Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fdr01

snelling lake

19 posts in this topic

i've heard there are some snot rockets to be caught in this lake.i've also heard it is very shallow and weedy.since the city lakes arent freezing yet i got a itch i gotta scratch so does anyone have anything they can tell me about said lake i would like to get out to cut holes and do some tip up fishing and a couple hammers would be fun too.

Really, really weedy. Never tried it in the winter, might be interesting. There are some scary-big carp in there! Let us know if you're planning an expedition.

yeah yesterday i went on the dnr website and found out it has an aorator confused.gifspell? so i dont know those things give me the creeps.plus the maps were no help as far as depth.plus the biggest pike caught was like 3#s.but it might be worth a look.

In the late nineties when I worked in Roseville and in-laws lived right off of CR I, I fished this lake a lot.

I think the aerator is way off on the west/south end. I would fish the east/ north end, out from launch. I would lurk around, until I found 15-17 FOW and graph fish. I caught some nice crappies out of that lake. Nothing bug, but after picking threw them, one could get enough for a meal. At least good action. I would go out of launch area right southwest, until I found depth. Small jig, spring bobber and a small crappie minnow. If they slow down, fish right under the ice. I worked second shift at the time and found 3:00 am to 6:00am a very productive period of time. Once and awhile, a hammer handle would rip me off.

Good luck!

Good luck!

try that tiny little thing right off 35W before 694 on the east side. it looks like an acre. there are always guys on that thing and it has to be frozen completely. i have no idea if they catch anything, but my guess is whatever gets in there during the spring high water is fished out really quickly this time of year.

I thought the same thing last year and ventured out there after work for a couple hours and didnt even catch a nibble or graph a fish ... maybe i was doing something wrong, but i moved around and tried different set ups , just no luck.

35W and 694? that is basically where my school is... are you saying right byt the beiswengers although on the other side? which side of 694? i have never seen this pond you talk about but it sounds interesting...

Later,

Ryan

It's just south of 694 on the east side of 35. I've always wondered about that lake too.

I think im gonna give that little pond a shot... has anyone been out on it yet this year? would like to hear an ice report at least before i go out..

Thanks,

Ryan

ive canoed and fished the lake in the summer and spring. There are a lot of very small gills in there, and i have seen some absolutely ridicoulous big carp in there. I believe the aerator is by a drainage pipe where the dock is in the summer. I am gonna try and go out this weekend just to see if the carp will bite through ice

Bubster,

Are you talking about the lake by 694and 35W or Snelling lake? thanks,

Ryan

Whats the name of the lake you can see on your right hand side going to 694 on hwy ten. It kiddy corner at lights ( I forget the croos steet, it take you up to snelling lake from ten). Is this the pond you guys are talking about?

Google maps is your friend!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1487635

Shackbash, the answer to your question is either west round lake or valentine.

I have fished all of these lakes and havent caught much but dinky little stunted bluegills and paperthin crappies.

Whoow! Back up/hold the phone???? I am sorry, start all over. confused.gif

Hi! My name is shackbash, what is yours? crazy.gif

I was talking about Snail Lake when I responded to to this thread. I am sorry.

Where is Snelling Lake? I have not been to that one yet.

I willl get back on track.

Quote:

round lake

Thanks! This is the one I was thinking of. Been years, but valentine was nother one I fished. I can not remember cathcing anything out of there either.

I also see the pond you guys are talking about. Never fished that.

If I was in this area fishing, I would stick to Snail, Long, johanna or Silver.

Ryan, the one that I was referring to was on E2 and 35W. Its really more of a pond than a lake unless you are trying to sell "Lakefront" property. never fished that before but have seen guys set tip ups on the SW corner of it.

shackbash snelling lake is located in fort snelling state park across the freeway from the airport

well i went out to lake(pond) "x" (the one on 35 and E2) and found myself with plenty of fish but nothing over five inches in the whole pond i dont think... If you saw three guys out there that was us! i was in my pak shack and the two buddies were just sitting outside with lanterns... we were out for about3 hours and caught about 20 4-6" crappies with a few sliver sized sunfish... there is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches out there by the way...

Later,

Ryan

Thanks! I should have known that. I was looking down Snelling Ave. on Google. I should have looked around by Fort Snelling. grin.gif

Thanks and sorry for mixing up the lakes. confused.gif