Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Saturday's Exploration Ice Report (12/1/07)

6 posts in this topic

At sunrise a few buddies and I met-up in the Pioneer area of the MS River backwaters. We adventured out onto 2" of ice, but didn't have much action so we moved to the West Newton area (1.5 - 3" of ice). Small gills were providing fast action on live bait, and crappies could be found higher in the water column and liked plastics. Largemouth bass hit basically anything. The weather started to move in, so we headed closer to home.

For the evening bite we blazed a trail out to KR7 (Kalmar) for a few hours. Man that hike is still long and hard. We setup on 5" of ice in the SE corner in 7FOW We put the hammer down on 3-6" sunfish and 7" crappies. Basically one after another. A few perch and green sunfish were also brought to hand.

With the exception of a few borderline keepers the day was filled with smaller fish (All fished released). Part of the problem is that we really couldn't safely get to where (we anticipated) the larger fish were active. Nonetheless, it felt go to be at home atop the ice again.

I live in winona and hear a lot of talk about fishing the backwaters on the ice. I was just wondering what you look for in a good backwater ice spot or if there are any good general areas in or around winona that might be safe soon

thanks

sam

Better fishing spots usually have a bit of current, but that also makes for weaker ice. There will be backwater channels that will carry current, and often times there will be cuts out of the current that will be eddy holes. These eddy holes can be good. Deep wood on the edge of current is perfect.

Often times you'll be looking for a little deeper water too, possibly with some structure (rocks, point, weeds, etc). I know the Winona area has areas of deeper water in the backwaters, but I'm not familiar with any specific areas.

Asking a local bait shop is another good choice as they should be able to give a few specific spots to try.

you might also look at and/or ask in the "mississippi river pools 4-11 forum here on fishing minnesota.

buck,

i live in winona and ice fish all over the area all season long whenever i can, right now the only safe ice i have found has been at mcnalays landing there at least 5 inches out there with a good three inches of good clear ice. plenty of fish outthere for everyone too, so go get em

thanks winona walleye. do you ever fish bartlett in the winter? or one of the small ponds right by it? i have got bass and northern out if there in the summer. if you do, what can you find out there?

thanks

sam