• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Como Lake

Do many people fish this lake in the winter? Its really close to school for me, just wondering if it is worth trting or if I should find another lake close by.

there have been posts about it in the past. not sure if they were just being smart or not. there are other lakes not too far from there that would be better bets. McCarron's, Gervais, etc. But, I might be wrong. Just make sure you know where the aerator is.

Every year there are a few regulars I see on the ice. There have been post on the lake and it does support pike, panfish, and catfish populations.

theres lots of pike in that lake. If you know how to target them there are larger ones also. They are old and picky and scared easy. I know people who have caught numerous 10 lb.+ pike.

Numerous 10 lb. plus pike? Nope. Absolutely false. Sorry.

That's the kind of false info that starts a stampede on a small lake like this. I've fished the lake in every season for many years, & while there are pike in Como, "numerous" 10 lb. pike is simply not accurate. "Numerous" 2 lb. pike, maybe.

However, the lake has become harder to fish. With the mobs out there the past two winters (often 20 or more people on weekends) the fish get spooked in the shallow water with all the commotion & quit biting. I only fished it because it was right out my front door, but there are better places in St. Paul to hunt.

I agree, not a chance at a 10lb. pike living in there.

I was out there all day Saturday and found some potato chip bluegills though grin.gif

If you go out there, be VERY careful around the aerator, the ice is very unpredictable.

uwecsteeple, is the aerator on already? It's usually not on this early.

And if/when it's on, be careful. There are a couple of different jets shooting in different directions, & the one that shoots southwest hasn't been as strong in the past, leading to a thin layer of ice that is invisible in cold weather but melts into open water once the temp comes up around freezing. I've had to yell at a couple of I*diots in the past walking right towards it.

Good rule of thumb - if you see an aerator, stay away from it!

I don't think it's on right now, but it looks like the DNR has the location marked with some kind of rod sticking out of the ice. I wanted to go investigate, but chose not too.

Quote:

Numerous 10 lb. plus pike? Nope. Absolutely false. Sorry.

That's the kind of false info that starts a stampede on a small lake like this. I've fished the lake in every season for many years, & while there are pike in Como, "numerous" 10 lb. pike is simply not accurate. "Numerous" 2 lb. pike, maybe.

However, the lake has become harder to fish. With the mobs out there the past two winters (often 20 or more people on weekends) the fish get spooked in the shallow water with all the commotion & quit biting. I only fished it because it was right out my front door, but there are better places in St. Paul to hunt.

no it is absolutely true my friend has been fishing this lake MANY years so he knows exactly what to do, and thats why he has so much success on that lake. He knows the lake very well

newice, that's the problem with second-hand information. grin.gif

I lived within blocks of the lake for over a decade. I've fished it summer, winter, & fall from shore, ice, canoe, paddle-boat, & small aluminum boat with the motor removed. Pike are my favorite fish. I hate to confess I've spent more hours on Como than any other lake in the Cities since it was two minutes outside my door.

There...are...not...lots...of..10...pound...northern...in...there.

Sorry, man - I don't mean to argumentative, it's just that I don't want people thinking this puddle is trophy pike water, 'cause it's not. It gets enough pressure as it is.

There are some nice, healthy pike in Como. If you *know* where & when to hit it, you can catch nice, solid fish. But numerous fish that big. Nope. Maybe one. Or two. Three, maybe.

You're not the guy I met there a couple years ago who claimed to have caught 200 pike in an afternoon of fishing with his dad, are you? tongue.gif Just kidding!

i just thought of another question. Being that the entire lake is in a city park, is it legal to fish this lake after dark?

Quote:

newice, that's the problem with second-hand information.
grin.gif

I lived within blocks of the lake for over a decade. I've fished it summer, winter, & fall from shore, ice, canoe, paddle-boat, & small aluminum boat with the motor removed. Pike are my favorite fish. I hate to confess I've spent more hours on Como than any other lake in the Cities since it was two minutes outside my door.

There...are...not...lots...of..10...pound...northern...in...there.

Sorry, man - I don't mean to argumentative, it's just that I don't want people thinking this puddle is trophy pike water, 'cause it's not. It gets enough pressure as it is.

There are some nice, healthy pike in Como. If you *know* where & when to hit it, you can catch nice, solid fish. But numerous fish that big. Nope. Maybe one. Or two. Three, maybe.

You're not the guy I met there a couple years ago who claimed to have caught 200 pike in an afternoon of fishing with his dad, are you?
tongue.gif
Just kidding!

I don't mean to be argumentative either. Its just that I have seen my friend catch these fish. Numerous may be the wrong word agreed, but i have seen some big fish out of their, A WARNING TO ALL you will not catch a 10 lb. northern without years of guidance. Farm kid do you go to como

newice, have you measured these fish? Never mind, I give up. I'll let people look at the DNR report, lake map, & size of Como & make their own logical conclusions. If your buddy wants to think he's catching 10 lb. pike on a regular basis, well, he's a fisherman, right? And we know they never exaggerate...

farm kid, the lake doesn't close at dark, I've been out there in the dark many times & haven't had any problems. There have been some issues with break-ins, however, so be a little careful (I know there's at least on FMer who had a car break-in at Como).

Maximum-weren't you the guy that was chased off by the sheriff a couple years back because they thought the ice was to thin to be on?

Farm Kid, I would look elsewhere. Hasn't Luke F. shown you any spots? There's getting to be less and less guys that can fish where you live. I guess you'll have to reverse that trend.

Check out your first post or give me a call. I can point you in the right direction.

One tip: Make the most of your month off from school and ice fish every day. That's what I did. smile.gif

Ill have to talk to Luke but he's graduating at the end of this semester so it doesn't look to good for that prospect up here, I might go with him somewhere around home though.

