Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hondavxr

Who wants to be failin on Phalen?

20 posts in this topic

If the ice is good and any of yalls need a partner to be failin on Phalen shoot me a email hondavxr @ gmail. com. Good luck yalls and stay safe.

I was at the ramp on Phalen on Sunday and the lake was almost all open on the north end. I forgot to look at the south end because so many ducks were landing in front of me. Where were all those ducks during the season? I saw bluebills, red heads and a lot of shovelers. I am surprised at how long it is taking some lakes to freeze. I guess the wind has blown just enough to keep them open and enough ducks and geese are keeping spots open.

I have been trying Phalen for the last few year without any luck. I usually try there two time in early in the season then I go down to Center lake or Bald eagle the rest of the season. I am going out to a little pond over in Saint Paul tommorrow after work to get my ice fishing fix.

I live about two blocks from Phalen, still open all over the place. I wouldn't head out on it for a couple of more weeks. Even then, I never do any good on the lake.

Fishing on Phalen is tough! There is a saddle in the middle that does OK on occasional walleye's but you have to work for them. I know there is fish in there, but I've always had better luck elsewhere.

Did anyone check out to see if Round is ok yet? Was thinking about trying her out.

I would think Round would have measurable ice but with all this snow who really knows. I see a few guys icing Round every year. My understanding is small panfish and perch are the norm. If it connected to Phalen by a channel so I would guess you have a shot at cashing some okay fish if the deeper holes.

I get on Phalen a few times each year. Early ice right out from the boat launch along the weededge and break line you always have a shot at pike, tiger musky, bass or walleye at dusk. I usually hit this area for the most part test out set up my shake, test eveything out, but while testing auger, the vex, camera, house for holes, etc I always have a tip out put out and a line in the whole. Last year while doing this I got a couple 2-3 lb pike that nailed the jigging spoon, saw some panfish, bass, and nice walleye's on the camera and also witnessed a guy pull in 35-40" tiger musky on a tip up and another gentlman pull in a pig walleye. That again was early ice. The other area that I have had success it outside of the beach area. There is a nice drop, some weedy areas, sand, and from what I can tell almost remains of some kind of past brick build up of some kind. One night right at dusk the walleyes came in for about a 20 minute window and were on fire. Again that was early ice and visits after early ice resulted in sunfish and perch. The final spot is out from the fishing pier. Nice drop and Pike and walleye seem to cruze this area. All that being said I would agree with other posters this lake can also be quite a dis-appointment and tough to fish after fisrt ice. The saddle I hear quite abit about but I have been to lazy to hike out there.

Just drove by the lake 1 portable out off the launch.

Yeah I know Phalen is a hit or miss lake but when it does hit , you get surprised. A few years ago, some nights I did good and some nights I will get nothing. We caught a 19" sauger. I didn't even know Phalen had saugers before that. Most of the fish were caught from sun down to late night. One thing is for sure, gas is not cheap and it looks like I will probably be hitting Phalen more often. Let me know when you guys venture out and I will let you guys know when I go there. C-ya

I spent some time out there tonight and the action was fast and furious till half hour after sundown. Pike and eyes!

If it swims in the Mississippi, it swims in Phalen. Private stocking is prevelant.

How much ice was out there?

Walleyecheeks,

where you over by the landing?

Chode, I was on the east side Sunday and looked like 3-4.

I was thinking of heading out on Friday morning out from the landing. Although there's another lake near by that the DNR stocks with wallys every year I was looking at. Has anyone checked out Round?

is that the one next to Phalen along Hwy. 61?

Yep, that's the one.

I was there on Monday. All I caught was northerns, little ones around 15-18". I have caught bigger ones there. Ice was anywhere from 3-6 inches. Marked a lot of little fishes but none will take my waxies, plastics, or minnow. Hey if any of you guys are heading out there this weekend email me, I will come and join you. Its only about 5 mins from my house. hondavxr @ gmail . com. Good luck yalls

honda....you've got mail!!!