Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris63

Muskies"Eating machines"

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering???How much do you think say a 40 inch Musky consumes in a average week?How many 40 inch plus Muskys/Norskys are "Caught and released"in a years time?Im not asking this to drum up trouble,I just really wonder about this!If a 15 lb Musky eats 5 lbs(1/3 his body weight)in a weeks time.Then say there is 1000 40 inch Musky/nortins in the lake then they eat atleast 260000lbs of fish a year.Again just food for thought.c63 grin.gif

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

better ? is how many walleyes float up on the beach every year. I dont think muskies are doing that much damage 2 the walleye population!

I don't think they only eat Walleyes do they?c63

I know they like a fresh Tullibee for dinner. I have heard that is there main course.

Quote:

I don't think they only eat Walleyes do they?c63

Mmmmmm... Tullibee. Much better choice for a top of the line predator! wink.gif

Yes, they will eat walleye, but in Mille Lacs, their primary forage is perch and tulibee.

There was a study from UWSP a few years ago on the diets of muskie. I don't have a jstor account so I can only find the abstract. If I recall, when comparing the findings to other studies on walleye diets, a walleye diet has a higher percentage of walleyes than than that of a muskie diet.

Although the study was in N. WI lakes, it would likely lead you to a better understanding of the makeup of a muskie diet.

Diets of Muskellunge in Northern Wisconsin Lakes, Michael A. Bozeka, Thomas M. Burria, and Richard V. Frieb.

no I think all they eat is loons

Quote:

no I think all they eat is loons

laugh.giflaugh.gif HHAAA!!!

I recall they also try to take the young of the year northerns first as they are the competing fish.Either way you slice 'em Muskys are a blast to catch and see in any body of water!!!!Good replies guys.....c63 grin.gif