• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Bear Lake Ice

As of Sunday, it was still iffy for any depth, with this snow it may be another week before you can reach any distance to fish.

Drove by tonight on my way to snag a Pizza pie. Saw two houses in front of the VFW/Tally's area, not sure about the north bay but looks a lil bit more locked up south of the Island. This weekend could be a possibility.

Can't wait EH! laugh.gif

TDOT-

Where did you get the pizza pie? Just wondering. I live in WBL by Century College and don't want to miss out on a good pizza spot. Mmmm..pizza... smirk.gif

Huey

Ps I saw also 2 portables out from the VFW and 1 crazy guy walking East down the middle of the lake about 1/4 from the VFW.

I bet it was Roadhouse Pizza. They have a good by the slice lunch deal and the pie is tasty. Went by the Ramsey beach area and not a house in sight

Drove by last night and there were shacks out from Ramsey, the vfw and bellaire. Haven't heard any thicknesses though. I'm going out on monday to bald eagle. Their were quite a few shacks out there too.

We have been out a few times now. Went out again today, Perch and 3 small Norhern. The perch were tiny, but the WB isn't known for good size Perch. Lame everytime I have been out. No walleye on the Under Water Cam. Havn't heard of any coming out yet frown.gif When the ice freezes up more we can get in our regular Walldo spots!! Can't wait!!

Oh, I forgot to mention the thickness of the ice. 4-6 inches of ice 10-14' depths. good ice! Try to stay away from the deeper water for now, ice is still iffy, and watch out for the springs. This is the time of the year when they are in shallow anyway.

Hey guys, three questions.....where is the VFW? Where are the public accesses located? I know of the one at the county park and beach, but where are the other ones? Also, is WBL a shiner or sucker lake for bait choice? I target walleyes on WBL.

Thanks.

GoggleEye

The VFW is on 61 at the closest area to the lake just before you get to downtown WBL. You can park in the shopping area and hit the ice there.

Ramsey Beach is public access, as is the City ramp by the island. Go down 7th street towards the lake from 61.

Belle Aire is on south side of lake.

Not sure of any more, but I think there is access from Mahtomedi, just not sure where.

We put our perm house out from Ramsey Beach in the town that forms there, and move it around a bit. We don't do great, but its fun.

Good luck!

Nope, we need to wait for my buddy's sled to get here first smile.gif He is having some carb work done in it. If you were out there last year, we nicknamed our shack the "Red Cross Shelter" wink.gif

White 6x9 with big Red + on each side, looks like a big Christmas present, ha! Can't miss it. I see there are some out there already, but we aren't going to pull it by hand, and none of us were able to talk the other guys into taking trucks out yet wink.gif We are dumb but not that dumb smile.gif

There is perms already on the lake? which side and how much ice are you guys seeing out there?

There is usually at least one of us (4 neighbors) out just about every night, so stop by and say hi. If they are grumpy it isn't me wink.gif it is a guy named Bobcat Mike! ha! Tell him Box said you could raid the cooler wink.gif

A typical night would be a handful to a dozen crappies, a bunch of tiny perch, maybe a northern and we did manage a few decent walleyes over last season, but not every night. Some of the folks out there have been there for years and I think might have their spots nailed, as they seem to be in same spot. It feels kinda like the Grumpy Old Men ice shanty town smile.gif

BTW - I haven't been out there yet, so not sure how much ice is there.

Well boys I will be joining the great ice up this evening after work, auger started on the 5th pull yesterday! Hope its just the beginning of things to come. Now I weigh 315 so I am hoping there is enough ice for my big....boots out there. Has any one been out by Ramsey Beach on the Northwest corner? Or am I looking at the VFW side? I am not as familiar over there but if that’s where its safe I will be happy to give it a shot. Also wondering about bait and colors? I have done well on small green with larva and black rattle spoons with crappie minnows or chubs but it is a new year wondering what has been working. Hope to run into some of you out there tonight, I will be wearing a black snowmobile jacket and black bibs, not sure if my friend is going to have his green portable out or not. Good luck on the ice!!!!

Ice is nice!!!

Thanks for the hospitality box! I will look for your perm ou there and stop by to see if anybody is home. Hopefully it's not bobcat Mike! I don't know much about WBL, but hopefully I can track some of those big eyes down this winter. Good luck to ya this year.

GoggleEye

Heading out to the GREAT WHITE BEAR tonight. I fished by the VFW twice last week in the evening. 4 small snakes and a nice crappie. Going to try some different depths tonight. Hopefully with the warmer weather I will be a little more mobile. Might even try the ice in the other bay.

Hey Darter and TDOT...i am gonna head out of work here in a minute and check the ice by the north-west launch where we fished last year. If the ice is ok, which i think it will be...i will be in a couple of our old waldo spots...see you guys out there!

Tip up.. if you head out there let me know how much ice you find and if there is a good amount of portables out there.. Thanks

Went out last night with one sunfish to show for it, not the best time out but better than watching T.V. Didn't get skunked but had fish come look but nothing wanted to bite. Anyone having any luck out there? If you are worried about spilling the beans my email is in my profile. I haven't ever fished by the VFW I am usually on other parts of the lake. Found any where from 10 inches down to 4/5 inches of ice. I was a little supprised that in a 150 yards the ice varied that much, must have been close to some springs. Good Luck out there!

Heading out tonight to WBL or bald eagle.. If anyone wants to head out tonight with me let me know..

LuckyNorm...went out by the North-west beach launch last night. There were about four portables WAY out there! So I was thinking "sweet! ice is good!" So I just walked out following their path. I used my GPS and found a nice little 16 FOW. When I drilled my hole I was shocked at what I saw! About 2 1/2 inches of clear ice, covered by about 2 inches of frozen slush. And the guys I followed were another 200 yards out there! Marked a lot of fish but not one bite. Be careful if you go out there....i am going to stick to the VFW ice for now.

alright thanks for the heads up!! that is what i was looking for.. i was going to be heading out in that area too!

I was on the Bear last night & had 6" of clear ice everwhere I drilled a ways out from Bellaire, it was covered with 1-3" of bad ice. Wish the fishing was as good as the ice.

was out of bellair today, walked about halfway across the lake, at least 6" of good ice way out there, 10 inches towards shore.Some guys were thinking about driving out there....DONT DO IT MAN!!!

By the way, the wind was nuts today, couldnt get the portable up, stuck around a half hour with nothin doin...good luck to all