line, jiggin spoons, some bobbers, and im gonna look at some flashers, but i probably wont buy that just yet.) maybe ill see one of you se metro guys on one of those lakes sun. good fishing tomorrow tj, let us know how it goes.

I heard there was an ATV and a few portables on BC today. If you had out there could you post the ice conditions? Also, watch out for the area by the aerator.

I'll be out on Powers tomorrow in the morning (whenever I wake up) and have out my little 1-man shelter with a tip-up close by. If anyone wants to stop by and say hi, feel free. Good luck.

if you see an old clam jr. and a small otter sled that will be me in the green columbia coat, and possibly the wife. probably wont be out til early afternoon though.

I was out there Saturday and the ice was only 3". The fishing was poor and a bit risky. Gave it a try for a few hours anyway and only one flag, but that was it.