Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MMS3rd

Ice house rentals?

13 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend any resorts that offer ice houses either to stay in or as part of a cabin/room package? (for fishing not just sleeping in case you thought I was nuts . My son has never had the pleasure of spending a day/night on the ice and I would like to bring him up at the end of the month. Thanks.

Mike

Where are you looking at and what lake?

Tim at Highbanks resort on Fish Lake just north of Duluth can rent you a cabin and ice house at a nice price.

218-721-3355

Tel him Northlander sent ya. wink.gif

Am looking in Ely area mostly. I've fished a lot of different lakes there in the summers and fished Bear Island once in winter...that's it. I'll check out Highbanks. Looking for walleyes and northerns, panfish not so much. Thanks

Another great option is Lake of the Woods. There are a bunch of places that rent sleepers or day houses and the fishing can be fantastic. I looked a few years ago and there wasn't much for fish house rentals in Ely. I rented one from Smitty's on Snowbank about 7 yrs ago but it wasn't a sleeper. Tried for lakers but had no luck.

We did Waskish Minnow station on Red Lake last year and had a great time. The houses were very roomy and we cought fish. My wife even had a good time, which for that to happen the houses have to be nice. I would recomend Red, you will catch fish!!

completely agree with Highbanks, that is the place to go. catch eyes early and late and nice perch in between. the bonus is some of the biggest pout i have caught in the state. And the resort owners are great.

Northlander, I second ya. The last 8x8 house we built before our current 8x12 we gave to Tim. Hope he's still getting good use out of it. grin.gif

SFboy the Highbanks I talk of is on Fish Lake, no pout there.

Are you talking about Highbanks on Winni?

yeah, i was talking about winni. i love that lake. wish i was closer to it. given a choice between there and mille lacs, i would choose winni every time. although, if you hit the right spot on mille lacs in march, the perch are ALOT bigger. i had my dad up there three years ago and we couldnt believe the size of the perch we were on. it was absolutely amazing. havent been able to duplicate that since.

Hey SFBOY! If you are ever heading to Winnie let me know. I can usually drop everything for a trip over there.

JP

Jeff, I cant believe you guys never fish that lake. its less than an hour and half away and the early fishing for eyes can be just fantastic and there so many perch to catch as well. not sure when i would be up there again, but i am always up for a trip over there.

Ted - you know how the big guy is. If it isn't LOW or the local chain he won't go. I think I'll call my neighbor to see if he wants to go next week.

JP

Jeff, it is always easier when someone finds the fish and then puts you on them. If I lived on the lake where the cabin is, I would be able to catch a few walleyes from time to time but I would be catching lots of big blue gills and big crappies. The quality of the crappies that I was catching last summer was almost up there with Red. I would think they would be hanging off those deep weed edges and could be had. It just takes time to find them. One location that I would definitely try under lower light conditions would be the channel between the Island and Rudstroms, kinda out from that old boat house. It gets pretty deep there and comes up fast towards the boathouse where the weeds are. They have to be hanging out there. They also have to be where I was catching them last summer. The food is in the weeds and they have to go where the food is.