• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

frontnac pond

Went to the pond today had plenty of little sunnies around my buddy caught two nice northerns and a 18" bass real healthy looking fish. There was at least 4.5 inches of good ice to bad that snow came but it is still walkable.

• 2 weeks later...

Did either of you use a tip up to catch the pikes and bass or were they on a rod? I don't own a tip up but wouldn't mind buying one to try out for sunday's trip if they are the ticket.

Ryan

You bet tip ups are the way to go you can jig if you want but i mainly use tip ups.

Ice maniac, your werent kidding. Tipups were all over the place. It looked like most people had two tipups going. I had one up and one rod with a crappie minnow on a #4 red hook. The rod look one crappie (the only thing to bite). And with the tip up I used a shiner on a hook. I had two flags but made nothing out of either. Rookie mistakes of not having the right equipment.

One of these two guy might be able to correct me, but I was talking to an old timer out there and he was saying that the deepest it gets is about 7'. Most of it is about 3'.

Ryan

that is correct sir 7 ft is the deepest what i cant believe is the big bass in the pond last year i had my camera down and i seen some pigs no takers of course

Glad to hear you guys are getting a few pike and bass. The deepest spot on the pond is 10 feet.

The pond is very unique, and has a decent number of fish in it. One of the biggest reason that there are some good fish in there is the majority who fish it year round all practice C&R. The pond is not stocked by the DNR, so all fish numbers happen naturally. It also has no deep water, and is relatively small. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but thinking about the future would be greatly appreciated by those who love seeing flags pop up.

In 2 trips to Frontenac pond so far this year I've brought in two northerns that looked like twins, one per visit. Both were 23-24" and about 12" girth.

One bit a 5" sucker minnow on a tip-up and ran fast with it. The next weekend my tip-up was ignored (as were everyone else's from what I could tell) and I got the pike on a crappie minnow on a size 10 Frostee jig and 4lb test. Got about a dozen sunnies/gills including a couple nicer ones, and a few perch too.

All the fish I caught were released happy and healthy. Well, actually I don't know how happy they were, but they were healthy. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering where you guys fish on this pond? Do you just set up by all the shacks? I have never had any luck there so I am just looking for a little insight.

Thanks [email protected] You can e-mail me if you don't want to post in here.

I keep the shacks between me and the shore. My 'spot' this year has been about 60-70 yards from the north shore, almost straight out from where the snowmobile/ski trail comes down the bank to the water.

Caught 13 fish there a week ago Sunday, and the following Wednesday I got skunked on the exact same spot.

No one ever seems to fish over by the woods along the south shore or out in the middle of the eastern end, so I'm going to check those areas next time I go there. If it's not too weedy and more than 2 feet of water I'll give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Are people driving full size trucks out there now? I figure the ice must be pretty safe by now.

Rebeleye

Originally Posted By: Rebeleye
Are people driving full size trucks out there now? I figure the ice must be pretty safe by now.

Rebeleye

Yes they are. Yesterday I saw two trucks and a car parked right next to each other.

16 - 18 inches of ice, pretty safe as long as you don't go four-bying in no mans territory. With this cold spell we should have nothing to worry about for the big contest.