• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Bass Clubs in SW Minnesota?

Where abouts are you in SW Minnesota. I live in Brewster, or 6 miles from Worthington. For me to get into some good bass fishing, I travel to Okaboji Iowa, and fish the canals or the bays for bass, or you would most likely be best to drive up to Alexandria and there you have many options. I prefer Ida.

I by no means am a bass fisherman, but those I know who are, use those two options around here. I hope that helps, that is as much about bass fishing as you can get from me. They are a blast to catch, but I guess, walleye, perch and crappie get my attention a bit more. I have had some real good days trying for my favorite three and ending up catching great small mouth on Okaboji and we caught a lot of them. Large mouth under the docks and they are fun fighters off the topwater. Same at Ida in Alex.

Not sure if that helps or not. The guys in the Alexandria forum would be able to help you. I know there are lakes near Mankato too, but I am not as familiar with the ones you would want to target.

Plus I suck with a baitcaster... Well I don't suck at making rats nests, I am REALLY good at that.

Post your que on south central minn forum. A guy I work with is real big in bass tournaments. He runs by pascooter. You can get alot of info from him. Hope this helps you out.

hey i grew up in Round Lake and i did a little bass fishing and did alright i used to catch a few off the grade in worthington and i cought a crap full of big bass on big Spirt in iowa there are decent bass within an hour of worthington you just need to do your homework

I'm not sure about BASS clubs, I honestly do not think there are any. Having said that, I've caught some dandies on Big Stone Lake.

Yes, you can catch some bass off of mudhole bay in Worthington, but I guess I would say that by the sounds of it, you are more of the "in a boat" type fisherman. The grade and mudhole bay are great for a canoe or shore fishing.

I believe the closest you are going to find any bass clubs around SW MN, is Willmar. Whereabouts in SW MN are you at?

i am a boat fisherman, just bought a new one so i can guide in summer instead of just the winter,

new ulm has a bass club, and its bass affiliated , but if its money tourneys there is a few out there, need more info just let me know.

Thanks all. I'm in the Windom area.

I need to explore the circuit availability up here. In Texas, BASS and FLW were the premiere circuits with a stringent qualifying process - I like this approach.

I sold my Skeeter zx202c when I moved up here with the intent to eventually go Ranger for registration preference, bonus monies, etc. One catch is that in most of the upper BASS cicuits, original ownership and age of your boat is an issue. It would be premature for me to invest in a qualifying rig at this point. The reality is that I wouldn't be very competitive right now as I'm basically two dimensional (largemouths and spots) and need to do my homework up here on the smallmouths, lake conditions, structure, tidal waters, techniques, etc. Like most hardcore tournament bass guys, I really enjoy fishing and thrive on the competitive aspects. "In fact, I betcha I can pitch my jig, from my boat to yours in rolling 6' swells, into your dixie coffee more times that you can in mine!" Oops, see what I mean...

I'll probably look to catch a back-seat and get some experience. The plan is to join a local club and compete until you reach a certain comfort level to take the next step. Down south, the back-seat etiquette is to split the truck/boat gas and the back seat buys breakfast and supper (sometimes we fish for the latter). Does that work up here?

Thanks for all the replies...

ins- there are a bunch of different clubs all across the state... we have both a FLW and BASS clubs in MN as well... mnbass.org for the FLW club page

Otherwise you can also contact the local MN B.A.S.S pres and ask him about [email protected]

I forgot a technique question:

I thought penetrating jigs thru the summer matted hydrilla was tough. How do you guys penetrate the "hard water"? Yesterday, every time I pitched my jig out there - it just went thump! I also can't see how you detect a bite in 6 degrees with a -10 winchill. You know, I watched that top-water jig for fifteen minutes until it finally got covered with snow - I never got a bite. Kinda weird though when guys went walking by my bait dragging a sled and shaking their heads from side to side - no common courtesy. Hmmm...

Yak,

Welcome to Minnesota and FM. Yep, bass fishing in the winter really only exists in the form of talk. You're more than welcome to initiate some in the Bass Forum, as I see you have.

Deitz's advice on where to find clubs is spot on.

I've never fished the SW part of the state. I always thought of it as a bass desert. Let us know if you find an oasis down there. Take Boilerguy with you. He needs some bass education.

Hey, hey, hey now.....This may come as a surprise to you, but I'm a lifetime member of BASS. Got the ring and everything. smile.gif That's one perk about being in the Navy, (Which I was, a few years ago) when you arn't out to sea keeping shipping lanes open and protecting our way of life, you get to fish in Florida, Georgia, N. Carolina, and Virginia.

There are some bass lakes around the prairire, few and far between, but they do exist.

Quote:

How do you guys penetrate the "hard water"?

Use a heavier jig. grin.gif

There are also BASS Clubs in the Sioux Falls, SD area, that wouldnt be too far away from you in Windom.

I spaced this earlier, but for bass near the Windom area you may want to give Mountian Lake a try. I've caught decent bass from there in the past. And, right outside of Windom is Fish Lake. In 2003 the DNR stocked 8448 Smallmouth fingerlings in that lake.

I belong to the Sowthwest Minnesota basscasters and we are based out of Windom, Mn.. We are just a small club and are't BAss OR FLW affiliated, but we have alot of fun!!! Also on that notw.. we helped with the above aformentioned smallmouth stocking of Fish lake and also biult alot of fishcribs for them.. I live in Benson which is 2'1/2 hrs from Windom and wouldnt mind a new club closer but our group is so much fun i don't think i could ever leave!!

Bassmasher, where does someone get more info on the SW MN bass club? BTW, did you ever get to the river in Lamberton, this year?

Never did make it to the Cottonwood this fall but thats ok..river fishing here was Phenomenal!! landed my biggest walleye ever right at 11 lbs grin.gif..what do you want to know?? i have been a member for the last 5 years.. if you want general information. your best bet is to call Johnson hardware in windom and ask for Reid.. he is an original member and i think they founded in the late 70's..otherwise Id be happy to answer what i can.. gimme a call if ya like...320-266-0481.

TJ aka Basssmasher