• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tires

DRH1175

Question

Looking for good AT tires. Been looking at the Mich. LTX, Any other tires that are just as good for less money? It is for a Durrango and I am looking for the best overall tire out there. I had the Goodyear RTS that came with it.

26 answers to this question

I had Destination LE A/T's on my Tahoe before going to the Mich. LTX. They were a decent tire, and cheaper.

Far superior. I've got 40k on the LTX already, and they still have like new tread. I have heard rumors of the LTX going 100k, and I'll put them to the test for sure.

I'm not kind on my tires either. Dirt road driving, boat trailer pulling, long road trips, etc.

I will definitely buy again when the time comes.

Quote:

Far superior. I've got 40k on the LTX already, and they still have like new tread. I have heard rumors of the LTX going 100k, and I'll put them to the test for sure.

I'm not kind on my tires either. Dirt road driving, boat trailer pulling, long road trips, etc.

I will definitely buy again when the time comes.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit that my LTX will go to 100k miles. Must be about 70k by now and still lots of tread left.

Sounds like the Tread life is excellent with the LTX. I have about 52K on the Goodyear RTS there is still tread but at about 40k they started to pull. I had the alignment checked and it was find. They told me it was cause they were breaking down. I want a tire that will not break down before the tread is gone. How about traction like on the lake in the winter or in mud on the hunting roads? And on days like today driving around town when it is snowing? If this is the best tire on the market I will deffinitly pay the premium price.

Another vote for the LTX. When I had an Explorer I switched from Goodyear to the LTXs. Went from a truck ride to a car ride. Comparable in the snow, but got better treadlife in the Michelins.

Buddy did the same thing on his SportTrac and he couldn't believe the difference either.

Currently have the Michelin CrossTerrains on my 4Runner and I recommend them as well if they fit for a Durango.

DB

DRH - do a google for "tirerack" and check out their site. If you click on Products ==> Tires ==> Survey Results, there is some great info from thousands of reviews.

The Michelins are very good tires, and there is some good info on other tire options there too.

Good luck.

I'm really impressed with how my Bridgestone Dueler Revos have handled the first two rounds of snow.

If money is no object, I would go with the Mich. LTX. Look for the extra perks or rebates (I.E. free rotation for life of tire, Nitrogen and mounting and balancing). Also you can use a meat and beat, if you are willing to call around and price shop. All you need is a fax machine or printer for internet.

DTRO,

I also have heard good things about Bridgestone Dueler Revos. It was just because of dealers I worked not caring them (Due to the Ford/Firestone deal), I have not had much first hand info come my way.

Good luck!

Quote:

Looking for good AT tires.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

I've said it many times before, somebody is going to have to pay me, or give me good tires for free, before something else goes on my truck.

You pay for them and they are worth every single penny.

Funny thing is, I just logged in to start a post about tires, and there it is, right on top. I am looking for tires for a f-150. I have a big wheel house and the tread on my tires is getting low. It has the goodyear RTS. Looking for something economical yet with good traction in the snow. Ideas?? Rough cost?? 17 inch tires

Just put Goodyear SilentArmor tires on my F-250. smile.gif

Great TRACTION and quiet.

Much better than the O.E. tires the truck came with.

I will put them on again..

The BFG All Terrain T/A KO are by far the toughest and best traction all terrain tire out there. If you truely use your SUV off road for hunting and ice fishing, you should definetly have the BFG. Yes you pay for them, and no they will not get the mileage that a Michelin will. However, if you actually talk to a Michelin, BFG, Uniroyal salesman, he should be able to tell you all the features and benifits of the BGF AT KO over any other brand. Michelin, BFG, and Uniroyal are all owned by MAST (Michelin Americas Small Tire) so you can be sure the quality is there. Also, keep in mind, tires, no matter what brand, that are sold by Sears or Sam's Club/Walmart are not built to the same specs as those sold by company dealers. That is also why at the 3 fore mentioned retailers are cheaper.

So how much are we talking for the BFs, 200 a tire?? How much for the bridgestone revos??? 265 R17s

Quote:

So how much are we talking for the BFs, 200 a tire??

About that. I put 285s on my truck which are a bit oversized and I think they are running $180 (?) per tire. Add in valve stems, mount & balance, disposal, etc and you are looking at well over $800 for all corners.

Yup, about that. The LTX would come in about 230. The big difference between the LTX and the BFG is the traction. The BFG has way better traction than the LTX. The LTX will likely last an extra 15,000 to 20,000 miles over the BFG. But if you need a tough all terrain tire with exceptional traction, get the BFG. The BFG AT TA KO is the what all other all terrain tires are trying to keep up with.