I plan to fish a lot during break back home, just looking for something to pass the time until then.

metrojoe, ha! Nope, that was Ralph, the other regular before Como became a zoo - I don't recall his screen name. He was crazy. I think I saw him jigging in the open water by the aerator once. laugh.gif

FarmKid, here's a tip if you're going to go to Como. Go during the week. You'll catch a lot more fish than when the crowds are doing their tap-dance a couple feet above their heads. If you're in school sounds like you'll have that opportunity. Lucky!

Farm Kid, I recommend Owasso if you are looking for something close to the SP campus. Far less people and better fishing than that weeded out cess pool known as Como.

everyone always talks about owasso being this big walleye and crappie lake but all i have ever caught is dinks. seems like the whole lake is over run with 6" crappies 4" perch and 8" walleyes... If anyone would like to let me in on a general area to fish on owasso i would appreciate it.. my email is [email protected]

Thanks

Ryan

there are nice fish in there, you just have to get through a thousand 6" crappie and 8" walleye to find them. . By no means is it a good lake to limit out on slab crappie or monster walleye. but it is still a good lake to fish. not everyone is after dinner...

true johnny if you want a lake to take a kid to or something this would be a freat one since the action seems unlimited on 6"ers. I have also never caught a big one... i dont know if i am fishing in the right spots though. I just fish in the community hole out from the beach there in about 25 feet and bring up the 6"ers nonstop... Anyone been out to check the ice lately?

Later,

Ryan

I fish a little hole on the northwest side. Mostly 8" crappies, 10-12" walleye, and the occasional northern. I like it because I can always catch something and I can be on the lake about 20 minutes after I leave work. Even drive past a bait shop on the way.

Oh, and I haven't been out yet to Owasso or anywhere else this year. I might check it out this weekend.

Excuse me Maximum12,but just bec ause of the dnr reports,doesnt mean they are not there.Do you know exactly where to go everytime?DIDNT THINK SO!! Not trying to argue,but I have caught a state certified 8lb3/4oz bass from McCarrons,and according to that survey,they dont exist either! Credentials to prove it here!! A lot of inner city lakes get overlooked,people always complain about eating the fish,ETC,but the plain truth is they are decent lakes to fish,any doubt,I PUT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS! I'm up tp the challenge of setting up a get togethert on a small mtro lake,matter of fact,I'll fund the days event!!!!

Good post on Como. I have worked in the energy park area and always take the scenic route past Como lake to get to work. I remember many many mornings seeing a shack or guy so close to the open water by the aerator I thought for sure one day I would read about the guy that fell in. I think but I could be wrong that his FM name was Stpaulfishing guy or something like that. He used to share some great info on Como. I have not seen any recent posts so maybe he did fall in. I could never bring myself to go on the ice on Como as the open water and aerator make me more skittish then I already am when on the ice. I have in the spring seen some healthy crappies come from the shorelines and it is for the most part unpressured during the summer. The winter however I have seen some days when there were 10 or more shacks on this pond as word got out about a bite.

Concerning the 10lb pike Max12 is not being completly honest with you. Here are the facts if you truely want a 10lb or larger pike. You have to cross the street and get onto the como golf course. There are some small but very deep ponds that are filled with goldfish and shinners. Underground channels connect these ponds to Como lake and every fall the large 10lb and larger pike migrate to these deep pike infested ponds to forage on the abundant supply of food. Early ice is best but get there early or during the week because if there are more then two or three guys on these ponds with tip ups or shacks it can get crowded fast......

thats an outstanding post Mr. Pike. i used to live right across the street from hole #11. the 300 yard par 4 that one time my drive hit the flag as guys were walking off and bounced out 2 inches away from the hole. i have gotten over that near miss. well, to be honest, i never have forgotten that St. Paul buys the cheapest hardest flag poles and robbed me of my second hole in one. if i ever see the person that runs the park system i will throw the cement mixer on him and stick him like the fish that he/she is. ok, thats being silly, but i remember laying on my back kicking and screaming like my kids did when i told them that was enough Teletubbies.

back to the story. i used to sneak in there at night and wade the ponds for balls at midnight when i was young and foolish. one day i was finishing up my round and saw something moving in the pond by 18. i thought it was some kind of fish. then when i got close, i saw it was a big snapper with a shell that looked like it was 24 inches long and its neck was as big as my forearm and its head was as big as my fist. honestly, i turned white and never went into that or any other pond there again.

With any lake out there, it is worth the time to fish, IF you know what you are doing... I have fished Como before in the past, and it is a decent lake to fish at.. TONS OF CRAPPIES AND SUNNIES with an occasional walleye or pike every now or then...

Mr. Pike, people look at me funny when I'm working & suddenly burst out laughing for no apparent reason. Please stop that. smile.gif

Blainbob, settle down there, big boy. Nobody is talking about McCarron's. And no one said Como isn't a decent fishing lake. It is. Focus, man, & take a chill!

Dont worry maxypad,BUT,you have to be fair. I*'m cool,but I'm just tryin to put up a bit of a fight for the metro lake guys.But in your thrad,youre bashing it

Quote:

I fish a little hole on the northwest side. Mostly 8" crappies, 10-12" walleye, and the occasional northern. I like it because I can always catch something and I can be on the lake about 20 minutes after I leave work. Even drive past a bait shop on the way.

Thanks for the advice johnny i didnt know there was a hole on the NW side... i just fish the SW and NE mostly... Might have to try that end out. How deep do you usually fish? if you want to talk more in depth you can shoot me an email at [email protected]

Thanks again for your advice!

Ryan