I will put in another plug for the BFG's. I put 285/70R17's on my '04 Sierra. They are a little big for it but they are great tires. I got them off of 4wheelparts.com when they were offering free shipping. They were $195 each, worth every penny. If you have smaller rims and/or are looking for a smaller tire they will probably be a little cheaper.

Have you looked into Yokohama tires? I don't know how aggressive you want the tread on a Durango, but I have had two different sets of them and have LOVED them. I currently have the Yokohama Geolandar HTS tires on my Explorer. They aren't terribly aggressive, they have a fabulous ride, and they are fantastic in the snow and ice. I had the Geolandar ATS tires on my Chevy truck, and loved them too. They were a bit more aggressive and worked great on the highway, in the mud/dirt as well as in the snow. They were a little noisier than the HTS tires, though. The biggest upside...they are significantly cheaper than the Michelins, yet work just as well!!!

Just my two cents....

A little FYI!

Michelin owns Bf Goodrich, which in turn owns Uniroyal. How it goes, is Michelin is the high end product, BFG is right in the middle and Uniroyal is the company’s economy tire series. A little over a year ago, I took an in depth training course threw Michelin and learned a ton about this company. I became Michelin certified and even got a diploma.

I learned the major benefits of Michelin, do out way much of their product line and other manufactures. The testing, inspection process and even the rating system they have in place is far superior to any on else. Now the drop side of this is the cost of the tire. I am running 2 set of BFG's right now on some of my cars/trucks. I liked the price and when you take care of them, they last along time. For a good priced BFG of a given size around $185, you are going to pay around or at least (just for conversation) about $100 more per tire. Some cases (model of tire) even more. Michelin is a high end tire. Comparing BFG to Michelin is like comparing apples to oranges.

If you have the extra $300-$500, I would go with Michelin, if not I would go with BFG and then Uniroyal.

Now the Goodyear Silent Armor. This tire was changing the tire industry. Goodyear was impregnating/layering Kevlar into tread and side walls (the same stuff in bullet proof vests). In the 2005, 2006 and 2007 F-150’s, they had a very sensitive front end and other tires (minus Michelin) where causing front end shakes at hwy speeds (they switched to a rack and pinion front end, like a car front end). What I would do for these customers is up sell them a set of Silent Armors to cure this concern. I would have customer road force balance tire (match tire roundness to rim roundness) and align front end. Also filling tires with nitrogen also helped this concern. It was like a 3 or 4 step process to subside this concern with the F-150’s. But, I thought I had heard last spring they where having issue with the Silent Armor.

Goodyear, Bridgestone-Firestone and Michelin-BF Goodrich.

These are the "Big" three. Most times when you are talking about one given tire product line, one of these companies made that tire, but put another name on that tire.

BFG All Terrain TA/KO!!!! I had them on my 1997 Chev truck and the things were great. This summer I got a 2004 Chev truck and the off-brand tires on it were decent and a lot of people probably wouldn't have changed them but I got new BFGs before the snow flied...and I'm somewhat tight with my money...but I just know how good they are! This past weekend when I was out on the road and in the public access at chisago I thought I was driving my buddies ATV they are that good! I paid 800 bucks at fred's tire in F.L....I had a coupon that got me about $75 off. From experience these tires last a long time as well. You pay more, but you get your moneys worth....I think.

Another testimonial to the BFG AT/KOs. Just polished off a set of 315/70/17s (~34.5") after 60k on my 2003 Dodge Ram. I would have bought them again but found a great deal on some MT tires (Mickey Thompson MTZ, same size) which are surprizing quiet so far and grippy as heck. I'll be lucky to get 40k out of them though! smirk.gif

Quote:

I took an in depth training course threw Michelin and learned a ton about this company. I became Michelin certified and even got a diploma.

Yup, I did all that a couple years ago, took all their online courses, they sent me to S. Carolina for their Retail Managers Training Course. Got more paper from that company than I know what to do with. They sure do make sure that their salesmen have a solid knowledge of their products. But that is only one reason I push the BFG's so much. I have put them on all my trucks since they introduced the BFG AT TA KO. There will be no other tire for me!

Ah! A fellow Michelin certified guy.

The dealership I was at bought like a $140,000 plus inventory of their product lines. They flew a guy in for the Managers Training Course. I did not get a Vac.! grin.gif

Going out there was a blast! The company I worked for is a T3 dealer so T3 paid my way out and back and my motel room while I was there. They also furnished 1 meal a day. There might have been a beer or two consumed in the evenings with some of the other fellows that were there. grin.gif

Well got the go ahead from the wife. I wanted the new Mich. ltx at2s but sounds like they are hard to get. For a AT tire would you go with the Revos, good year silent armor or the regular ltx m/s if it were your truck. My RTS on my durrango have seperated tread that is getting down right scary.